Poor, Poor Creighton

MandRHusker

Creighton has a wonderful team this year, no denying! They should win the MVC and could even creep into the top 10. But what happens next year when McDermott and Echenique are gone? Echenique graduates and I assume Dougie will go pro. They will have some nice players but no one who can create their own shot. They rely so heavily on McDermott and Echenique for scoring and to create space for thier shooters that they will be very inneffective without them. Greg McDermott just cannot recruit quality athletic players to Creighton. I don't see Groselle, Artino or Wragge as players who can be more than nice role players. Unless Greg McDermott has more progeny like Doug, they will sink into annonimity after this year. I can imagine a Creighton fan base in despair when that happens. In the meantime, I sincerely hope they enjoy the dream season they will experience this year.

On the other hand, I love where the Huskers are headed. Our most important activity, recruiting, looks very strong. Quality athaletes, basketball players and good people. While it may not have been readily apparent last night, we have several accomplished coaches on this staff who have already made a difference in player skillset and mindset. We will be better next year and quite a bit better the following year. I love the direction of the Husker program under Coach Miles and his staff!

I agree, M&R. You look at the end of their bench and it's not very impressive. But those are the kids who will be getting minutes next year. I don't know that Doug McDermott goes pro. Maybe he does. He has a variety of ways of scoring but a lot of that is stuff that he isn't going to be able to do on the next level when he has bigger, faster, stronger, quicker people guarding him. But let's say McDermott does turn pro. That's 4 significant contributors off this Creighton team that say bye bye.

I'll give 'em credit. This Creighton team is special. They managed to get the stars to align. If there hadn't been a coaching change, this lineup would not have occurred. Altman brought in Echinique who is now a senior, and Greg McDermott brought his son along when he left Iowa State. Take away either of those players and Creighton might still be decent but nowhere near ranked. But, with the components they have, this really is the best Creighton team I've ever seen. Maybe the best Creighton team of all time. Certainly the best Creighton team in the last 30-40 years.

And last night, the best Creighton team of the last 30-40 years opened a can of whoopass on what is probably the worst Nebraska team of the last 30-40 years. Next year, they won't be that good. And we won't be that bad.

True. And that probably says something about the quality of the league in which they play.

Yeah, I don't see them falling off like so many think. They should always be at the top of the MVC moving forward (even once Doug McDermott is gone). That is a good thing for Nebraska as well. We should want them to be a good team so we have a good matchup moving forward. Both teams being good is a good thing for the other team. Steel sharpens steel.

I would hope Nebraska has a better team than Creighton is 3 years or so, but I don't think that means Creighton is about to become terrible all of a sudden. They will likely always be competitive in the MVC and playing for a chance at an NCAA berth. There's nothing wrong with that, either. It is a good thing for Nebraska.

Why does that surprise you?

Because this is a message board for Nebraska, not Creighton, basketball. This point has been driven home countless times by posters who mock and scorn Creighton fans who come here to talk Creighton hoops. If we dump on Creighton fans for talking Creighton basketball on a Husker message board, then why are we (as Husker fans) talking Creighton basketball here? I don't care about Creighton other than when they play Nebraska (and then I only care to beat them). What will Creighton look like next year? Two years? Who cares?

I have no problem with talking about last night's game, as that deals specifically with Nebraska. But to talk and care about the future of the Creighton program here just seems silly.

If we dump on Creighton fans for talking Creighton basketball on a Husker message board, then why are we (as Husker fans) talking Creighton basketball here?

Because we played them last night. And we'll play them next year, too. And the year after that. And the year after that.

Come January, if we're still talking about Creighton, you can color me surprised. But fans talking about an upcoming or recent opponent isn't any surprise to me at all. Especially when you're talking about the only team with which we could currently be said to have a rivalry. We no longer play any of the Big 12 schools and we haven't been in the B1G long enough to develop any rivalries there.

I don't see anything unnatural about looking at the game last night and projecting forward to future matchups.

Because we played them last night. And we'll play them next year, too. And the year after that. And the year after that.

Come January, if we're still talking about Creighton, you can color me surprised. But fans talking about an upcoming or recent opponent isn't any surprise to me at all. Especially when you're talking about the only team with which we could currently be said to have a rivalry. We no longer play any of the Big 12 schools and we haven't been in the B1G long enough to develop any rivalries there.

I don't see anything unnatural about looking at the game last night and projecting forward to future matchups.

