uneblinstu's Post Game Chatter: ed 7, vol 13 - Indiana

uneblinstu

Happy New Year, everyone!!

• Need to play better defense if we want to go anywhere.
  • This team does not have a shooter to help for such poor defense in the 1st half.
  • I think getting Moses and Leslee back would go along ways in helping with that.
  • This team is the same team as last year, the only difference is last year's team hit the big shots in key moments, grabbed the rebound in the key moments, and got stops when they needed.  This year's team can't hit the big shot, lose the rebound out of bounds, throw the ball away, and let the other team hit shots.
  • Crean is a big dick.  I wish Miles would have got at him.  The only problem is Indiana started playing much better after the little dust-up.  We seemed to lose our momentum after that.
  • Needed to attack the rim more.  They struggled when we did that.  Also, need to hit lay-ups when we get to the rim.
  • Petteway struggles shooting free throws this year.
  • Benny needs to have confidence in his shot.  He's been hitting big ones this year.  Need to make teams pay for not guarding you.

Kind of simple in my opinion:

- Rebounding was missing in action

- Seven (7) missed lay-ups...

- Hoosiers decided not to guard Benny or TSmith or David...they wouldn't/couldn't shoot and as a result TP and Shavon ran into road blocks

- Walt got two early fouls and he ended up having to play soft

- Learn a lesson from Tai...if they are going strong to the hole, put them on their a**

Agree with cwg

We were absolutely awful on the boards - we don't have to outrebound teams but we have to at least be somewhat competitive with rebounds to win these kinds of games and we got dominated rebounding in this one.

We have to be stronger going to the hoop to avoid missing those bunnies.  That said there are SO many times when the dribbler just goes to the hoop when a simple pass would give us a gimme layup.  When TP tried and missed the monster dunk he had teammates on both wings that could have had easy layups if he had just made an easy pass to them.  Tarrin Smith is really the only guy we have that sees the floor well and looks to make that pass first.

We really missed Walt in the first half and in many ways that was when the game got away from us.  We made the run and got back ahead after halftime but used all our energy getting there and had nothing left later when Indiana responded with the run to pull back ahead.

Our offense got way out of whack when they went to the zone in the 2nd half and decided to just completely ignore Benny.  A couple possessions it was like the defenders didn't even care that he was on the floor and we did not know what to do about it at all.  I think it kind of even through Benny's game off as well as he seemed to not know what to do and ended up forcing a shot instead of just finding a spot and waiting for us to feed him the ball for the open look they were giving him.

The story of the season has been and continues to be that we don't have enough guys willing to take shots.  All of our offense comes from 2-3 guys.  If a defense only has to guard three players, you make it easy on them.  Tough on yourself.  We've needed that guy who can shoot lights out from long-range for a long time now and have yet to find a guy who can not only shoot the ball but has enough game otherwise to see the floor.  Frustrating watching guys like Benny and Tai pass up open looks.  If they leave you open, you have to be able to make them pay for it.

The other thing we saw tonight was our big situation.  You don't need a guy who's going to be that #1 scoring option.  You just need a guy who can board and defend and who is at least competent offensively.  We'd obviously be better off if Moses and Leslee were available, but it's clear that if David Rivers has to play the 5 for you for any significant amount of time, you're pretty much screwed.  Not dissing on David, it's just that he's not a 5.  Not a B1G 5.  And, if you're forced to play him there because Walt picks up his 2nd foul in the first half ... well, expect Indiana to go on a run.  Which they did.

You gotta admire our guys' fight...what are we even doing in the game with the missed close shots, rebounding probs with big men out and general lack of offensive weapons.

Why do we have a few guys who talk crap on the floor, looks pretty stupid when you are an average team.  Looks stupid anyway, but we have no business talking junk.

Feel really bad for Tai, it just hasn't worked here so far.   Still season to play, but it's feeling like it's settling into the same as last year.  I have no doubt he has some game, it just hasn't came together here for whatever reason.

Looking forward to the infusion of talent next year.  You gotta have some confidence and moxey at this level.   We gotta be able to put more pressure on teams from all over the place offensively and of course still guard on "D".   Still season to play this year though too.   Hopefully the young men keep fighting.

The story of the season has been and continues to be that we don't have enough guys willing to take shots.  All of our offense comes from 2-3 guys.  If a defense only has to guard three players, you make it easy on them.  Tough on yourself.  We've needed that guy who can shoot lights out from long-range for a long time now and have yet to find a guy who can not only shoot the ball but has enough game otherwise to see the floor.  Frustrating watching guys like Benny and Tai pass up open looks.  If they leave you open, you have to be able to make them pay for it.

The other thing we saw tonight was our big situation.  You don't need a guy who's going to be that #1 scoring option.  You just need a guy who can board and defend and who is at least competent offensively.  We'd obviously be better off if Moses and Leslee were available, but it's clear that if David Rivers has to play the 5 for you for any significant amount of time, you're pretty much screwed.  Not dissing on David, it's just that he's not a 5.  Not a B1G 5.  And, if you're forced to play him there because Walt picks up his 2nd foul in the first half ... well, expect Indiana to go on a run.  Which they did.

I think that's why we've regressed. We've essentially replaced gallegos and Leslee with tarin smith. Tarin is a nice player, but obviously gallegos and leslee were much more valuable to this team.

I hate to be picky here but I think the problem is we don't have enough guys willing to take and able to make shots.

I'm giving up on going to the BANK.  

Of course, the only reason that is: I was just in town for vacation, but I return to Chicago on Monday.  I'll still try to listen to the games on the Husker Sports Network and/or watch on BTN.

Will you be at the women's game tomorrow?

Of course, the only reason that is: I was just in town for vacation, but I return to Chicago on Monday.  I'll still try to listen to the games on the Husker Sports Network and/or watch on BTN.

Saw you representing, Noah.  Nice work, especially on "25 or 6 to 4." 

Saw you representing, Noah.  Nice work, especially on "25 or 6 to 4." 

Noah brought it on all the songs!  Good to see you back in Lincoln, Noah.

Hey, that was me randomly saying hi to you in the garage from my car :)