Opportunity

AuroranHusker

Well, this Nebrasketball team has another opportunity for a road victory. Minnesota is struggling mightily at the PG position, so this seems like a perfect opportunity for that rare win away from home in the B1G for the Huskers.

Worth noting that Nebraska's 4 conference losses are to teams 1st, 2nd, 5th (only a half-game from 2nd) and 7th (a full game out of 2nd). Obviously, Wisconsin is the cream of the crop with only 1 B1G loss. Michigan, Indiana & Iowa all have 3 losses to go with 6, 5 & 4 wins, respectively. Huskers currently in 8th with 4 wins, but only 1-1/2 games from 2nd. Wide-open race for a coveted top 4 finish in the conference this year.

Again, B1G opportunity for Nebraska to get a W in the Barn on Saturday. Then, next Tuesday an improved Northwestern squad comes to PBA.

Opportunity seemed lost after the performance at Crisler on Tuesday, but remember that NU lost to UM last year by double what happened the other night. Yeah, it wasn't pretty, but how many games are at the moment in college basketball.

Minnesota will be seeking an opportunistic win at home vs NU as well as the Gophers are currently 2nd to last at 2-7 in the league. Gophers ;are led by Andre Hollins, their SR leading scorer. Last time NU faced Minny Tai Webster came in & D'd up Hollins very well.  Might take another defensive all-out effort to get a W in the Twin Cities.

Tomorrow's game will go a long way toward determining whether we roll into the Big 10 tourney as a 17-13, 18-12, or 19-11 team. It will also determine a lot about our NIT seed. We only become a bubble team by reaching the tourney final.

I would disagree about having to reach the tourney final in order to be a bubble team.  You pessimistic attitude is drowning this message board, my friend. 

Yeah, I would also disagree about having to reach the tourney final.  I don't care, if someone wants to be a pessimist on the board then thats ok.  Having been on this board for many many many years, I know there are yearly pessimists that just don't want to be let down.  Shoot last year I was always saying theres a chance, theres a chance, theres a chance.  Even after our Wisconsin game there were some that said we needed a few wins in the tourney still.  I said we were in either way.  Its all about how everyone views the team, and what not.

We are fine, as last year at this time we were 3-5 in the Big 10 and 11-10 overall or something like that.  We didn't need to "make the finals" to get there.  I remember saying this quote many a times last year, especially after the Michigan loss, and some ridiculed me for it.  There is still a chance, and a good chance at that.  We just can't falter in games that we need to win, and have to win a few surprisers.  Not a LOT, but 1-2.

As for me, I have always been an optimist, and I set the goals high.  Some people say they would rather be surprised instead of disappointed, but I disagree.  If you are surprised, I feel you set your goals too low.  If you are disappointed, I believe you set your goals high, and you just didn't get there.  To me thats ok because that means we are never giving up until the end.  I would rather be disappointed than surprised, and I hope the coaches, and players feel that way as well.  Its a message board, these guys one here do not play the game or coach the game... as fas as we all know  :huh: ... so let them be pessimistic or optimistic.  The only ones I need with me being optimistic is the players and the coaches.

In the words of a famous sports movie that has nothing to do with basketball........... "Win em, and they will come."

Tomorrow's game will go a long way toward determining whether we roll into the Big 10 tourney as a 17-13, 18-12, or 19-11 team. It will also determine a lot about our NIT seed. We only become a bubble team by reaching the tourney final.

I would disagree about having to reach the tourney final in order to be a bubble team.  You pessimistic attitude is drowning this message board, my friend. 

It's actually wildly optimistic, my man, take a look at the RPI Forecast:  http://www.rpiforecast.com/teams/Nebraska.html and you'll see that - just going by the numbers - we'll be lucky to get past 16 wins in the regular season.

That's kinda harsh.  I would never accuse Jimmy of having a pessimistic attitude nor of drowning this message board.  I tend to think he's right.  We're running out of opportunities to make a run and we've got a lot of ground to make up in order to reach the bubble.  Three really bad losses early in the season hang like an albatross around our neck.  We haven't otherwise built up a resume to offset those early losses and the official NCAA rpi currently has us at #98, which is a loooooong way from being a bubble team.

It's not pessimism to survey the landscape and conclude that we look more like an NIT team this year, because that's pretty much what we look like right now. 

