After last night's game can't help but look at next year's team...

bkamler

I have attempted to rate next year's team by positions............

Point Guard Rating: Fair trending toward Good?

Smith backed up by Watson - Parker on the bench

Shooting Guard Rating: Very Good - Assuming Petteway comes back

Petteway backed by White - Webster on the bench

Shooting Forward: Good

Shields backed by Fuller or McVeigh

Don't really have a true Center so combining Power Forward/Center Positions: Fair

Morrow at Power Forward and Hammond, Pitchford, Jacobson in and out.

Critical Needs:

Additional scoring to help the Huskers next year:

Smith and White are probable in that category

Guys who might be able to help score more next year:

Fuller & McVeigh

Better ball handling:

Watson hopefully will help and White may help

Improved rebounding:

Morrow probably

Hammond maybe

Fuller has shown me he has the "want to" as a rebounder but doesn't get any playing time

Not giving up on this year but my mind starting wandering after last night!!!!!

I like talking about Next Year whether this one is going well or not.

Having said that, I'm not sure I agree with where you have players slotted.

White is not going to back up Petteway at the SG spot.

With Rivers graduated, Shields will move to the PF spot making room for White at the SF spot formerly occupied by Shields.  (Or, if you're icedragon, White will move into the spot formally occupied by Shields.)  And then Shields will slide over and take Rivers' place at the 4.

Morrow will back up both Pitchford and Shields. 

That's how I see it, anyway.

Starters:

PG  -- Watson (if he's all that; otherwise Smith)

SG  -- Petteway

SF  -- White

PF  -- Shields

C  -- Pitchford

Bench:

Morrow, 6th man backing either the 4 or the 5

Smith/Parker backing the point.  Smith can also situationally back the 2

Webster playing 1-3

Deep bench:

Hammond

Jacobson

Fuller

Aussie dude redshirts

I also do not see Parker playing that low.  He has to much experience, and it will take Watson, like Smith, some adjustment time.  Morrow may even be in need of a little adjustment, but he will be expected to contribute right away.  

Not saying that either of those two won't start from day one because they very well could.  

Next year we have a lot of options..... up top that is... down low... we will be thin.

I'm sure I'm going to mess this up somehow. I'm a newby posting for the first time!

This thread is interesting because I have found myself thinking about next year a lot as well. Its a great class, in addition to what we have returning is keeping my optimism high. I am especially super excited about Morrow and what he brings to the team. But, I'm like most and in no way will I give up on this year. 

Happy to finally be a member and looking forward to talking some Nebrasketball with everyone.

I'm sure I'm going to mess this up somehow. I'm a newby posting for the first time!

This thread is interesting because I have found myself thinking about next year a lot as well. Its a great class, in addition to what we have returning is keeping my optimism high. I am especially super excited about Morrow and what he brings to the team. But, I'm like most and in no way will I give up on this year. 

Happy to finally be a member and looking forward to talking some Nebrasketball with everyone.

Welcome... its hard not to look forward to one of the best classes we have signed in a lonnnnngggg time.  Its also hard for me, some others maybe not so much, but for me to forget about what THIS TEAM minus Gallegos did last year.  We are right there... we CAN DO IT AGAIN.

I too don't post but I enjoy reading everyone's opinions. I am especially excited for next year's season -- and beyond -- with the talent influx that Coach Miles is bringing in. We are fortunate that Miles has pieced together a competitive team with some of Doc Stadler's recruits and a number of transfers. The best way to build a team is to start with a solid nucleus of freshmen and then each year add three quality freshmen. And the next year, do it again. And again. I think Miles is the 'guy' to do it.

The bonus with next year's incoming class is Andrew White becoming eligible. Next year, not only are we bringing in four talented freshmen for a promising future(may prove to be best freshman class to date -- Tim will bring in many more classes that we be more talented than we ever had at Nebraska), Andrew White becoming eligible brings immediate help to a talented group of upperclassman (who should be hungry for a deep run in the NCAA tournament).

