Please please please please!

HuskerFever

THIS is what Nebrasketball is all about. I honestly felt like I was watching a Duke game last night. I'm not talking about the talent. I'm talking about the sheer joy of the game. These kids played their hearts out and had a great time doing it. That can really go a long way. Remember watching the VCU squad in the tournament over the last two years? These kids had it.

And that brings me to my next point. The fans. The fans really made a HUGE presence last night. Please, please, please, PLEASE keep the energy up! The PBA can really become a special place to play!

As for moving forward, I see a lot better environment in PBA from a crowd standpoint.

1). The novelty of the new arena and adjacent West Haymarket development will bring people out.

2). The convenience of parking, and much less of a traffic hassle getting in and out should encourage more folks to come.

3). An infusion of talent - the likes of which we haven't seen around here in a while now - combined with the excitement and enthusiasm of Coach Miles should make the Husker Hoops games the place to be.

I have no doubt that the crowd we saw last night at Devaney will be just the beginning.

2). The convenience of parking, and much less of a traffic hassle getting in and out should encourage more folks to come.

I guess if you like sitting in your car in a parking garage for 45 minutes after every game, then it could be less of a hassle. Personally, I would rather walk a mile than park in one of those death traps (and I probably will be forced to because there is no lot parking near the arena).

I guess I am just not sure how anyone thinks parking is going to improve at PBA. We shall see.

I was actually surprised the fans were not on the refs more last night. Oh well, certainly a good crowd.

I liked the drums from the band going out for the pre-starting NU lineup announcement. They haven't done that before have they ? They need to turn the piped in music down a bit so we can hear those drums ( maybe I'm just deaf ). I just thought that was cool. We need to keep doing new stuff like that. I'm not big on the jump around....that's Wisconsin's thing. We need to do our own thing.

I guess if you like sitting in your car in a parking garage for 45 minutes after every game, then it could be less of a hassle. Personally, I would rather walk a mile than park in one of those death traps (and I probably will be forced to because there is no lot parking near the arena).

I guess I am just not sure how anyone thinks parking is going to improve at PBA. We shall see.

I'm pretty sure the vast majority of parking will be surface lots...and if you don't want to sit in traffic, you can always head down to one of the local watering holes after the game for a pop or something.

I think the whole game day experience will be vastly different at PBA, since it's not located out in the middle of BFE where you have no choice but to pack up and sit in a ridiculous bottlenecked traffic waiting to escape State Fair Park. Some will go right home, some will walk over to a bar/restaurant for a bite to eat, all will find much easier egress than what we've been subject to for decades at State Fair Park, IMO.

As for moving forward, I see a lot better environment in PBA from a crowd standpoint.

1). The novelty of the new arena and adjacent West Haymarket development will bring people out.

3). An infusion of talent - the likes of which we haven't seen around here in a while now - combined with the excitement and enthusiasm of Coach Miles should make the Husker Hoops games the place to be.

I have no doubt that the crowd we saw last night at Devaney will be just the beginning.

Agree with 1 & 3 - but as others noted I think parking and traffic is likely to be far worse at the new arena than it is at Devaney.

But I park 200 yards from the door of Devaney (just across 14th street) and drive in and out without stopping nearly every game - so personally I have never really understood the complaints about traffic at Devaney. I do think it is going to be a nightmare at the new arena. I hate going to the Haymarket area now simply because parking is so bad there in general. The new parking they are building will not come close to accommodating the number of extra cars that will be there during Husker games if we get decent crowds.

Agree with 1 & 3 - but as others noted I think parking and traffic is likely to be far worse at the new arena than it is at Devaney.

But I park 200 yards from the door of Devaney (just across 14th street) and drive in and out without stopping nearly every game - so personally I have never really understood the complaints about traffic at Devaney. I do think it is going to be a nightmare at the new arena. I hate going to the Haymarket area now simply because parking is so bad there in general. The new parking they are building will not come close to accommodating the number of extra cars that will be there during Husker games if we get decent crowds.

The majority of people park in the Devaney Bermuda Triangle. Thus, it's going to be harder on you (and me because I have the same strategy) and easier on the people who are lined up on trying to get in and out of the Devaney choke points.

I'll take anything over the bermuda triangle. I've been to Bluejay games and other events at the Link and would gladly pay more money for parking to have shorter walking distance and ease of exit like I do there. Since I'm not from Lincoln and come in from Omaha, can someone tell me specifically where to park other than the one way in, one way out fairgrounds area? I usually come off 27th. It still baffles me they have fenced off that exit and with no work being done.

I'm pretty sure the vast majority of parking will be surface lots...and if you don't want to sit in traffic, you can always head down to one of the local watering holes after the game for a pop or something.

I think the whole game day experience will be vastly different at PBA, since it's not located out in the middle of BFE where you have no choice but to pack up and sit in a ridiculous bottlenecked traffic waiting to escape State Fair Park. Some will go right home, some will walk over to a bar/restaurant for a bite to eat, all will find much easier egress than what we've been subject to for decades at State Fair Park, IMO.

I agree, 49r. There are bars and restaurants within easy walking distance of the PBA. There's jack squat within easy walking distance of Devaney. (Oh, the place where they play hockey is within easy walking distance of Devaney, I guess. And the bridge over Salt Creek is within easy walking distance.) I think Haymarket Park is going to accommodate quite a bit of parking and there's going to be a foot bridge over the railroad tracks to get there.

If the University was reasonable, they could have $4 parking in their lots north of the stadium and then run a shuttle bus back and forth between there and the PBA as part of your parking fee. There's a rather large surface lot under the 9th and 10th street viaducts. Those will be very close to PBA and I assume those aren't going away.

I'll take anything over the bermuda triangle. I've been to Bluejay games and other events at the Link and would gladly pay more money for parking to have shorter walking distance and ease of exit like I do there. Since I'm not from Lincoln and come in from Omaha, can someone tell me specifically where to park other than the one way in, one way out fairgrounds area? I usually come off 27th. It still baffles me they have fenced off that exit and with no work being done.

It is also a much more enjoyable walk from campus for the students. It may be a tad bit longer but you are walking around buildings which block the wind and you are around businesses (bars and restaurants) unlike the walk to the Devaney which is horrible. You walk in the wide open and the wind is horrible and it always seems like a much colder walk than it should be

• 3 years later...