Is Walt going to be ok??

Section_316

This is starting to get kind of scary. He has not looked good in any game this year. (exhibition included)

He looked pretty damn good when he drained 16/25 treys during the prelims of the 3-pt shooting contest held during that public scrimmage thing.  And he looked pretty damn good when he drained 11/23 in the final of that competition.

The biggest thing that gives me hope about Walk P, is Tim Miles.  Coach Miles is pretty loose with his guys and I think over the long haul this helps players.  Say Walt was playing for Doc, he would be yanked shot after shot after shot (see Toney McCray) and he would lose his swagger. Coach Miles will ooze confidence in Walt, and Walt will hit a couple big 3's and get his swagger back.  I really believe that.

Walt isn't the first player we've seen go into a shooting slump, and he won't be the last. We've seen practically everyone in the starting line-up fight through slumps of varying lengths during their careers. Shavon and Terran both had rough stretches last year, as did Gallegos. Walt is an outstanding perimeter shooter, and I feel strongly that he'll be okay. I'm more worried about his rebounding and continued lack of a post presence, both offensively and defensively.

I don't know if this has been brought up yet, and I apologize if it has, but does anybody know the numbers-crunch on points scored by Walt with Leslee in the game last year as opposed to when he was on the bench? While I highly doubt it, I wonder if this could be playing a bigger impact than one would think. Just wondering out of curiosity even though I totally agree that I believe it's mental too and Walt will be fine.

I don't know if this has been brought up yet, and I apologize if it has, but does anybody know the numbers-crunch on points scored by Walt with Leslee in the game last year as opposed to when he was on the bench? While I highly doubt it, I wonder if this could be playing a bigger impact than one would think.

Just wondering out of curiosity even though I totally agree that I believe it's mental too and Walt will be fine.

Walt & Leslee hardly ever were in the game together last season. The only time I can recall it occurring was versus Baylor, the last game.

Watching Walt tonight I saw him struggle a bit okay more than a bit early.

But he did do some things later that helped us, couple of good passes and set some nice picks for guys.

At least he doesn't seem to be down on himself yet. He has to get his touch sometime this year, has to good of a stroke to be like this all year.

I was encouraged early on when he took his guy off the dribble from the elbow extended and got to the line but then he missed two more of the 5 straight free throws he missed. Tenn-Martin has won three straight but against very poor competition. Hopefully he can be free to shoot himself out of this slump in that game before we head to FSU.

Has anyone noticed a difference in his shot? I saw someone somewhere say it looked like his release point is lower than it was last year.

I was encouraged early on when he took his guy off the dribble from the elbow extended and got to the line but then he missed two more of the 5 straight free throws he missed. Tenn-Martin has won three straight but against very poor competition. Hopefully he can be free to shoot himself out of this slump in that game before we head to FSU.

Has anyone noticed a difference in his shot? I saw someone somewhere say it looked like his release point is lower than it was last year.

I'd have to go back but on memory his shot appears the same to me.  He's just in a funk and let's hope its not a season long funk.  I really think when he can get one to fall it will come in bunches.  It's all mental right now.....he's a good shooter and how many times do you see a guy like that have an air ball and clank 5 free throws in a row? Right now he's having trouble getting layups to go down.  I like the Miles is still drawing up sets for him and getting open looks.  Sooner or later one will go.