Fuller

TourneyBound

I'm not going to question Miles decisions very often and Im sure he has his reasons but why not put him in the game last night?? He couldn't have played any worse than the other guys out there. If he is a so called shooter than let him try to light up that zone defense Michigan was playing. We needed some scorers out there to soften it up. I just don't see how he is that bad of a defensive player that we can't see what he can do in a few games., especially last night.

I'm not going to question Miles decisions very often and Im sure he has his reasons but why not put him in the game last night?? He couldn't have played any worse than the other guys out there. If he is a so called shooter than let him try to light up that zone defense Michigan was playing. We needed some scorers out there to soften it up. I just don't see how he is that bad of a defensive player that we can't see what he can do in a few games., especially last night.

The only thing we know is what we see.  We do not see anything that goes on behind closed doors.  There could be an issue we don't even know about.  Who knows what is going on.  Perhaps he is battling an injury... maybe he wants to transfer... the possibilities are endless.  I am just saying we may not know the whole story.

I'd agree that Miles & Co. had a rough night with substitutions. Fuller & either Leslee or Moses could have assisted with rebounding & easy buckets on the offensive end. Hopefully Saturday in the Twin Cities will be a great night of shooting, passing & rebounding!

Can you explain what you mean by this? 

Offensive rebounding & post-feeds, I thought it was fairly obvious.

Hi Norm.  Not trying to answer for AuroranHusker, but I also mentioned 'easy shots' in the game thread

hskr4life, on 27 Jan 2015 - 4:45 PM, said:snapback.png

Pretty happy with the half other than the offense.  Playing that bad, we are right in it.  WE WILL WIN.

(sorry but  I haven't mastered the art of quoting functionality yet)

"RedDon said:

++++  We make any of those easy shots in the first half and we're way ahead!"

One example might be the dunk Walt missed earlier in the game.  (IIRC, didn't Walt also have a reverse dunk, when he was feeling good in the B1G tourny, I think, late last year, that he missed, & things started to go downhill from there?)

Don't know what it is with the Huskers & Dunks.  Petteway had one go out vs Mich St, now Pitchford!  :(

Now I think it's just frustration (i.e  I'll show just how hard I can Dunk- so hard it bounces right back out) but it seems symptomatic of the season we're having.

Back to your question.  You're probably right, there are no 'easy' shots; Maybe it should be 'easier' shots.  That is shorter-range, higher-percentage shots.  Without going back to watch the tape (not sure I could take it) I think you'd probably agree there were a lot of shots the Huskers took in the paint that you'd expect to make that just weren't falling - the failure to fall-in seemingly feeding on itself.

I'd agree that Miles & Co. had a rough night with substitutions. Fuller & either Leslee or Moses could have assisted with rebounding & easy buckets on the offensive end. Hopefully Saturday in the Twin Cities will be a great night of shooting, passing & rebounding!

Well, apparently I'm not very bright, then, because I wasn't sure what you were getting at and I wanted clarity before responding so as not to misinterpret your meaning.

Well, apparently I'm not very bright, then, because I wasn't sure what you were getting at and I wanted clarity before responding so as not to misinterpret your meaning.

Gotcha. Our big guys aren't known for their range w/ Leslee & Moses. Sorry it wasn't as clear as I'd hoped...

• 2 weeks later...

Since defense vs offense has been on the forefront lately: Would Fuller be playing/playing more if the team was more offense oriented? Would that equate into more wins? Would we have changed our mind about recruiting him if he had the same philosophy 2-3 years back when recruiting him?

I thought this kid would be a stone cold gunner, and he and Walter would have 15 - 17 point nights ONCE in awhile to go along with the Big 2. That obviously hasn't happened, but what puzzles me is this. Why is a team that has such poor outside shooting so in love with the 3?

