A primer on HHC Inside Jokes

Norm Peterson

I would appreciate people adding to the list I'm starting.  I did this once before.  I believe it was before we changed to this newest board.  Some newcomers might not get the jokes, so ...

8-man Rotation.  A poster named Bradguru, who has since been banned (and who apparently posted under multiple other screen names, all of which were eventually also banned, including Whiteknuckle and Kidney), was known for being obsessive about whatever his hot-button topic of the moment might be.  At one point, it was that one should never use anything but an 8-player rotation because that's what Bill Self at Kansas uses.  He started easily a dozen or more threads? and countless posts within other threads about this very topic.  It was like John Hinkley's obsession with Jody Foster.  If 8-man rotation had been a person, we would have placed her in protective custody.

8th Grade Girls Basketball.  See Kidney.  Quips about coaching 8th grade girls basketball (or any age of girls youth basketball) as a foundation for offering opinions on the college game stem from repeated claims by former poster Kidney and his alter-ego Whiteknuckle that he coached championship junior high girls basketball and was therefore experienced enough in coaching to critique Doc Sadler's and Barry Collier's roster management.

10 Point Run.  Not sure where this originated, but usually someone (cipsucks) during a game thread mentions that "this would be a good time to go on a 10-0 run."  It (almost) never happens but it never stops us from saying it.

20 Page Curse.  On the recruiting board, we always begin to get a little skittish when a thread on a recruit approaches 20 pages because our history has been that if it takes that long for the kid to commit, almost universally, he goes somewhere else.  One notable exception to his rule was Ed Morrow.  Otherwise, this has become known as the 20 Page Curse.  Some around here are skeptical that there's a real curse, but why take chances?  We have, on rare occasions, started new threads about a recruit just to avoid one thread going over 20 pages.

Basement.  As in "what team's posters does he have in his basement?"  During Mike Gesell's recruitment, a poster named HuskerHoopsFan who was subsequently banned, claimed to have intimate knowledge of what the Gesell's basement décor looked like.  He claimed, repeatedly, ad nauseum, that Mike was a Notre Dame lean because he asserted the Gesell's basement was "all decked out" in Notre Dame gear.  Turns out another poster knew someone who had actually been in the Gesell's basement and found out that it wasn't true.  It continues to be a running joke when discussing a recruit that we want to know what his basement décor looks like (because it obviously proves where that recruit will end up.   Not.)

Couch-fisting:  a0t0w0 sexually abuses his couch in an attempt to send good luck to the team.  Don't ask questions, it works.

DOUBLE DOUCHE:  Nickname (Baseball 13, and perhaps Royal Fan) for the notorious and evil Double Jay Alum, who obsessed over hating the Huskers despite his Omaha residence.  He would occasionally protest that he was a Husker agnostic rather than a hater, but then got busted indoctrinating his 5 year old daughter to also hate the Huskers.   Upon which he expressed his pride in her cheering against the Huskers.  Ultimately banned. But other similar posters continue to be accused of being Double Douche under a different handle.

Jean.  A newer one, in reference to a fan who wrote to the Lincoln Journal Star because she thought it was being rude when the fans cheered the "Husker!" "Power!" chant during the opposing team announcements.  Usage:  "Don't be like Jean."

Kidney.  See also 8-man Rotation; 8th Grade Girls Basketball.  Banned poster who apparently posted under many different screen names, which have also been banned, including Whiteknuckle and Bradguru.  He claimed to be in a position to second-guess Doc Sadler's coaching decisions based on his experience as a self-proclaimed highly-successful junior high girls basketball coach.  He was called out on this claim by another poster who actually did coach girls basketball and who proved that Kidney didn't have his team playing at a tournament he claimed his team played at.  But, even assuming it was true, the notion that coaching 8th grade girls gives you any legitimate insight to second-guess a college coach was just so laughable that it's become a recurring inside joke.  One of Kidney's alter-egos appears to have been Bradguru who extolled the virtues of an 8-man rotation to the exclusion of any other personnel groupings.

Kudzu.  A group of plants in the genus Pueraria, in the pea family Fabaceae, subfamily Faboideae. They are climbing, coiling, and trailing perennial vines native to much of eastern Asia, southeast Asia, and some Pacific Islands, which were imported to the United States for use as ground cover only to become a noxious weed.  In discussing why Matthew Atewe and other recruits should reject offers from southern schools such as Auburn, the pervasiveness of kudzu in the south was offered as among the downsides for attending such schools.  Kudzu has become a thing on this board as a reason to dissuade someone from a particular course of action, as in, "Don't go there, they have a lot of kudzu there."

Leg Hair.  Coach Miles once quipped to some ESPN guy following him around on the recruiting trail that he always looks at a recruit's leg hair to see if the kid has stopped growing.  In the context of the story, the line was hilarious because it was unexpected.  So, we've facetiously picked it up as among the traits to look at in a prospective recruit.

Liking the Shields Kid:  This one is 49r's.  Early on in Shavon Shields' freshman season he would routinely drive to the hoop and score just when it seemed the team needed it most.  It was a surprise that such an un-heralded freshman could come in right away and make as much of an impact but he just had the knack, so every time he scored that freshman season 49r would say "I like that Shields kid" or something to that effect.  It just kind of stuck to the point that, any time Shields made a great play, other posters would ask 49r whether he likes the Shields kid.  Mostly occurring in game threads.  He has co-opted it a time or to when referring to Tarin this year.

