Creigthon Week is here

Bugeaters1

Tulsa 77

Creighton 64

Is this a surprise or not?

I watched the game off and on while also trying to watch all the B1G/ACC games.

They struggled to score on a Tulsa team without a lot of height but plays good D...sound like anyone you know?

The three big men are ok...they definitely know how to finish if one of the guards draws a double team...they're not nearly as formidable as the Seminole's rotation so I think we'll see our guards/wings attack the rim more.  Brooks and Chapman did a good job at penetrating and initiating the offense...throttle these guys and it's gonna be a real ugly offensive game. 

That Oklahoma win they had seems like one of those games we had last year at the Pinnacle where the arena ate up the other team....like us overcoming Indiana last year. I'm not sure they find that sort of energy during their first trip to the PBA. They're an average shooting team that's going to have to win #Nebrasketball ugly this year in a lot of games.

This team isn't going to fold and they're still a 3 point shooting team playing against a Nebraska squad yet to play a complete game so any thoughts about blowing out these guys are akin to Jim Tressel walking in at halftime.  As long as we don't hack these guys into a ton of points we should be able to hold them to a low enough score where we don't need to be lights out on offense to win comfortably.

JT rumors starting up again.  I hope this means a blowout on Sunday!  Unfortunately I'm having a hard time seeing Tressel as the guy although it would be great.  :(  

Can someone confirm this? I heard that wherever Tressl were to coach...he'd have to sit out the first 5 games due to the sanctions at Ohio State.  Would we want a head coach like that here? Only speaking for me of course...but if this is the case I know I'd not want to deal with that kind of baggage.

Tulsa 77

Creighton 64

They struggled to score on a Tulsa team without a lot of height but plays good D...sound like anyone you know?

The three big men are ok...they definitely know how to finish if one of the guards draws a double team...they're not nearly as formidable as the Seminole's rotation so I think we'll see our guards/wings attack the rim more.  Brooks and Chapman did a good job at penetrating and initiating the offense...throttle these guys and it's gonna be a real ugly offensive game. 

That Oklahoma win they had seems like one of those games we had last year at the Pinnacle where the arena ate up the other team....like us overcoming Indiana last year. I'm not sure they find that sort of energy during their first trip to the PBA. They're an average shooting team that's going to have to win #Nebrasketball ugly this year in a lot of games.

This team isn't going to fold and they're still a 3 point shooting team playing against a Nebraska squad yet to play a complete game so any thoughts about blowing out these guys are akin to Jim Tressel walking in at halftime.  As long as we don't hack these guys into a ton of points we should be able to hold them to a low enough score where we don't need to be lights out on offense to win comfortably.

JT rumors starting up again.  I hope this means a blowout on Sunday!  Unfortunately I'm having a hard time seeing Tressel as the guy although it would be great.  :(  

Can someone confirm this? I heard that wherever Tressl were to coach...he'd have to sit out the first 5 games due to the sanctions at Ohio State.  Would we want a head coach like that here? Only speaking for me of course...but if this is the case I know I'd not want to deal with that kind of baggage.

I doubt it's true.  And yes he would have to sit out the first 5 games...and any postseason game.  I would want Tressel here, and I understand some won't.  With that being said...him landing here is probably not reality at this point.  But who knows....not much leaking out of the AD office. 

It's a cruel twist of irony that a Creighton post is being derailed.

I guess we'll find out if they roll out the new coach on Sunday. That's how you tell the Jayskers from the other guys in blue in attendance.

Was going to say the happiest people in Nebraska right now are Creighton people. We just took our own crowd out of the game I'm afraid.

I guess we'll find out if they roll out the new coach on Sunday. That's how you tell the Jayskers from the other guys in blue in attendance.

Was going to say the happiest people in Nebraska right now are Creighton people. We just took our own crowd out of the game I'm afraid.

They can trot out the Shim Shams in bikinis and it's certainly not going to effect the level I'm going yell at during that game.

How big of a wake-up call is PBA going to be for the few blue fans who actually get in the door who have been used to going to the Devaney Center most of the past decade? Getting the impression it will be a surly crowd Sunday in red that's ready to release some football-related stress.

Keep the blue out ... and for the ones that manage to get in, make them wish they hadn't.  ;)

How big of a wake-up call is PBA going to be for the few blue fans who actually get in the door who have been used to going to the Devaney Center most of the past decade? Getting the impression it will be a surly crowd Sunday in red that's ready to release some football-related stress.

Keep the blue out ... and for the ones that manage to get in, make them wish they hadn't.  ;)

The students should start drinking now.  (No driving, tho.  And know when to say when.)

How big of a wake-up call is PBA going to be for the few blue fans who actually get in the door who have been used to going to the Devaney Center most of the past decade?