Pessimist, schmessimist, I would call myself a realist at this point. However I will be more than happy to let GATA gloat as much as he wants if we sweep the remaining games. In that case, I would think it would not matter how we do in the tourney. It is certainly possible and that should pump some sunshine down to all those drowning folks.

I like the philosophy of "one game at a time!" If I allow myself to get wrapped up in the whole bubble thing, I will just drive myself nuts!

If you look at the margin of loss with Minnesota, Penn State and Northwestern(all left remaining on our schedule) in conference games, it's crazy to think what their records could be with one more play here or one more made bucket there.

I just want the fellas to bounce back from Tuesday nights performance. Win or lose, just have a better showing. I hope they don't hang their heads if the shots aren't falling!

Anyone else having Gopher stew for dinner tomorrow night?

I di laugh at the shirts because they were something new. I did look it up to see what corn really is and this is what I found:

Corn, Zea mays, belongs to the Poaceae family, and while eaten sometimes as a vegetable and sometimes as a grain, it is actually classified by botanists as a fruit, as are tomatoes, green peppers, cucumbers, zucchini and other squashes. Sweet corn is a variant in which the sugar in the fruit kernels turns from sugar to starch less slowly after harvest.

I did not know that myself, so I learned something new today.

I di laugh at the shirts because they were something new. I did look it up to see what corn really is and this is what I found:

Corn, Zea mays, belongs to the Poaceae family, and while eaten sometimes as a vegetable and sometimes as a grain, it is actually classified by botanists as a fruit, as are tomatoes, green peppers, cucumbers, zucchini and other squashes. Sweet corn is a variant in which the sugar in the fruit kernels turns from sugar to starch less slowly after harvest.

I did not know that myself, so I learned something new today.

We need to quit falling into the trap of comparing this years' team with last years' just because MOST of the players are the same. Each season is a different proposition. Different personality, variables and numerous other dynamics. I fall back on the "Eyeball" test, does this team look like it can rattle off 5-6 wins in a row? I don't think so. Hope I'm wrong, but our inconsistent play hangs on us like a stink.

We need to quit falling into the trap of comparing this years' team with last years' just because MOST of the players are the same. Each season is a different proposition. Different personality, variables and numerous other dynamics. I fall back on the "Eyeball" test, does this team look like it can rattle off 5-6 wins in a row? I don't think so. Hope I'm wrong, but our inconsistent play hangs on us like a stink.

No doubt. This team did win 4 out of 5. They have to a chance to string a few together, but the discombobulated nature of their recent performance doesn't seem to indicate a repeat of that feat any time soon. But, again, last season didn't look like a great run would ensue, either. So, I can see either perspective, quite frankly. Oh well, the 'next' game is the one that matters now. Thus, the opportunity for a rare road victory is up for grabs for Nebrasketball! GBR

Mascot for Minnesota sort of looks like Curious George with an overbite. But back to basketball, the question here is can we make the Gophers play any worse than in Lincoln? This will be very difficult. However, perhaps we could manage a better effort ourselves. This should be easier to do. Which coach will make the necessary adjustments? Tune in tomorrow, boys and girls.

Mascot for Minnesota sort of looks like Curious George with an overbite. But back to basketball, the question here is can we make the Gophers play any worse than in Lincoln? This will be very difficult. However, perhaps we could manage a better effort ourselves. This should be easier to do. Which coach will make the necessary adjustments? Tune in tomorrow, boys and girls.

Adjustments will be very key! GBR

Thanks for posting this. The team, our team is much better than last years by a lot. Unfortunately last years bubble dance still weighs on expectations. I have to remind myself often that we are a better team than last year. Cut him some slack. I am guilty of this as anyone from time to time. This is still our team. tux

PS: Chicken enchiladas with Sips sauce for my super bowl diner.

It's actually wildly optimistic, my man, take a look at the RPI Forecast:  http://www.rpiforecast.com/teams/Nebraska.html and you'll see that - just going by the numbers - we'll be lucky to get past 16 wins in the regular season.

Wasn't this the metric that had us winning like 3 conference games going into B1G play? just curious.

Thanks for posting this. The team, our team is much better than last years by a lot. Unfortunately last years bubble dance still weighs on expectations. I have to remind myself often that we are a better team than last year. Cut him some slack. I am guilty of this as anyone from time to time. This is still our team. tux

PS: Chicken enchiladas with Sips sauce for my super bowl diner.

Steve Sipple makes a sauce?  Hope it has more flavor than his articles....  ;)