Think we hit rock bottom fellas

Hoops_Legend

We are farrrrrrrr from rock bottom.  Just saying.  

This would be like KU rock bottom...

A bunch of young Rivals 150 kids who have lost 4 in a row with a 9-10 record that have played the toughest SOS in the nation and have wins over Dayton, @Maryland, and @Indiana is farrrrrrr from rock bottom for a team that has never won an NCAA tourney game.

4 minutes ago, brfrad said:

It actually took Collier deciding to leave, and in fact, he won 2 games in the Big 12 tournament, and made the NIT his final year before succumbing to the hopelessness that is Nebrasketball.

Doc was getting ran out of the gym by everybody they played his last year.  Miles' team is losing at the buzzer, and has won 2 road games against teams that have played good basketball.  He has lost 4 games, with only 9 scholarship players, losing 2 key components to the rotation, to help with depth.  Next year, if everyone stays healthy, we should have some serious depth to withstand injuries.

Who replaces Tai? Despite his struggles today, he has made this offense go, like Petteway on 2012-13. I don't see a replacement for him on the horizon. Next years team, barring some major improvement from someone unexpected and no McVeigh like regression from Ed or Glynn, is going to be painful to watch, IMO. 

7 minutes ago, TomEadesSucks said:

Who replaces Tai? Despite his struggles today, he has made this offense go, like Petteway on 2012-13. I don't see a replacement for him on the horizon. Next years team, barring some major improvement from someone unexpected and no McVeigh like regression from Ed or Glynn, is going to be painful to watch, IMO. 

Watson, Roby, Horne, Copeland, Gill, Palmer, Nana, Taylor...we'll be okay as long as no one in the main rotation transfers. But every year (Petteway, Pitchford, White, etc) someone leaves who we don't expect. We HAVE TO avoid that this coming offseason.

Edited by jason2486

3 hours ago, brfrad said:

Who was suppose to replace White and Shields this year?  No one expected Tai to be 2nd in the conference in scoring this year.  He averaged 10.0 points per game last year.  Now, he is at 18.1 points per game.  Watson, averaged 8.6 points per game last year, is now avg. 14.8 points per game. He shot 26.7% from 3 last year, and this year is shooting 42.5% from 3.  Contrary to popular belief, players have improved under Miles.  Turner is playing much better. 

Next year, we will have more depth to help us withstand injuries.

We have a backcourt of: Watson, Turner, Gill, and Palmer.

We have wings of: Roby, Horne, McVeigh, and Nana.

We have a frontcourt of: Morrow, Jacobson, Jordy, and Copleand.

I wish I could give multiple up arrows here

4 hours ago, TomEadesSucks said:

Brfrad basically beat me to it.  

Who did you think would replace Shields?

Who did you think would replace Petteway?

Who did you think would replace Gallegos?

Who did you think would replace Ubel?

5 hours ago, brfrad said:

Who was suppose to replace White and Shields this year?  No one expected Tai to be 2nd in the conference in scoring this year.  He averaged 10.0 points per game last year.  Now, he is at 18.1 points per game.  Watson, averaged 8.6 points per game last year, is now avg. 14.8 points per game. He shot 26.7% from 3 last year, and this year is shooting 42.5% from 3.  Contrary to popular belief, players have improved under Miles.  Turner is playing much better. 

Next year, we will have more depth to help us withstand injuries.

We have a backcourt of: Watson, Turner, Gill, and Palmer.

We have wings of: Roby, Horne, McVeigh, and Nana.

We have a frontcourt of: Morrow, Jacobson, Jordy, and Copleand.

Agreed that we will have somebody or multiple parts that can replace Tai's production. But, do people really believe our only issues are injuries? I'm afraid it runs deeper than that. 

No way you should even discuss firing Miles this year. He has been building up for this year and the next two so we should let him follow thru. This year was messed up by White leaving and now our only real inside offensive threat getting hurt. I know it is not popular but if we have White and a healthy Ed we would be in the tournament this year, I really believe that. Just having Ed probably gets us to 5-2 right now this year in the B10 and probably on track for some sort of post season play. 

Unfortunately the depth right now are Frosh and that is hard in the BIG10 unless they are one and done types that we are not going to get here. They have much more talent than anytime since Nee but they need to learn how to win and that is not easy. The IU and MD wins show we can play with anyone right now but we have to do it consistently. I love Horne / Roby's upside but they were lost yesterday for sure and Jake would be a great guy coming off the bench but he is really our only inside guy right now and that is not good. I expect the frosh to make jumps like this years Sophs made and then we will have depth next year if something happens. Only weak spot I see is PG we need a back up for Glynn.

3 hours ago, jimmykc said:

You mean dumber than the Alvarez one? And by the way, that rock is a well known landmark on the Madison campus and not Silverback's posterior. It belongs to Barry A. and is known there as the "kissing rock".

Are you sure Jimmy?  Looks like what I see in the mirror in the morning after I shower.

• 4 years later...
On 12/23/2014 at 11:34 AM, Hoops_Legend said:

At this point nobody needs to say "NCAA" until miracle happens. At least last year we played hard in every game win or lose right now we are playing soft and uninterested in getting better. We were so lucky to beat Cincy last week and now we lose to Hawaii. Really Hawaii is awful basketball team (we are too) but still you cannot tell me we are in a "funk". I think this is who we are a 10-12 win basketball team NIT is a long shot unless a miracle happens (like last year). Which it can when Moses and Leslee come back in the line up but honestly I just don't think those guys are so dominat for us that it will make that much of change on we are playing. 

Now is post is not intended to be negative towards Miles or his staff at all because i think they have done everything they possibly can to put our team in the right position to win. Right now it's on the players especially Petteway. Petteway has got to realize that he is not a #1 draft pick player so him taking 25ft jumpers in transition with a guys in his face is not his game he is not good enough to do that. Petteway is not at the level of Doug McDermott in shoting 3 balls from everywhere (I hate McDermott) Petteway needs to play within the offense and make the extra pass in transition or drive the lane and draw a foul but taking 25ft jumpers is not his game I know he wants it to be but it just isn't. 

I will say the future is bright for this basketball program VERY bright we got alot pieces to the puzzle coming in from recruiting/transfers that will change this whole team and I believe next year is the year for Nebrasketball to take the next step. 

One last thing I want to say is if anybody on this board or anywhere else thinks Miles is not the guy to get us over the hump is absolutely INSANE. This "funk" has nothing to do with Miles its on the players.  

Just out of curiosity...what would Hoops Legend 2021 say to Hoops Legend 2014 right about now?