Free Throws and Officiating

big red22

First let me start out by saying we did not lose the Wisconsin game because of officiating

My concern is the amount of free throws our opponents get when we are on the road compared to what we get at home

Look we won against Illinois right... we had 5 free throws in that game... "5" you know what that says.  Our opponents seem to be getting a more fair shot at winning on the road then we seem to be.

Iowa game really stands out, mainly because the amount of free throws they got compare to us.  That is called home court advantage.  Let not forget the foul call on Rivers where his jersey brushed up Iowa post players back for a couple of free points

Look I know officiating isn't an exact science, but you can't tell me Nebraska fouls that much more on the road.  Like the call on Shields last night was down right awful.  Our 5 fouls to their 0 to start the 2nd half is what kept them from losing the lead.  

These calls affect the game flow and it never seems to be in our favor even at home.  Why is that okay?  I find it extremely difficult to watch.

First let me start out by saying we did not lose the Wisconsin game because of officiating

My concern is the amount of free throws our opponents get when we are on the road compared to what we get at home

Look we won against Illinois right... we had 5 free throws in that game... "5" you know what that says. Our opponents seem to be getting a more fair shot at winning on the road then we seem to be.

Iowa game really stands out, mainly because the amount of free throws they got compare to us. That is called home court advantage. Let not forget the foul call on Rivers where his jersey brushed up Iowa post players back for a couple of free points

Look I know officiating isn't an exact science, but you can't tell me Nebraska fouls that much more on the road. Like the call on Shields last night was down right awful. Our 5 fouls to their 0 to start the 2nd half is what kept them from losing the lead.

These calls affect the game flow and it never seems to be in our favor even at home. Why is that okay? I find it extremely difficult to watch.

I've said for years and years that Nebraska has never ever ever ever, even one time, received the "home court advantage" people talk about when the home team is getting some home cookin'. I've always been yelled at by people I'm watching the game with for being too much of a Husker fan to make such comments without tremendous bias. Can anyone remember a home game where we were given a call? Even one? Didn't think so.

Look we won against Illinois right... we had 5 free throws in that game... "5" you know what that says. Our opponents seem to be getting a more fair shot at winning on the road then we seem to be.

Iowa game really stands out, mainly because the amount of free throws they got compare to us. That is called home court advantage. Let not forget the foul call on Rivers where his jersey brushed up Iowa post players back for a couple of free points

Look I know officiating isn't an exact science, but you can't tell me Nebraska fouls that much more on the road. Like the call on Shields last night was down right awful. Our 5 fouls to their 0 to start the 2nd half is what kept them from losing the lead.

These calls affect the game flow and it never seems to be in our favor even at home. Why is that okay? I find it extremely difficult to watch.

I've said for years and years that Nebraska has never ever ever ever, even one time, received the "home court advantage" people talk about when the home team is getting some home cookin'. I've always been yelled at by people I'm watching the game with for being too much of a Husker fan to make such comments without tremendous bias. Can anyone remember a home game where we were given a call? Even one? Didn't think so.

Last year against MInny, guess we'll see if this year's Minny game next Tues. will go NU's way at the FT line.

The game that stands out to me to give a great example of us not "getting the calls at home" is the Incarnate Word game.  First off let me say, we BLEW that game.  With that said, the foul called on the 3 point shot at the end against us was an absolute JOKE.  The guy threw his body like he had been hit like a truck in an attempt to get the call, and he did. 

Again, we blew that game and that game is on us.  But that foul is just an example of us not even getting a call late against a very bad team. 

Reffing is a TOUGH, TOUGH gig and I would never want to do it.  With that said, all we as fans can ask for is consistency.  So many time you will see a player drive to the rim, get bumped pretty good, no foul.  Then on the other end of the court they will call like a hand check or an away from the ball foul that has zero impact on the play what soever.  Those are the hare ones for me to understand.

I would like to see a rule implemented where a flop situation can be reviewed, and if a flop does happen, it is something like a free-throw or two for the other team.  I think that would help the situation of flopping a little bit.  

I am not going to go against guys that flop, cause that is what you are taught.  Flopping gets you calls which helps you win games, and that is what everyone wants, so I am not going to complain one bit about the flopping other than if they want to change it, they are going to have to enforce a rule against it. 

The NBA has fines, but you can not do that to a college player.  Come up with something that would work.