Because they haven't been able to get to the rim without drawing a lot of uncalled contact.

i was watching the penn state game, and he got in, during the fist half, found himself in the corner, open shot..his wheelhouse.. he dosnt take it, takes a awkward dribble drive lost it on the baseline. 

He needs to take those shots, in the minutes he does get. If he isnt gonna take than i dont what else he provides. 

As to what else Fuller brings other than the three point shot:

He occasionally drives to the basket successfully.

He actually attempts and is sometimes successful at getting offensive rebounds which is a rare commodity on this team.

He moves intelligently and quickly without the ball to get open which is a also a rare commodity on this team.

And even though Miles says he's a skilled shooter I have yet to see a screen set for him.

Puzzling....

He actually attempts and is sometimes successful at getting offensive rebounds which is a rare commodity on this team.

He moves intelligently and quickly without the ball to get open which is a also a rare commodity on this team.

And even though Miles says he's a skilled shooter I have yet to see a screen set for him.

Puzzling....

i do like his offensive rebounding, but i need to see him hit that shot, that's what he is on scholarship for, that's what he needs to bring

i was watching the penn state game, and he got in, during the fist half, found himself in the corner, open shot..his wheelhouse.. he dosnt take it, takes a awkward dribble drive lost it on the baseline. 

He needs to take those shots, in the minutes he does get. If he isnt gonna take than i dont what else he provides. 

How much of this is a result of Fuller simply being "uncomfortable" in a big time B1G game considering he has so little experience.  I think this goes to the heart of Dimes question.  The reason Fuller was not getting valuable experience during early non-conf. games or even early conf. games is b/c the focus has been so much on defense.  Had Fuller received more experience early on in the season, he might be more comfortable taking that shot today.  But as it stands, he is a bit of a fish out of water with so little experience this late in the season.

Since defense vs offense has been on the forefront lately: Would Fuller be playing/playing more if the team was more offense oriented? Would that equate into more wins? Would we have changed our mind about recruiting him if he had the same philosophy 2-3 years back when recruiting him?

I think this is a very legitimate question.

I thought this kid would be a stone cold gunner, and he and Walter would have 15 - 17 point nights ONCE in awhile to go along with the Big 2. That obviously hasn't happened, but what puzzles me is this. Why is a team that has such poor outside shooting so in love with the 3?

Because they haven't been able to get to the rim without drawing a lot of uncalled contact.

Fair point Norm, I'd love to see Shields & Pitchford elevate and take a 15 footer more often than never...

I think this is a very legitimate question.

Which one?  :)

Puzzling....

I think its hard for a kid that comes in off the bench cold for 2-3 minutes to chuck shots right away.  Anytime Fuller got 8 minutes or more he made shots and got rebounds we needed.

As we have all notice there is really 2 plays.  One for Terran on the pick and roll/pop and one for Shavon on the curl through the lane. Otherwise I think everyone else is on their own to score.  This is not a very good Nebraska offense to get more players involved.  I really like the swing offense because everyone is involved and moving.

The Really bad stat line is Pitchford playing over 30 minutes a game and getting less than 5 points and 5 rebounds a game in Bigten play for a 6'10 guy in his second year of alot of playing time.

Puzzling....

Bingo Bango ... You have described one of my more frustrating issues with our coaching staff this year.

How much of this is a result of Fuller simply being "uncomfortable" in a big time B1G game considering he has so little experience.  I think this goes to the heart of Dimes question.  The reason Fuller was not getting valuable experience during early non-conf. games or even early conf. games is b/c the focus has been so much on defense.  Had Fuller received more experience early on in the season, he might be more comfortable taking that shot today.  But as it stands, he is a bit of a fish out of water with so little experience this late in the season.

he has to shed that uncomfortably and show something, so far ill ive seen him do was be a decent rebounder and not be as much of a defensive liability as i thought he would be, but thats not why he is here, and passing up, wide open corner three's will not endear him, or give the coached confidence, this team desperately needs spacing and he is supposed to be the one that provides off the bench.