uneblinstu's Post Game Chatter: ed 7, vol 18 - Minnesota

uneblinstu

I just want to say that Tarin Smith, if he isn't already, is going to be a baller. Love watching him play. He has easy athleticism and is hard-nosed defensively. My only issue with him, and it's probably because he's a freshman getting used to D-1 basketball, is he needs to be a little more aware of trailing defenders, particularly against the press. He nearly had the ball poked out a couple of times.

But that's just nitpicking.

It's hard to believe a player of this quality was available to us late in the recruiting process. Right place right time I guess.

And, to think, a lot of people had a whole lot of consternation that Trey Dickerson went with Iowa. Well, Iowa just got hammered at Wisconsin 82-50. Trey was their "player of the game" when he played 10 minutes w/ 8 pts, 1 assist & 1 steal. Nebraska is getting 20-30 minutes a night from Tarin Smith & NU has him for 3 more years! I think NU got the real gem & Iowa got a Trey-maker.

-Amazing how an officiating crew can ref two totally different halfs like tonight. Brutal to watch the second half especially after what I thought was a fairly competent first half and a really well reffed Wisconsin game. Anybody catch Miles and Pitino sharing a laugh after a string of tough fouls in the second half. Eades turned and told them to stop. 

-That was the hardest I've seen Tai play in his time here. He broke down the zone with the dribble very effectively twice and avoided the ball handling turnovers that have plagued him. 

-Time for Tarin to start, time for Shavon to not be involved in bringing the ball up against the press. 

-I bet Shavon shoots 55% from 16 ft. So crazy that he's hovering around 21% from 3. 

-Think Moses's minutes we limited by matchups, not quality of play. 

Ugh. So many 3s. This team cannot live on the 3-pt line.

We're in danger of moving below 30% for the year and possibly becoming one of the worst 3pt shooting teams in Husker History. We shot 27.4% in the 2002-03 season as Andrew Drevo made the most treys that year.

Brutal numbers. The one I can't figure out is Shields - his mid-range shot is so far above average, but he goes 3-5 feet farther out and this season he's been so far below average. Very strange. Have to think it's a mental thing now, as he was better behind the arc last season. When he takes a 3, it's a good look most of the time - he rarely forces it anytime, but especially from 3. 

If NU can get Shields going a bit from back there & Petteway can get over his FT mind block, they'd both probably bump up their scoring average by 3-5 pts per game. With the way NU is playing defense another 7-8 pts per game would be huge for this team.

We're in danger of moving below 30% for the year and possibly becoming one of the worst 3pt shooting teams in Husker History. We shot 27.4% in the 2002-03 season as Andrew Drevo made the most treys that year.

Brutal numbers. The one I can't figure out is Shields - his mid-range shot is so far above average, but he goes 3-5 feet farther out and this season he's been so far below average. Very strange. Have to think it's a mental thing now, as he was better behind the arc last season. When he takes a 3, it's a good look most of the time - he rarely forces it anytime, but especially from 3. 

If NU can get Shields going a bit from back there & Petteway can get over his FT mind block, they'd both probably bump up their scoring average by 3-5 pts per game. With the way NU is playing defense another 7-8 pts per game would be huge for this team.

And Pitch is at only 31%... the whole team is barely 30% to rank in the bottom 20% of all of college basketball. Just adding 5-7% better shooting from 3-ball would add a couple of baskets a game depending on the number shot from behind the arc.

Did Rivers get put in the dog house last night?

Yes.  After his promising start, he struggled to be productive.  And I think he made some defensive errors; Miles was in his grill pretty good after a couple of made 3s by Minny.

The major upside of having depth: The option to sit guys having off nights

As poorly as everyone has been shooting at the Pinnacle lately, I wonder if the refs are going to start checking for underinflation of the game balls now.

:)  I know this is a play on the Patriots...but...I asked those around me last night if they thought we tightened the rims...the balls sure hit them like bricks at times...

And Pitch is at only 31%... the whole team is barely 30% to rank in the bottom 20% of all of college basketball. Just adding 5-7% better shooting from 3-ball would add a couple of baskets a game depending on the number shot from behind the arc.

We could sure do with a player development/shooting coach, like Chip Engelland for the Spurs. It would do wonders for our offense.

The Gopher Rivals site has a free article here on last night's game.  It's fairly upbeat, given all their tough-luck circumstances of late.

But here's how it starts out: 

"The Nebraska Cornhuskers have defeated the Minnesota Gophers three times in a row. Let that sink in." 

Pretty funny and kinda cool, all at the same time. 

Well, that three-peat feat hasn't been accomplished by Nebraska since 1936-38.

As poorly as everyone has been shooting at the Pinnacle lately, I wonder if the refs are going to start checking for underinflation of the game balls now.

Well...

http://www.startribune.com/sports/blogs/289319131.html

The comments section at the bottom of the article is hilarious!

Award-winning "ball" reference...

Bad Balls II:

Hollins has some balls. :D

We could sure do with a player development/shooting coach, like Chip Engelland for the Spurs. It would do wonders for our offense.

I'd like to see Ali Faroukmanesh (sp?) take Tai and Tarin aside in the off-season and show them how to shoot the damn ball.  Thems that knows should be showing thems that don't.  And Ali is one of thems that knows.

I'd like to see Ali Faroukmanesh (sp?) take Tai and Tarin aside in the off-season and show them how to shoot the damn ball.  Thems that knows should be showing thems that don't.  And Ali is one of thems that knows.

Who are you.... Gollum?

Precious;)

The publicity surrounding Tai winning the GATA award following the Minnesota game caused me to realize I had been mispronouncing it all this time.  They all say it with a long "A". as in "Gait".  I had been saying it like "Gadda".    Quite the revelation.  Was I the only one?