How many times in the past did we look at the Kansas roster and project games two years down the road? Kansas State? Iowa State? Any of the Big 12 teams?

So far as I can tell, the only reason Nebraska basketball fans hate Creighton is because their fans like Nebraska football and not Nebraska basketball. Oh, and they apparently wear sweater vests. That doesn't sound like a rivalry to me. I don't hate Creighton because I don't care enough about them to hate them.

In looking two years down the road at the Creighton roster and thinking, "Well, maybe we can beat them then" we sound like Cubs fans, but worse because we're not talking about "maybe next year," we're hung up on two years from now.

The time to talk about next year's games is after this season is over. Games two years down the road? What's the point?

Were we talking about last night's game two years ago?

The time to talk about next year's games is after this season is over. Games two years down the road? What's the point?

Mods, can you install an approval feature where all posts submitted must first be approved by atskooc before showing up on the board? He appears to be the foremost authority on what should be discussed and when.

Just want to make sure I am talking about the right topic at the right time. Thanks a lot, appreciate it!

But seriously, the difference between Kansas State, Iowa State, Kansas, etc and Creighton seems pretty obvious to me. They are the other Division I program located in Nebraska (until Omaha recently moved up).

Right now, they are better than us. I think it is pretty natural that their program would become a topic of discussion. If they weren't any good and Nebraska was a tournament level team, I think you would see much less talk about Creighton.

Mods, can you install an approval feature where all posts submitted must first be approved by atskooc before showing up on the board? He appears to be the foremost authority on what should be discussed and when.

Just want to make sure I am talking about the right topic at the right time. Thanks a lot, appreciate it!

:D

I introduced the discussion of Creighton's future to juxtapose their situation with ours. I think they will dramatically decline next year, while we will dramatically progress next year and subsequent years.

I believe that Dougie will go pro. Why wait another year? Another year will add nothing to his draft prospects. And, based on what they currently have sitting on the bench and signed to an LOI for next year, they will fall off of a cliff bigger than the fiscal cliff Washington is dealing with!!!

I introduced the discussion of Creighton's future to juxtapose their situation with ours. I think they will dramatically decline next year, while we will dramatically progress next year and subsequent years.

I believe that Dougie will go pro. Why wait another year? Another year will add nothing to his draft prospects. And, based on what they currently have sitting on the bench and signed to an LOI for next year, they will fall of a cliff bigger than the fiscal cliff Washington is dealing with!!!

I just don't think his NBA draft stock is at the level where of someone who would declare early for the draft. I see him projected as an end of the 1st round or 2nd round guy. You don't leave college early if you aren't going to be a first round selection. 2nd round picks don't even get guaranteed contracts.

I think he will just choose to come back and enjoy his senior year of college, and then take his chances with the NBA.

I believe that Dougie will go pro. Why wait another year? Another year will add nothing to his draft prospects. And, based on what they currently have sitting on the bench and signed to an LOI for next year, they will fall of a cliff bigger than the fiscal cliff Washington is dealing with!!!

MandR I stopped reading this after the word juxtapose! Mods can you install a feature where we can't use big words I don't understand?

Husker fans should be getting their season tickets next year in anticipation of Creighton visiting in 2014. In Coach Miles first season at Colorado State, he lost at home to rival Colorado with a team that wasn't much unlike what Nebraska has this season. In his third year at CSU, Miles beat a Colorado team with two NBA players by something like 77-60. He takes rivalry games very seriously.

Husker fans should be getting their season tickets next year in anticipation of Creighton visiting in 2014. In Coach Miles first season at Colorado State, he lost at home to rival Colorado with a team that wasn't much unlike what Nebraska has this season. In his third year at CSU, Miles beat a Colorado team with two NBA players by something like 77-60. He takes rivalry games very seriously.

That is GOOD to hear. (Or read. Whatever.)

By the way, Miles is currently something like 0-8 all-time against McDermott. Can't remember where I read that, but that's gotta change soon. As in next year.

Just curious why people think McDermott won't go pro after this season? He has a lot of reasons to leave after this year:

- Echenique, Gibbs, and jones are gone next year.

- He is already being projected as a mid to late 1st rounder.

- He is a pre-season all american/POY candidate

- I don't see him improving his draft status much if he stays next year. I don't think anyone would use a lottery pick on him.

The only reason I could see him staying is because his dad is the coach.