uneblinstu's Post Game Chatter: ed 7, vol 18 - Minnesota

uneblinstu

Holy bricks! There's so much to say about this game...

- I'll start here: There's a huge, huge, huge officiating problem in college basketball. This was as bad as I've seen and I've seen some doozies. 

- That T on Shavon was as absurd as I think I've ever seen. First off, it was a bad call on the initial foul, then when Shavon and Petteway reacted in frustration (and Shavon's not completely without fault, he let all the words fly, but he didn't direct them at the ref and by the time he turned around he appeared to be done), he stood, put his whistle back in his mouth and waited for Shavon to walk in his direction before he called the T. That's awful. Tom Eades, that's Karl Hess levels of ego. And then he apparently threw a "Boom" in there when he called it. I mean, how is that tolerated? I didn't see the on on Pitchford, but given how terrible the rest of the game was, I'm gonna assume it was sketchy, sketch.

- Tai's time on the bench seems to have gotten his attention, he looked as good as he's looked in a long time. The points will come. I still believe he's going to be an important player in this program.

- It's probably time to start Tarin Smith. Not a slight to Benny, but Smith's the best PG right now and I think Benny can be the spark off the bench again. I don't know if it happens for Saturday, but I think it happens sooner rather than later.

- The team looks better when Leslee Smith. I hope he can carry more of the load as the season continues. He can actually do things occasionally offensively when he gets right.

- Walter's a rabble rouser.

- I thought Shields was too laid back in the first half. Would have liked to see him be more aggressive early.

- Gotta get back to being a good free throw shooting team.

- I was surprised how little of a post game Minnesota also has.

- Congrats to Terran for getting 1,000 career points.

That's all for now. Big, big, big game on Saturday.

This post has been promoted to an article

That was the worst college game I think I've ever seen. 

I'd like to see the box score, but it was damn near 30 combined turnovers and probably close to 40 or maybe even more combined fouls. 

The shooting percentages were atrocious across the board.  Neither team could hit the broad side of a barn.  At one point, Minnesota was something like 13 of 40 from the floor but 8 of those makes and 13 of those attempts were from three, so they were basically 5 of 27 from 2-point range.  That's less than 20 percent.  WTF?

But we weren't much better.

But as bad as the teams played, the officials had about the worst games of their careers as well.  It's bad enough that the teams are playing like crap.  It makes it practically unwatchable when you add in the element of atrocious reffing on top of everything else that was horrible about that game.

About the only thing good about it was we got Runzas.  After the game.  For whatever the temperature was at 6 a.m. this morning.  Great deal.  Would be better without all that global warming.

This was a street fight tonight.  We played great defense, especially in the second half.  But we were terrible handling the press in the first half...again.  Enter TSmith, and the turnovers stopped.  Free throw shooting...yikes.  Rebounding...pretty darn good.  Assists...better.  Overall offense...very challenged.

- Walt was a stud on defense and rebounded well.  I wish he would look for his shot just a tad more.  The T...I am not going to say anything.

- TP is simply not having fun on the court...he looks stressed all the time.  Dude, relax, enjoy your talent. 

- Shavon really struggled at times, then looked good, then struggled, then looked good...you get what I am saying right?

- Benny...you have a left hand, ya gotta start using it.  But you saved the day with your free throws.  Thanks for hanging tough.

- David struggled again tonight (after hitting the first shot of the game).  We need you David...

- I think Leslee had four points and two rebounds in about six minutes...when he gets into better shape he should help down the stretch.

- Moses...was a no show tonight.  Nothing more, nothing less.

- TSmith...love ya man.  Way to handle the pressure.  Need you to hit your FT's, but a very good game.

- Tai...way to come back from the abyss tonight.  He flat out acted like stink in Hollins armpits in the second half.  He looked like he got his confidence back...wonderful to see. 

We are kind of getting our rotation set for the run guys...this may get fun again :)

Minnesota finished 8 of 20 from deep. They were 8 of 32 from inside the arc.

Nebraska was 4 of 19 from deep, but 13 of 23 from inside.

And, yes, there were 31 turnovers (16 for Minnesota) and 43 fouls (22 on Minny).

Oh, and Wisconsin 82, Iowa 50.  :D

I'd like to see the box score, but it was damn near 30 combined turnovers and probably close to 40 or maybe even more combined fouls. 

The shooting percentages were atrocious across the board.  Neither team could hit the broad side of a barn.  At one point, Minnesota was something like 13 of 40 from the floor but 8 of those makes and 13 of those attempts were from three, so they were basically 5 of 27 from 2-point range.  That's less than 20 percent.  WTF?

But as bad as the teams played, the officials had about the worst games of their careers as well.  It's bad enough that the teams are playing like crap.  It makes it practically unwatchable when you add in the element of atrocious reffing on top of everything else that was horrible about that game.

About the only thing good about it was we got Runzas.  After the game.  For whatever the temperature was at 6 a.m. this morning.  Great deal.  Would be better without all that global warming.

Tai wins the GATA belt, voted by the players.  Hopefully, this gives him some confidence.

Walt's technical was awful.  I guess he got it for contact after the whistle.  Mathieu continued the play after the whistle.  Actually, it was Mathieu's actions after the play that caused the refs to go to the tv.  He got up and tried to get into Walt's face, when Walt was trying to help him up.  That's when the game changed.  The refs started getting whistle happy after that.  Very inconsistent.

Shields' technical was crap too.  He made no point to show up the ref and was walking back (probably saying something), the ref stared him down the whole time.  Kind of like the ref did when Miles got the t against Wisconsin.