I think they'll find the parking at the Devaney Center to be much improved on Sunday...easy in and out

Just looking at the match-ups ...

If we had to pick what our most significant weakness would be, most of us would probably say post play.  Fortunately for us, that is not one of their strengths.

Their bigs are Hegner, Artino, Hanson and Groselle. 

Starting PF is Hegner who is a RFr who averages 25.4 minutes/game.  He's kind of a Pitchford-type big.  He's tall but does most of his damage outside where he's a very capable perimeter threat at 37% from beyond the arc.  Of his 24 made FGs, 13 have been from three.  Inside the arc, he's averaging 58%.  He pulls down 3.4 bds/game.  He's listed at 6'9" and 225#.

Artino is the starting C.  He has good size at 6'11" and 230#, but only averages 17 min, 9 pts and 5 bds.  Not bad numbers other than the minutes, which seem low for a starter.  He's only scored in double figures twice -- their first two games.  Since then, he's averaged 6 pts/game.

Groselle is basically a non-entity, so that leaves Hanson who pitches in 5.5 pts and 2 bds in 14 minutes/game.  Hanson ain't bad, averaging about 70% shooting from the floor.  And he has very good size at 6'9" and 245#.  Not sure why his minutes are limited.  It might become evident when we play them.

But suffice it to say that they don't possess a dominating post presence, though our post D might help them look better than they are.

Wings are not a strong part of their team.  Kreklow, the graduate transfer walk-on, and Dingman, another senior.

Both players are 6'6".  Kreklow goes for 18 min/game while Dingman registers 12.  Neither are potent scorers, averaging no better than 25% from BTA.  They combine for about 7 points.  The minutes distribution suggests Creighton goes with a lot of 3 guard, 2 big lineups and skip the wing guys, who don't seem to add much.

Guards are their strength, by far.  Chatman, Zierden, Brooks and Milliken.

Chatman and Zierden are their leading scorers at 11.5 and 12.5/game, respectively.  Brooks comes in 5th in scoring at 8.5 ppg, but he also leads the Bluejays in boards at 5.1, with their PG Chatman 2nd at 4.9 bds/game.  Zierden is the sharpshooter, connecting on 45% of his threes.  And, even without McBuckets and Lumberjack, Chatman still dishes 4.6 assists/game.

Keys from the stat sheet:

Don't leave Zierden or Hegner open from deep.  They're basically the Jays' only deep threats to speak of.  Otherwise, they don't scare me particularly.  They don't have a big whom we'll be forced to double in the post.  We can guard their posts straight up.  And our biggest strength is basically their biggest weakness.  We have two guys -- 6'6" to 6'7" wings -- averaging over 20 ppg.  Both Petteway and Shields are effective from deep and both can drive when they need to.

They don't really have a shot-blocking presence, so we should be loving the rim, and I don't know who they have to guard both Shields and Petteway.  We will be dictating some mismatches.  As long as we don't draw an officiating crew that loves the sound of their own whistles, the outcome of this one should be a foregone conclusion:  We win.  Maybe biggest margin of the young season.

How big of a wake-up call is PBA going to be for the few blue fans who actually get in the door who have been used to going to the Devaney Center most of the past decade?

I think they'll find the parking at the Devaney Center to be much improved on Sunday...easy in and out

I think they'll find the hallways nice and spacious and comfortable there too.  Things are looking up for the Bluejay fans!

They can trot out the Shim Shams in bikinis and it's certainly not going to effect the level I'm going yell at during that game.

I just threw up in my mouth a little after reading that and seeing it in my mind.

Tulsa 77

Creighton 64

Not no more.

Good advice - And there's always a free athletic department shuttle for visiting fans from Devaney to PBA, so all CU fans should park there, easy access from I-80/I-180. Couldn't be more convenient. Just another example of the incredible hospitality the NU athletic dept always shows visitors.

Nebraska Nice.

Wings are not a strong part of their team.  Kreklow, the graduate transfer walk-on, and Dingman, another senior.

Both players are 6'6".  Kreklow goes for 18 min/game while Dingman registers 12.  Neither are potent scorers, averaging no better than 25% from BTA.  They combine for about 7 points.  The minutes distribution suggests Creighton goes with a lot of 3 guard, 2 big lineups and skip the wing guys, who don't seem to add much.

Dingman was out for the first 5 games. He got the starting nod last game and played 21 minutes...i'd expect him to play more those type of minutes going forward.

I know they're going to pack the paint like they did last year but I have no idea who they have to hang with Terran and Shavon

The students should start drinking now.  (No driving, tho.  And know when to say when.)

Not a student, but I'll say when tomorrow.

Not a student, but I'll say when tomorrow.

WHEN!