Win/Win for this recruiting class -- both immediate help and also laying a solid foundation for the future.

If you can't tell -- I am a Kool aid drinker for Husker basketball and proud of it. For the last two years, I have been telling all my friends that 'Tim Miles will do for Husker basketball what Bob Devaney did for Husker football.' I am also predicting that we will have a statue of Tim Miles in front of the Pinnacle in twenty years.

Like I said, I drink the Kool aid (cherry) and I love what is going in Husker basketball land.

Does anyone else want Nick Fuller to transfer and open up a scholarship for a JUCO center or senior graduate center to strengthen next year's team??? Can you imagine a legitimate big guy to go with Andrew White added to Petteway, Shields, Pitchford, Smith, Hammond, Parker -- plus the freshmen -- WOW!!! The future could start next season.

welcome guys and great first posts. Okay not first for 75, but still good.;)

I don't see Fuller leaving because he has already used his red shirt. Which would mean one year of waste and then two to play. Still think good things will come from him in the next couple of years. Just not enough minutes to go around right now.

Next year will be much more smooth offensively, one would imagine. Defensively, they ought to long & lean at nearly every spot.

Starters w/ depth that would seem likely when you're 9 months out from the 2015-16 season:

PG Parker/Smith/Watson

SG Petteway/Webster

SF White III/Shields

PF Shields/Morrow Jr./Fuller

C Pitchford/Hammond/JUCO-or-grad-transfer

Redshirt possibilites: Jacobson and/or McVeigh

welcome guys and great first posts. Okay not first for 75, but still good. ;)

I don't see Fuller leaving because he has already used his red shirt. Which would mean one year of waste and then two to play. Still think good things will come from him in the next couple of years. Just not enough minutes to go around right now.

Yep and next year could be the same way.  I look for Fuller to really turn it on his Jr and Sr years.  Most people still forget he is just a Freshman (SO Age wise)

What are peoples thoughts on the ball handling ability of White?  Can he help handle the ball if we were to go bigger and have Petteway White Shields Morrow Pitchford lineup?  We would not be large in the middle obviously, but we would be very long and have incredible backcourt size. 

That would certainly be a very long & athletic lineup. Imagine a Syracuse-like amoeba zone D with that group!

Interesting that several posters have McVeigh red-shirting.  And no one is saying much about shooting.    What's the biggest weakness of this year's team?  I would say it sucks at shooting.   With the entire world (except Izzo) zoning the hell out of us, and not even guarding a couple of players beyond 12 feet (See, Smith, Tarin), the emphasis should be getting some shooters in the program and on the floor.  Supposedly this is what McVeigh can do.  Apparently White can as well, but we'll need more than him, especially if Terran doesn't return. 

MIles frequently mentions that we only have 2 scorers.  Adding White will provide another one, or at least a shooter,even if it costs us a little defensively, per rumor.  Someone will either need to develop as a scorer/shooter, such as Smith or Webster, or we'll need to add a couple.  That's why I'm so intrigued with Watson.  Will be interesting to see what he can do.  If he's the real deal, playing time will abound. 

Interesting that several posters have McVeigh red-shirting.  And no one is saying much about shooting.    What's the biggest weakness of this year's team?  I would say it sucks at shooting.   With the entire world (except Izzo) zoning the hell out of us, and not even guarding a couple of players beyond 12 feet (See, Smith, Tarin), the emphasis should be getting some shooters in the program and on the floor.  Supposedly this is what McVeigh can do.  Apparently White can as well, but we'll need more than him, especially if Terran doesn't return. 

MIles frequently mentions that we only have 2 scorers.  Adding White will provide another one, or at least a shooter,even if it costs us a little defensively, per rumor.  Someone will either need to develop as a scorer/shooter, such as Smith or Webster, or we'll need to add a couple.  That's why I'm so intrigued with Watson.  Will be interesting to see what he can do.  If he's the real deal, playing time will abound. 