Iowa game really stands out, mainly because the amount of free throws they got compare to us.  That is called home court advantage.  Let not forget the foul call on Rivers where his jersey brushed up Iowa post players back for a couple of free points

Either Iowa is very good at drawing fouls (they are) or else they also enjoy Away court advantage

At Minny: Iowa 27 FTs - 16 FTs

At Ohio St: Iowa 23 FTs - OSU 15 FTs

At North Carolina: Iowa 24 FTs - NC - 17 FTs

If the reffing crew was always the same, I think you could make an argument for "home cooking"

This isn't high school ball though...we're always mixing and matching refs. You might get some guys who call things tighter or perhaps even call things more for the home team...but you're not going to consistently get that.  I would assume that the majority of bump we or anyone else get at home typically has more to do with travel fatigue, familiarity, and crowd noise than reffing once you average it out.  Exceptions can apply.

We're going to shoot 20+ FTs against Minnesota. It's not going to be because of home court advantage. It's going to be because we're good at drawing contact and they're good at giving as they try to turn you over.

The makeup calls the last 5 minutes of the first half were outrageous.  And entirely predictable. After Bo Ryan went nuts on the block-charge call (it was close, but I think they got it right), I said at the time:   "Watch for the makeups the rest of the half."  Sure enough.  The one area my wife thinks I'm actually smart. 

The makeup calls the last 5 minutes of the first half were outrageous.  And entirely predictable. After Bo Ryan went nuts on the block-charge call (it was close, but I think they got it right), I said at the time:   "Watch for the makeups the rest of the half."  Sure enough.  The one area my wife thinks I'm actually smart. 

And Miles got a 'T' because Franky was allowed to be King Kong for a while! Timmy had a great reply to the ref... get a call right? "which one" said the ref, to which Miles replied "ANY OF 'EM"

I would like to see a rule implemented where a flop situation can be reviewed, and if a flop does happen, it is something like a free-throw or two for the other team.  I think that would help the situation of flopping a little bit.  

I am not going to go against guys that flop, cause that is what you are taught.  Flopping gets you calls which helps you win games, and that is what everyone wants, so I am not going to complain one bit about the flopping other than if they want to change it, they are going to have to enforce a rule against it. 

The NBA has fines, but you can not do that to a college player.  Come up with something that would work.

Academy Award nominated Flop of the Year by P.J. Hairston...

My issue last night was the technical.  I am not sure if a magic word was said, or what, but it seems that Bo was allowed to "work" the refs in a very animated manner, and Coach Miles was teed up for what appeared to be a mis-timed comment with two flippin seconds left in the half.  That did not make a whole lot of sense to me. 

My issue last night was the techical.  I am not sure if a magic word was said, or what, but it seems that Bo was allowed to "work" the refs in a very animated manner, and Coach Miles was teed up for what appeared to be a mis-timed comment with two flippin seconds left in the half.  That did not make a whole lot of sense to me. 

See my comment above. Or, tweet below:

I get so tired of losers continually whining about officiating.  You go to every message board of every team that lost last night and every single board will be whining about the officiating.  Give it a rest.

I would stay away from this thread then!  Maybe start one that talks about how good the officiating was?  Some complain about officials even when we win.  That's just how the game goes.

I get so tired of losers continually whining about officiating.  You go to every message board of every team that lost last night and every single board will be whining about the officiating.  Give it a rest.

+1

We got lots of calls to go our way, too.

Then don't read those posts, if it makes you so weary.  And careful about calling people losers.

How about the charge/block call that went our way?  Granted, it was the correct call but it was pretty close and the Wisco fans didn't seem to be too happy about it?

There were plenty of non calls on travels that we were guilty of...and at least one moving screen against Wisco that maybe was a little tricky-tacky.

Point is, it's not the ref's fault we lost, and they certainly didn't "have it in" for us by calling a 100% one-sided game.

Finally, in Fastbreaker's defense, I didn't read his post as calling out folks in this thread as being losers for their comments, I believe he meant to say that only fans of the losing teams tend to complain about the refs.  We never (or at least, not usually) complain about refereeing after a win.

How about the charge/block call that went our way?  Granted, it was the correct call but it was pretty close and the Wisco fans didn't seem to be too happy about it?

There were plenty of non calls on travels that we were guilty of...and at least one moving screen against Wisco that maybe was a little tricky-tacky.

Point is, it's not the ref's fault we lost, and they certainly didn't "have it in" for us by calling a 100% one-sided game.

Finally, in Fastbreaker's defense, I didn't read his post as calling out folks in this thread as being losers for their comments, I believe he meant to say that only fans of the losing teams tend to complain about the refs.  We never (or at least, not usually) complain about refereeing after a win.

Husker football fans complain about refereeing "costing us the game" all the time. It's sickening... on that point, I agree w/ the Breaker & 9er!