Notre Dame Posters, Gear, Etc.  See Basement.

Official Tweets.  This is an all-time favorite inside joke on the board.  When Doc Sadler was dismissed, Brian Rosenthal of the Journal-Star broke the news over twitter and some poster remarked "It's Official!"  There then ensued a discussion about whether a tweet quoting anonymous sources could really be called "official."  Henceforth, anything Brian Rosenthal tweets is now "official."  And nothing is "official" until Brian Rosenthal tweets it.

Outcoached.  This is a new one that seems to have been picked up by some.  I'll confess starting this one.  After some posters suggested a particular loss was the result of Tim Miles being outcoached even though they had no particular explanation for that conclusion, I decided to start referring to all wins as being the result of the winning coach outcoaching the losing coach.  Jimmykc picked up on this usage and, once jimmykc does it on this board, you know it's a thing.

Poster's Mom (a/k/a hot volleyball player).  This one is my fault.  A new poster came on here (whom I will allow to remain anonymous) and introduced himself as the son of a former All-American volleyball player at Nebraska.  Without a shred of couth, I informed him that, back in the day, his mom was a total babe.  Which was absolutely true, but probably didn't need to be said.  And, deservedly, I have not lived that one down.  So, if you ever see references to Norm sharing any observations about volleyball players or a poster's mother, that's where that one came from.

Volleyball Players (being hot).  See Poster's Mom.

Whiskey with a NyQuil Chaser:  A favorite cipsucks-ism.  In game threads, when things seem to be going downhill for the Huskers, it is determined that it's time to start drinking heavily.  Presumably to get to pass-out or blackout stage, in an attempt to forget a bad outing, or at least to change the team's mojo.  The drink of choice?  Whiskey followed quickly by a shot of Nyquil.

Gotta go for now.  Meanwhile, I'm putting this up.  Will edit to add/finish descriptions of others later.  Feel free to list inside jokes you can think of and I'll add them to the list when I have a chance.

I was thinking Kidney coached an even younger team, such as 6th grade girls.

UBEL:  Kidney, and perhaps Brad Guru, also were not fans of Ubel, and constantly dissed Doc for playing him.  Ubel and the too deep rotation were the sources of all of our woes in those years.

DOUBLE DOUCHE:  Nickname (Baseball 13, and perhaps Royal Fan) for the notorious and evil Double Jay Alum, who obsessed over hating the Huskers despite his Omaha residence.  He would occasionally protest that he was a Husker agnostic rather than a hater, but then got busted indoctrinating his 5 year old daughter to also hate the Huskers.   Upon which he expressed his pride in her cheering against the Huskers.  Ultimately banned. But other similar posters continue to be accused of being Double Douche under a different handle.

Jean.  A newer one, in reference to a fan who wrote to the Lincoln Journal Star because she thought it was being rude when the fans cheered the "Husker!" "Power!" chant during the opposing team announcements. 

Also I would add that the 8th grade girls basketball reference is based on Bradguru / Kidney claiming a high degree of knowledge about the x's and o's of coaching because of his experience as an 8th grade girls basketball coach.

Whiskey with a NyQuil chaser:  My favorite cipsucks-ism.  In game threads, when things seem to be going downhill for the Huskers, it is determined that it's time to start drinking heavily.  Presumably to get to pass-out or blackout stage, in an attempt to forget a bad outing, or at least to change the team's mojo.  The drink of choice?  Whiskey followed quickly by a shot of NyQuil.

Couch-fisting:  a0t0w0 sexually abuses his couch in an attempt to send good luck to the team.  Don't ask questions, it works.

10 point run:  Not sure where this originated, but usually someone (cipsucks) mentions that "this would be a good time to go on a 10-0 run".  It never happens but it never stops us from saying it.

Liking the Shields kid:  This one is mine.  Early on in Shavon Shields' freshman season he would routinely drive to the hoop and score just when it seemed the team needed it most.  It was a surprise that such an un-heralded freshman could come in right away and make as much of an impact but he just had the knack, so every time he scored that freshman season I would say "I like that Shields kid" or something to that effect.  It just kind of stuck.  I've co-opted it a time or to when referring to Tarin this year.

jimmykc's avatars:  Most of us keep our avatars the same year around.  Not jimmy.  He usually follows a theme during the season and during baseball season changes it to a Red Sox theme.

Thanks for starting this one, Norm. These are many of the things which make this board unique. Off the top of my head I can remember the possibly photoshopped picture of Moses when his leg appeared to bend the wrong way signifying a hyped recruit who may have a few flaws. And speaking of hyped recruits, how about Salley's long lost schoolwork which apparantly had been eaten by a dog many years before. And the many terms originated by our loveable but unsuccessful Doc signifying failure of yet another coaching regime, like baseline to baseline play and the incessant use of "agin" in interviews. That's all for now, have to go change my avatar.

Barry Collier's bottled water- sip, sip....get blown out.....get a buyout.  Anyone else remember that?

Except the part about getting a buyout, which didn't happen.  And that it has nothing to do with HHC lore.  Jay Fan might have missed those parts.