We paid the price tonight

golfer3

Years of having one of the league's the worst practice facilities, lowest basketball budgets, worst arenas to play in and a state that puts out next to zero, or zero, major D-1 impact basketball players.since Erik Strickland.

It could have been worse tonight. At least Creighton didn't score 80 pts.

Worst arena? What is so wrong with Devaney? There are way, way worse arenas that house plenty of successful teams.

Years of having one of the league's the worst practice facilities, lowest basketball budgets, worst arenas to play in and a state that puts out next to zero, or zero, major D-1 impact basketball players.since Erik Strickland.

Dear Guy who came here to sell his season tickets and dump on the Huskers after losing to Creighton in a game they weren't supposed to win,

Come back in two years and try and sell your tickets for twice as much when the Huskers are good.

Sincerely,

Real Fans.

Hate to break it to you, folks, but we are going to experience a lot of nights like this in 2012-13. We don't have any margin for error: we are playing a lot of minutes with two freshmen and a walk-on, and we have some other significant issues.

As to the price we are paying, it's for the lack of adequate recruiting over the course of several years.

We will be able to pull off some more decent wins this year, like Wake Forrest and USC, because of the quality and creativity of the coaching staff in making the most out of what we've got. But there are limits to magic that any staff can pull off. So, we will also experience nights like UNO and Kent State--and when nights like those are paired up with a quality opponent, things will get ugly!

Hate to break it to you, folks, but we are going to experience a lot of nights like this in 2012-13. We don't have any margin for error: we are playing a lot of minutes with two freshmen and a walk-on, and we have some other significant issues.

As to the price we are paying, it's for the lack of adequate recruiting over the course of several years.

We will be able to pull off some more decent wins this year, like Wake Forrest and USC, because of the quality and creativity of the coaching staff in making the most out of what we've got. But there are limits to magic that any staff can pull off. So, we will also experience nights like UNO and Kent State--and when nights like those are paired up with a quality opponent, things will get ugly!

Exactly. This is far more accurate than the original post in terms of the "reasons" behind where we are at right now.

Well said. I just started a thread that didn't put it this well but meant the same thing. Had I read this I wouldn't have. People need to stay balanced this year.

Worst arena? What is so wrong with Devaney? There are way, way worse arenas that house plenty of successful teams.

So much this. As excited as I am to be moving to PBA, I have to say Devaney has been more than serviceable for us for the last 36 years...I'd even go so far as to say it's actually a pretty nice, basketball friendly arena.

Anyone who thinks Devaney is "the worst" obviously has never been to the dumpster fire that is Bramlage Coliseum.

So much this. As excited as I am to be moving to PBA, I have to say Devaney has been more than serviceable for us for the last 36 years...I'd even go so far as to say it's actually a pretty nice, basketball friendly arena.

Anyone who thinks Devaney is "the worst" obviously has never been to the dumpster fire that is Bramlage Coliseum.

If you think Bramlage is a dumpster fire (no argument here), you shoulda seen where K-State played prior to that. Ahern Fieldhouse made the NU Coliseum look like the Taj Mahal.

And Welsh-Ryan Arena is a dump. I say that lovingly since I am at Northwestern, although it does get Coliseum-loud during Illinois, Michigan State, and Ohio State games, among others.

I discount those great old barns (Ahearn, Welsh-Ryan, the NU Coliseum, Williams, Allen Field House, etc) because they are a trip back into another era of College Basketball and have a different kind of charm all their own.

It's the 15 to 45 year old places I use to gauge Devaney against; Hilton, Bramlage, Coors Events Center, Lloyd Noble, Hearnes, Crisler, Assembly Hall (x2), Pauley Pavillion....and on and on...

In my opinion, Devaney holds it's own very well against those places, in spite of its horrid location.

One thing I don't like about Devaney is the fact they got rid of the center hung scoreboard during the last round of renovations. That, to me is almost sacrosanct, a center hung scoreboard in basketball arenas. I dare say it's no coincidence that the removal of that old black scoreboard nearly perfectly coincided with the downfall of the program over the last decade or so.

I think what they're going to do with Devaney after this basketball season is over will be pretty special. That looks to be a world-class volleyball venue. No doubt it'll be the best dedicated volleyball facility in any college or university in the NCAA. Possibly best of any college facility anywhere in the world.

I had mentioned to someone at some point that, from the drawings I'd seen, the south side of the stands will be pushed closer to the arena floor and that there will be an area of the upper part of the south C-level seating that will still remain above the volleyball offices and club seating and behind a wall that will form the new south side of the arena. The person I was telling this to looked at me like I was crazy and I couldn't find a drawing of it and began to doubt myself. But while I was at the game last night, I came across a poster hung on a wall of a cross-section of the new plans for Devaney and, sure enough, there appears to be an area of arena seats on the south side that will remain but will be blocked from seeing the floor by a wall that will extend up from the club seating/offices area.

I don't know if that seating area will be used for anything. Looks like they could have a pretty substantial auditoreum up there but I don't know if there's any means of ingress or egress. But follow the link and look at the picture ...

http://journalstar.com/devaney-sports-center/image_5f29c734-858b-535f-bb27-946de4af9ece.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jngjuQSg_iY