I think the main question with McVeigh is whether he will be quick enough and strong enough to guard on the defensive end.  Fuller is a RS freshman on the roster who reportedly can stroke it, but can't see the floor on an abysmal shooting team this year.  From the very little film I have seen of McVeigh (not muc to go by, basically playing in a pick-up game), he did not look exceptionally athletic to me.  This is probably my main concern with him.  A bit of a tweener.  Not big or strong enough to guard the 4 and not quick enough to guard the 3.  Really, really, really hope I am wrong and that he is more athletic than his limited film showed.

Thought the results are great, we expend a lot of energy on defense. The downside is that we will loaf on offense at times or play without as much energy. We either need to slow it down to Wisconsin/Michigan pace or have a 8-10 player rotation. (We could also just decide to outscore people but that doesn't seem like us.)

That will be the question this summer: how many guys can we play?

FWIW Miles on Sports Nightly said he didn't bring in a top 25 class to sit on the bench.

Thought the results are great, we expend a lot of energy on defense. The downside is that we will loaf on offense at times or play without as much energy. We either need to slow it down to Wisconsin/Michigan pace or have a 8-10 player rotation. (We could also just decide to outscore people but that doesn't seem like us.)

FWIW Miles on Sports Nightly said he didn't bring in a top 25 class to sit on the bench.

He did say that, and it wasn't remotely subtle. 

There will still be some movement on this team prior to the start of practice next year.  It is hard to project line ups at this point, as so much depends on the continuing development of skills.  I will say this, do not count out Webster in your projections.  Also, if he builds like I believe he can, do not be surprised if Jake earns significantly more time. 

McVeigh, Jacobson, and Watson are all three point shooters.  That alone might get them on the court.  

If we have a lineup of Watson, Petteway, White, Shields, and Pitchford, we're going to score a lot of points to go with a ton of athleticism.  I think we'll see Shields emerge into a three point threat next season.  Additionally, if we have Parker, Smith, Webster, Morrow, McVeigh, Jacobson, and Hammond ready to go on the bench, we could actually roll out a second lineup that is stronger defensively than the first bunch.  

There are so many perceivable options next year it's scary.  

He said that? 

Where the hell is Trickey with his Sports Nightly run downs?

I assumed Miles wasn't doing a show anymore since Trickey hadn't been typing up the summary.

Trick?  Where you at?  We need you, man!

I only caught the last 15 minutes of the show. That nugget was part of fairly detailed question and answer from him. I'm going to definitely pull up the audio today.

FWIW, the film I've seen of Watson leads me to guess that he's one of those lucky individuals who is blessed with shooting touch.  I don't know about his range, but he seems to have a knack for finding the bottom of the net.  I tentatively penciled him in as the starter.

I agree we need shooters, and White should fit that bill.  I think you get a guy in there like White who can fill it up and it'll rub off on everyone else.

Miles has alluded to this phenomenon in the past, talking about freethrow shooting in a game.  If one guy gets up there and does poorly at the stripe, it seems to rub off on everyone during the game and you wind up with a bad freethrow shooting night.

I think the same thing applies with 3-point shooting.  I think we're having a down year in part because Walter has struggled and I think his struggles have worn off on others.  But White is one of those guys who can flat out drill it.  He doesn't have the odd hitches that cause him to be inconsistent the way Walter does.  With White in the picture, I'd almost guarantee we'll see better numbers from Shavon and probably from Terran as well.

Miles tends to run with a very short bench.  If McVeigh doesn't redshirt, I don't see him commanding a lot of minutes.  I think he's a kid who probably would benefit from a year of acclimating to the American game and who would potentially be a lot better as a 5th year player than what you'd get out of him his 1st year.  Maybe he plays, but unless he's just tons better right now than I expect he'll be, I don't see how he works his way into the top 8 or 9 in the rotation.  And, at that point, his minutes will be small enough he might as well save a year of playing eligibility.