Because there's no game today, and because we just got a new commit ...

and because there've been all kinds of updates on the recruits we've already signed (who all seem to be doing very well) I just thought I'd do the dreaded looking-ahead-to-next-year thing that I do that some seem not to like.

OK, put a name from next year's anticipated roster next to each of the above numbers.  You can disagree with my numbers and that's OK, but since I started the thread, just use my numbers for the sake of discussion.  There are 9 spots.  You need to put down 9 names.  (Or "Big man yet to be named" if you think we'll still sign someone else.)

Those numbers represent 190 minutes.  All the players left off that list split the remaining 10 minutes.  The players in the 20s and 30s are obviously starters.  The players in the teens will be key reserves of diminishing significance.  Assign the minutes to players as you see fit.

Go ...

My turn:

30 -- Shavon

30 -- Petteway

27 -- White

25 -- Watson

23 -- Pitchford

18 -- Big to be named later

15 -- Morrow

12 -- Parker

10 -- Smith

McVeigh could redshirt and have a chance to learn the American game because I think his first season might be wasted with few minutes, but years 2-5 could result in significant playing time if he's given a chance to develop.

Most everyone has picked Petteway, Shields, Pitchford, White and some PG.

I honestly don't think Benny starts next year.  He's too reluctant of a shooter and seems to be at his best coming off the bench and providing that defensive spark.

I went with Watson starting at point because of his ranking, because of some of the reports about how he played when he took his visit here, and because I think he has the combination of shooting, ball-handling, athleticism and pure point guard skills that tie the whole package together.  He could very well be a day 1 starter.

A lot of people on the Ed Morrow thread project him as a starter.  I don't see it.  Key reserve, yes.  But I don't see how you don't start White.  He'll be a junior in his 2nd year in the program.  And he's apparently been impressive in practices, so you have to make room for him.  Morrow isn't going to knock Shavon out of the starting lineup.  Petteway's spot is secure.  And, probably, Walt Pitchford's is as well.  So that leaves Ed coming off the bench.  And I think he will get some good minutes.

The X factor is whether we sign another player and someone else leaves to make room.  I don't want to speculate on who that might be but there are several different candidates who, according to most people's lists above, are either not going to be here or will be sharing the remaining 10 minutes in mop-up situations.  Y'all can pretty well figure out who those people are.  Let's say it doesn't look good for a couple of guys when you get a commit in January from a 6'8" foreign SG.

In fact, I'd say the way this played out looks good for Jacob Hammond.  Perhaps it signals that the coaches have some degree of confidence that he can be a capable back-up big next year and then step into the starting rotation as a junior.

One thing I find funny with all of these posts is that Webster isn't even mentioned other than once playing in the 10 minute spot. Everyone thinking that all the freshman will have a better chance at playing that Webster next year? I don't see him playing much but just found it funny that basically everyone is feeling the same way.

30 Petteway

30 Shields

27 Pitchford

25 White

23 Parker

18 Smith

15 Hammond

12 Morrow

10 Webster

I think since Benny is a senior we will redshirt Glynn Watson so he can split time with Smith

Watson is not redshirting. He's the 8th best point guard in his class. wouldn't be surprised if he was a starter
But if you save him a year, he can play as Starter/Back up as freshmen with one team mate who will be a junior meaning Watson could be a starter for at least two years.

One thing I find funny with all of these posts is that Webster isn't even mentioned other than once playing in the 10 minute spot. Everyone thinking that all the freshman will have a better chance at playing that Webster next year? I don't see him playing much but just found it funny that basically everyone is feeling the same way.

One of the best things about depth is competition.  When there is that drive to practice hard and be your best EVERY day to get playing time, it can bring out a whole different person.  I could very well go back up and insert Webster, Fuller, etc into the lineup.  Who knows who will step up to the challenge.  That is the beauty of having 10 plus guys on a roster who can all play at this level.  Competition is great.  I picked my top guys, but could easily see Tai, or Fuller, or someone else step up to the plate and take some minutes.

Actually, I think that has more to do with position than anything else.  There's more of a logjam at the guard position than anywhere else and I don't think anyone is going to keep Andrew White out of the starting lineup. 

If Tai was our best PG, he'd probably start and we'd see Glynn Watson in a backup role.  But, if Tai is trying to see the floor as a SG, well, we have a couple of really good players (White and Petteway) ahead of him.  No particular knock on Tai.

You have to have some bigs.  Pitchford isn't a banger and I didn't list any other true bigs in the starting lineup nor, I think, did anyone else.  When Walt picks up that 2nd foul in the first half, we want some beefy dude to come in and play D.  May need that more than just when Pitchford is in foul trouble actually.  And Tai certainly isn't that guy.

I see Ed Morrow getting opportunities just because we don't have a lot of bigs on the roster.

But Tai is going to have to fight it out for minutes with Benny who is a proven sparkplug and lock-down defender, and Tarin who has shown some good things this year. 

That might leave Tai as the odd man out for next year.  Again, not a knock on him.  If he truly gets his shot down and/or becomes our best point, he starts.  Otherwise, he might not see the floor much.

30 Petteway

30 Shields

27 Pitchford

25 White

23 Parker

18 Smith

15 Hammond

12 Morrow

10 Webster

I think since Benny is a senior we will redshirt Glynn Watson so he can split time with Smith

Watson is not redshirting. He's the 8th best point guard in his class. wouldn't be surprised if he was a starter
But if you save him a year, he can play as Starter/Back up as freshmen with one team mate who will be a junior meaning Watson could be a starter for at least two years.

You don't redshirt Watson to play Parker for a year????  That doesn't accomplish anything.  I would image that Watson and Smith will share the PG duties next year and Parker will go back to getting 10 minutes or less a game.  Can't see any reason to play him much more than that if Watson turns out to be as good as advertised.

30 Petteway

30 Shields

27 Pitchford

25 White

23 Parker

18 Smith

15 Hammond

12 Morrow

10 Webster

You don't redshirt Watson to play Parker for a year????  That doesn't accomplish anything.  I would image that Watson and Smith will share the PG duties next year and Parker will go back to getting 10 minutes or less a game.  Can't see any reason to play him much more than that if Watson turns out to be as good as advertised.

No way a senior who has played all 4 years will get 10 minutes or less a game.  Now 20+ minutes is also a stretch, but no way he goes from key role player to starter and then poof benchwarmer.