43 fouls don't know what the TO's were

Minnesota finished 8 of 20 from deep. They were 8 of 32 from inside the arc.

Nebraska was 4 of 19 from deep, but 13 of 23 from inside.

Those numbers sound about right. Minnesota is a good 3pt shooting team and have an inflated 2pt percentage from their steals.  Their half court offense is pretty awful and their big men aren't very skilled. Honestly Elliason looked the best/agressive in there and it was surprising he didn't see more playing time.

Good comments by those above.  A good example of why this board is far superior to anything else out there.

I'm basically just repeating CWG, but loved Leslee's minutes.   Must have been New Testament study tonight, because Old Testament was MIA.  Tai was ready, which is hard to be when you've been struggling, and then sitting and watching.  Props to Tai.

Wow, do we suck against pressure.  Benny really struggled for the first 35 minutes.  Props to him for hanging in there and having a good last 5 minutes.  Needed his throws.  Shavon was basically the same story; struggled but came through down the stretch.   CWG described Terran to a T.  Although he gets credit for not fouling out after getting his 4th so early.  Tarin up and down like a freshman.  Wasn't a night to play the bigs, or even a guy like Fuller.  The lineup with Tai, Benny and Tarin was interesting.  Hope it doesn't become common.  Walt played his best D ever.   

Still a long way to go.  If Glynn Watson is good, he will see major minutes right away. 

Refs are described in another thread.  I will leave it there.

One thing I would like to point out after commenting about moving screens after the last game:

A couple of times early in the game, Minnesota shooters got free running off screens because the screener threw a hip or an elbow or otherwise moved to impede the path of the Nebraska defender.  One of those times was when Petteway got called for a foul on that made three-pointer.  He took an elbow trying to get by their center.  Should have been an offensive foul and no bucket.  There were a lot more moving screens that just those couple, but those couple those couple in particular resulted in wide-open looks.

BUT, after the foul on Petteway, the next trip or two down, their big guy got called for a moving screen.  And it got called on them about twice in three possessions around that time.  And, from that point on, they really cleaned up their moving screens.

The whole rest of the game, they were a lot more careful about getting set and being still and not trying to lean into the Nebraska defender or throw a hip into them as they're chasing the shooter.

You talk about how our defense clamped down on their shooters in the 2nd half and I would suggest that the officials finally calling illegal screens mid-way through the first half was as much of a factor in that as our stepped up defense.

I just have to say this after complaining about it after the Wisconsin game.  Tonight they called Minnesota for it in the first half and, as a result, you really didn't see them do it in the 2nd half.

43 fouls don't know what the TO's were

The most important stat of all is that we are 11-7, 3-3 and not 10-8, 2-4. 

We are now tied for 8th in the conference, but dependent on tomorrows games, could be tied for 6th.  Michigan State will be a battle, but one we certainly could win!

Wisconsin dropped Iowa like they were playing us again.

We're right there guys.  We need to grasp this moment.  Hope the team realizes how important this stretch is!  

One thing I would like to point out after commenting about moving screens after the last game:

A couple of times early in the game, Minnesota shooters got free running off screens because the screener threw a hip or an elbow or otherwise moved to impede the path of the Nebraska defender.  One of those times was when Petteway got called for a foul on that made three-pointer.  He took an elbow trying to get by their center.  Should have been an offensive foul and no bucket.  There were a lot more moving screens that just those couple, but those couple those couple in particular resulted in wide-open looks.

BUT, after the foul on Petteway, the next trip or two down, their big guy got called for a moving screen.  And it got called on them about twice in three possessions around that time.  And, from that point on, they really cleaned up their moving screens.

The whole rest of the game, they were a lot more careful about getting set and being still and not trying to lean into the Nebraska defender or throw a hip into them as they're chasing the shooter.

You talk about how our defense clamped down on their shooters in the 2nd half and I would suggest that the officials finally calling illegal screens mid-way through the first half was as much of a factor in that as our stepped up defense.

I just have to say this after complaining about it after the Wisconsin game.  Tonight they called it in the first half and you really didn't see them do it in the 2nd half.

You do have to credit Tai and Benny for their 2nd half.  Granted, Minn. was more careful when setting screens, but they shadowed Hollins that entire 2nd half.  He had no room.

I am confused by Jackson calling out Tarin for poor closeout on a three point attempt with about 2 minutes left (I think).  They missed the shot.  I though Tarin did a good job by forcing the guy to reload and dribble.  When he caught the ball he closed out after him.  I think if Tarin doesn't close out when he catches the ball he makes that shot.

- I don't think I've ever gone after a player as much as I did Mathieu. That was a blast. He was horrible.

- Walker was brutal too. Great defense by Walt on that guy.

- The BTN Journey crew didn't get much material on Eliason tonight.

- Fun game in the student section, but it wasn't a great game for everyone else I'm sure.

I was at the dang game, so you'd think I knew what was going on, but:  I knew David sat more than usual, but I had no idea he only played 14 minutes.  And I thought Tai played in the low 20s.  16 is a little surprising; seemed like more.

Tarin was on the court more than Rivers, Smith, and Abraham combined.

Seems like only a matter of time before he starts. Easily our best player in terms of skill and poise in terms of breaking a press.

Gotta love Benny and his effort at the end of the game--without him at the end, we probably don't win.  Things were getting a bit dicey, for example, with a couple minutes or so left--on the defensive end, Benny made a couple significant plays and ended up with the ball, then on the following offensive end he saved a turnover, drove to the hoop and got fouled, then made two free-throws.  Huge!!