Scouting Rhode Island

Huskerpapa

Taking a quick look at the schedules and I noticed that Providence has a home game against Florida St. that afternoon, so I would imagine there will be a fair bit of scouting going on by both Nebraska and FSU coaches that day.  It's only about 30 miles between Dunkin' Donuts Center and The URI campus.

Starting to look at Rhode Island's talent and getting a bit nervous for this game on Saturday.  It is going to be a tough matchup.  They start three Rivals 150 guys in their starting five.  All are young, either Soph or Fresh.  Out of the two sophomores, one was co-A10 newcomer of the year and the other was on the all-newcomer team for the A10.  The freshman maybe their most talented yet and chose Rhode Island over some major schools - Okie St, Oklahoma, KU, etc.  

Also got a transfer from Rutgers who was very productive in the Big East his frosh and soph years, average 9 and 5 per game.  

Hope the guys are ready to play.  This team is talented.  

Starters

G Jared Terrell - Freshman - 4 Star and #66 ranked player on Rivals in 2014

G Biggie Minnis - Junior - NR out of HS, attended Texas Tech and saw time as a freshman before transferring to RI.  Started 21 games for them last year as a RS Soph.  

G EC Matthews - Sophomore - 4 star and #101 ranked player on Rivals in 2013.  Was co-newcomer of the year in A10 last year averaging 15.3 ppg

F Gilvydas Biruta - Junior - 3 star out of HS, attended Rutgers for first two years and was on the all-rookie team his freshman year after averaging 9.6 ppg and 5.6 rpg as a freshman.  Put up pretty much identical numbers at Rutgers his Soph season.  Transferred to RI and sat out last year.  St. Benedict's kid.  

F Martin Hassan - Sophomore - 3 star and #124 ranked player on Rivals in 2013.  Averaged 6.3 ppg and 2.5 blocks per game in 2014 as a frosh, making the all-rookie team of the A10.  

Starting to look at Rhode Island's talent and getting a bit nervous for this game on Saturday.  It is going to be a tough matchup.  They start three Rivals 150 guys in their starting five.  All are young, either Soph or Fresh.  Out of the two sophomores, one was co-A10 newcomer of the year and the other was on the all-newcomer team for the A10.  The freshman maybe their most talented yet and chose Rhode Island over some major schools - Okie St, Oklahoma, KU, etc.  

Also got a transfer from Rutgers who was very productive in the Big East his frosh and soph years, average 9 and 5 per game.  

Hope the guys are ready to play.  This team is talented.  

Starters

G Jared Terrell - Freshman - 4 Star and #66 ranked player on Rivals in 2014

G Biggie Minnis - Junior - NR out of HS, attended Texas Tech and saw time as a freshman before transferring to RI.  Started 21 games for them last year as a RS Soph.  

G EC Matthews - Sophomore - 4 star and #101 ranked player on Rivals in 2013.  Was co-newcomer of the year in A10 last year averaging 15.3 ppg

F Gilvydas Biruta - Junior - 3 star out of HS, attended Rutgers for first two years and was on the all-rookie team his freshman year after averaging 9.6 ppg and 5.6 rpg as a freshman.  Put up pretty much identical numbers at Rutgers his Soph season.  Transferred to RI and sat out last year.  St. Benedict's kid.  

F Martin Hassan - Sophomore - 3 star and #124 ranked player on Rivals in 2013.  Averaged 6.3 ppg and 2.5 blocks per game in 2014 as a frosh, making the all-rookie team of the A10.  

It's not going to be an easy game...and it will be a good win if we walk out with a W.  We won't be favored by much...we will need to play better than what we have seen the first three games IMO.  They aren't a great FT shooting team so if the whistles are blowing that should go in our favor. 

http://www.coxhub.com/articles/uri-rams-basketball-observations-from-the-weekend

I think RI wants to run a bit more this year than the first couple of the Dan Hurley era.  They're playing 10 guys right now.

They're a dribble penetration offense like us...which we're pretty good at defending.  

They crash the boards on offense and turn the ball over quite a bit....a pretty good recipe for us to score a lot of transitions points.

They don't have a ton of height but they've got a few guys in the 235+ range who excel at pulling down boards...could be trouble.

I know they're pushing to sell out their 7500+ seat arena but the crowd shouldn't be a huge factor in this game. Even though we're rated Nebrasketball probably doesn't move the meter that much in the East.  I know part of the trip is about recruiting....hopefully we remember to win out there as well.

They're not selling "Nebrasketball" as much as they're selling "ranked team". They haven't beaten a ranked team at home (might be overall, but at least in the non-con) since the late 90's. I think the crowd could be a factor. 

They'll have a good sized crowd. Just a hunch that it won't be an overly rowdy group

They're not selling "Nebrasketball" as much as they're selling "ranked team". They haven't beaten a ranked team at home (might be overall, but at least in the non-con) since the late 90's. I think the crowd could be a factor. 

They'll have a good sized crowd. Just a hunch that it won't be an overly rowdy group

Reading the thread on the RI board, you're probably right, especially if NU can avoid a slow start. Could take them out of it early.

Reading the thread on the RI board, you're probably right, especially if NU can avoid a slow start. Could take them out of it early.

My thoughts would be us hosting Miami last year level tops.  Nice crowd...not killer.