Poor, Poor Creighton

MandRHusker

There's a reason that a pre-season All-American and POY candidate isn't being projected as a lottery pick. Hell, Erick Piatkowski wasn't an All-American but he was picked in the first half of the first round of the draft. (I believe he was the 15th pick.) Yet, Doug, the AA, is projected as a mid to late first rounder?

Doug is a terrific college player. Make no mistake. But the shots he makes in college games won't be available at the next level. No NBA guy is going to let Doug McDermott post up on him like what he did to us last night. In the NBA, he's not going to be able to curl off of screens and have wide-open lanes to the basket. We gave him a lot of good looks. He won't see those in the NBA. His type of game is fine, but not for his size. To make it as a power forward in the NBA, he needs Enrique's size. And probably a little more athleticism. To make it as a wing, he'd need a lot more athleticism. He has very good skills, but that won't be sufficient for him to make it in the NBA.

Doug is a tremendous college player! Fun to watch. But I agree with Norm, his game just doesn't translate to the NBA. I would be surprised if he wasn't still at Creighton next year.

I would suggest there is no guarantee Wragge is back next year though. I believe he will already have graduated, has had injury problems, and might decide to move on with a career in business, not basketball.

That will leave Artino, and I believe Manigat, as the only recruits from the Altman Era, even though neither one of them played for him, and Artino hardly plays at all.

So, the rest of the team will all be the result of McDermott's recruiting. He has run out of basketball playing sons. His recruiting "success" at Iowa State in the brief time he was there is the main reason he is at Creighton today. He recruited decent but not great players at Northern Iowa. That appears to be the type of players he is bringing to Omaha. I suspect that after Doug's eligibility is up, Creighton will resemble the Northern Iowa teams. Good, but not national contenders.

Creighton should have a very special season this year, but I don't see them sustaining this level of success in the future.

As for this discussion belonging on a Nebraska board, I suspect the fans at North Carolina post several threads about Duke, and vice versa for the Duke fans. Sadly, this is as close as we come to that in Nebraska!

Creighton is going to attract some players. Why? They play before big crowds in a great arena and they have tradition. McDermott won at UNI and I think he will continue to win at Creighton.

I like where Miles has NU headed and I love his personality on the bench. The rest of the season is going to put a strain on his optimism. Fans just need to be patient. I think we have someone who can get the job done.

Creighton is going to attract some players. Why? They play before big crowds in a great arena and they have tradition. McDermott won at UNI and I think he will continue to win at Creighton.

I like where Miles has NU headed and I love his personality on the bench. The rest of the season is going to put a strain on his optimism. Fans just need to be patient. I think we have someone who can get the job done.

Yes, he can attract some players. So can Midland. The question is, can he attract high level D1 players? And the proof is in what he has done so far. Outside of his son, GD has not attracted a high level D1 player to Creighton. They are nice D1 role players, not high level. So yes, I agree that he will have Northern Iowa success with occasional appearances in the NCAA tournament, but nothing beyond that.

That is GOOD to hear. (Or read. Whatever.)

By the way, Miles is currently something like 0-8 all-time against McDermott. Can't remember where I read that, but that's gotta change soon. As in next year.

He is either 0-9 or 0-10 after Thursday. I have seen both quoted. That spans three separate schools for both coaches, I believe.

Cheap seats: I am entirely in accordance with your request to limit the cerebral prestidigitation necessary to confront the pompous verbosity of multisyllabic posters. Therefore the moderators should adhere to the modern common denominator of tweets and texts. To paraphrase our venerated mentor Professor Larry, just Git 'er done.