Either Iowa is very good at drawing fouls (they are) or else they also enjoy Away court advantage

At Minny: Iowa 27 FTs - 16 FTs

At Ohio St: Iowa 23 FTs - OSU 15 FTs

At North Carolina: Iowa 24 FTs - NC - 17 FTs

If the reffing crew was always the same, I think you could make an argument for "home cooking"

This isn't high school ball though...we're always mixing and matching refs. You might get some guys who call things tighter or perhaps even call things more for the home team...but you're not going to consistently get that.  I would assume that the majority of bump we or anyone else get at home typically has more to do with travel fatigue, familiarity, and crowd noise than reffing once you average it out.  Exceptions can apply.

We're going to shoot 20+ FTs against Minnesota. It's not going to be because of home court advantage. It's going to be because we're good at drawing contact and they're good at giving as they try to turn you over.

Yeah 38 is quite a bit more than 23, 24 and 27.  Almost half their points were free throws. 

As far as you that are calling me a loser, please read I'm not blaming them for our loss to Wisconsin or Iowa.  I just don't see how we get "5" when we are a driving team, and an Iowa get 38.  It just makes no sense to me.  

Yep, could of went either way.  Was the correct call.  There are multiple calls like this every game and usually are pretty even.

If you wanted to, you could call a travel, carry, something, just about every time down the court... on BOTH teams.  We got called for two moving screens last night.  I do not remember Wisconsin being called for any?  You can not tell me that they don't set them as well?  We got called for Petteway pushing off, and he pushed off and did not get called.  I do not remember them getting called for one of their MULTIPLE push offs.

Correct.  It was not the refing that lost us the game.  They did not make 60 percent of Wisconsin's threes.  And yes they did not call a 100 percent one sided game, or we would have been blown out of the water.  They DID NOT however help us at all.  Most calls that went against us were in crucial times as well, which does not help their cause much.

I agree... I read it as any team that loses complains about the referees, which comes with the territory.

I will gladly complain about officiating when it's bad and when those bad calls affect either the outcome of the game or my enjoyment of it.

I don't want to watch 50,000 free throws in a game no matter who is shooting 'em and you better believe I'll make my feelings known about it.

And I'll complain if a really horrible call costs us a game the way Incarnate Word got not one but TWO flops called for fouling the 3-pt shooter.  Both of which were crap.

There are certainly games we've lost, though, where I haven't even noticed the officials.  And that's how it should be.  Had we lost to Illinois -- I was thinking during the game -- that would have been an example.  Not a lot of fouls called and it seemed to be pretty even:  What was a foul on one side was a foul on the other also; what wasn't a foul on one side wasn't a foul on the other either. 

Illinois was good.  Not a lot of whistles blown but the game didn't get chippy and rough and you didn't have a situation where the refs were losing control of rough play.  It was just letting them go a little bit.  Came a time where I felt like we might need to send someone in to foul to get them closer to the bonus just in case we needed to stop the clock later on.  As it turns out, that wasn't necessary.

So, Illinois, I wouldn't have felt a need to complain.

But, was there some reason for people to dislike the officiating against Wisconsin? 

What?  Are you just not supposed to talk about it when it's staring you in the face?  Officials supposed to get a pass?

The one that bugs me the most is illegal screen calls.

It's done all the time and it's almost never called.  Generally, when it is called, it's in the waning moments of the game against the team that wasn't doing very much of it.

For whatever reason, we're not a team that has ever set a lot of illegal screens.  We've been called for a few of them, but rarely set them.  And the reason we don't set them is that we haven't really ever had that player who is a fantastic catch-and-shoot 3-point shooter who only needs half an inch of space to get his shot off.

When we face teams that have that guy who they run off of screens to catch and shoot threes, you watch.  Damn near every possession, our defender will get bumped by a screener throwing a hip into our defender while he's curling around the screen chasing the shooter.

That should flat-out be a foul and our ball.  And it's almost never called.  You watch.

The one that was the biggest WTF for me was Shavon's 3rd foul....and that was pretty bad.  But I think he may get the shaft in calls a lot because of the way he plays the game.  It kind of comes with the territory.  I'll try to explain what I mean.

Shavon has a really bad habit of pushing off his defender to create space for his shot which in and of itself isn't the wrong thing to do, all players do it, but he tends to really get his arm extended when he does and the refs are going to call that an offensive foul every single time.

Also, Shavon really plays on the edge of being out of control when he's on the dribble-drive.  He looks like a bit of a bull in a china shop most of the time.  He's incredibly effective at it, but it doesn't look pretty.  So these couple of things probably makes refs look at him as being a bit of a liability and maybe even dangerous out there.  

So, while I was really frustrated with the call - especially after seeing the replay - I almost kind of understood why that call might have been made.  But in reality, it was a pretty dirty play on Hayes' part - intentional or not.