uneblinstu's Post Game Chatter: ed 7, vol 16 - Illinois

uneblinstu

Jimmy -- As I noted with Norm in another thread, I think David is an under appreciated Husker. His effort is fantastic. He's given us a hell of an effort during his career as an undersized 4-man. I hope the rest of his career here has some bright moments. This team seems to have some energy back. Not expecting to win in Madison, but expect great effort. Have rarely been let down by effort since Coach Miles took over. I think we are getting Wisconsin at a good time for us. And, I like that our turn around with them in Lincoln is short (they come here on 2/10) and think we now look like a team that can defend home court the rest of the year.

Also of note. We have led in the second half of EVERY game this season. All sixteen of them.

I also wanted to mention Walter in a bit more detail.  During the early season, Walt was playing a rather passive style of ball.  This was recognized by many, and honestly, I personally wondered if he had worked on his game whatsoever during the summer and fall.  However, to his credit, the past few games, Walter has picked up the intensity, both on the offensive and defensive end.

Could part of the problem been that he wasn't pushed in practice?  Was part of the problem the injury situation?  Was part of the problem the dreaded word chemistry?  I do not have the answers...yet Walt's recent changes certainly bolstered this team.  The same could be said about David.  I thought David played his best game of the year last night.  Perhaps the same could be said for Walt. 

It is nice to see these two find their game again.  Teamed with Leslee and Moses, our front court is looking much, much better!

Seconded....

Molinari is starting to look like a hell of a hire.  I think we kind of knew he would be, but that defensive effort was one of the best I've seen in any era.  I think I remember them getting to the lane maybe once or twice all game on penetration.  Amazing help and alert rotations all game. 

There was literally no one who played poorly defensively. 

For a team that has massively underachieved and is currently on a trajectory for the NIT or no post-season tournament at all, I have an extremely difficult time praising any of the coaches.  

Molinari is starting to look like a hell of a hire.  I think we kind of knew he would be, but that defensive effort was one of the best I've seen in any era.  I think I remember them getting to the lane maybe once or twice all game on penetration.  Amazing help and alert rotations all game. 

For a team that has massively underachieved and is currently on a trajectory for the NIT or no post-season tournament at all, I have an extremely difficult time praising any of the coaches.  

^^^^ He apoligizes. He thought he was posting about a team that is 9-8 and 0-4 in their league.

Since I had not had the pleasure of visiting Pinnacle to see a live game, I thought I would render some comparisons with my old BDSC days. I would have posted earlier, but I just now thawed out from my trek across the bridge. Honestly, the only reason I will not reapply for season tickets is the discomfort of walking back to my car in the Salt Dogs parking lot against the wind.

I'd reconsider your game plan, especially since you're coming from the East side of town.

Getting a permit in one of the garages directly to the South of the stadium isn't going to break the bank relative to Salt Dogs parking and especially to season tickets.  Your walking time will turn into some waiting time...but this is waiting in a warm car with Coach, Kent, and Matt to keep you company.  Something to think about.

^^^^ He apoligizes. He thought he was posting about a team that is 9-8 and 0-4 in their league.

We're a second half team.

I also wanted to mention Walter in a bit more detail.  During the early season, Walt was playing a rather passive style of ball.  This was recognized by many, and honestly, I personally wondered if he had worked on his game whatsoever during the summer and fall.  However, to his credit, the past few games, Walter has picked up the intensity, both on the offensive and defensive end.

Could part of the problem been that he wasn't pushed in practice?  Was part of the problem the injury situation?  Was part of the problem the dreaded word chemistry?  I do not have the answers...yet Walt's recent changes certainly bolstered this team.  The same could be said about David.  I thought David played his best game of the year last night.  Perhaps the same could be said for Walt. 

It is nice to see these two find their game again.  Teamed with Leslee and Moses, our front court is looking much, much better!

It certainly seems like something has changed.  I wonder how much the absence of the bigs (Leslee/Moses) played a part.  It's hard to play too aggressively when you know your team can't afford to have you in foul trouble.  It's a catch 22 though, when your not playing aggressively you're not much help out there anyway.

It certainly seems like something has changed.  I wonder how much the absence of the bigs (Leslee/Moses) played a part.  It's hard to play too aggressively when you know your team can't afford to have you in foul trouble.  It's a catch 22 though, when your not playing aggressively you're not much help out there anyway.

When watching the Rutgers game the announcers said something about how his dad had a talk with Walt about providing a more inside game.  Can't imagine that did much because I'm sure Miles has been trying to pound this in his head since he arrived on campus.  But, he is being more aggressive and looks much better than he did weeks ago. 

I'd say almost night and day with Walt since game 1. 

What I saw last night was very encouraging.  Finally seem to be coming around to play like the team we thought and they thought they would be.

I really believe, early in the season, they were playing tight because of the expectations they had placed on themselves and being afraid of not being quite that good.  Self-fulfilling prophecy.

Now, the pressure is sort of off.  And we're seeing a totally different team.

I also think it matters that we've got Moses back.  And Leslee to a lesser extent.

Mostly, I think they've just shed themselves of the burden of those early expectations -- especially Walt -- and they're in there competing now and just letting it happen.  As Miles said in the post-game, they're doing a much better job of letting the game come to them.

That's what I was thinking as well.  Maybe Miles clamped down on his aggression a bit when we didn't have a big for a backup?

Uhhhhh what?