5 Key Questions for 2014-15 Nebrasketball Season

hhcmatt

This media thread works great as a repository for links and such to media about the Huskers.  But it's not real conducive to generating discussion about whatever the media link deals with. 

I'm wondering, some of these seem like they could use their own thread for at least as long as discussion about them continues.  Then, after the discussion dies, perhaps tack the thread onto this one.

But it seems like there's lots of stuff that gets put in the media thread and then never really discussed.  The Five Key Questions article that Dimes linked above is a good example of one that generate good discussion on its own but, placed here, probably won't get much play.

I think those are actually the rigth five questions.  Biggest question mark for me right now is how do they handle the expectations?  I'm worried that they'll try too hard and try to do too much instead of relaxing and letting the game come to them.  I think Petteway especially has this tendency and so his response is the most crucial.  Obviously, we can't judge a lot from the exhibition, but they certainly looked rough for the better part of the game.

Your request and dedication

Casey-Kasem.jpg

Wonder which song Normy had dedicated? Thoughts one wonders while dreaming of Nebrasketball on a cold, windy winter-like night is how does Dimes make the connection to Kasey Kasem... (inquiring minds want to know)

Long time listener of the show Norm writes in:

Dear Kasey,

This media thread works great as a repository for links and such to media about the Huskers.  But it's not real conducive to generating discussion about whatever the media link deals with. 

I'm wondering, some of these seem like they could use their own thread for at least as long as discussion about them continues.  Then, after the discussion dies, perhaps tack the thread onto this one.

But it seems like there's lots of stuff that gets put in the media thread and then never really discussed.  The Five Key Questions article that Dimes linked above is a good example of one that generate good discussion on its own but, placed here, probably won't get much play.

Could you please play With or Without You by U2 to signify the quandary faced by topics that could either be in the media thread or on it's own.

Other questions:

I think we saw it a bit during the exhibition but what happens when Petteway is off?

Moses can't score. Will you be able to play him and Benny at the same time?

I don't think we have as much to worry about anymore when one player is off. It wasn't too long ago where it was like, where are any points going to come from? We didn't have 5 total guys who deserved to be on the floor and of those 5 maybe only 2 of them were threats to put the ball in the basket. We are not too far removed from that scenario. So now we have enough scoring threats to really spread the floor and make teams worry about who they are going to stop. The exhibition was rough all the way around. Petteway was 'off' and Walt was MIA. So we had Shavon carry the load and had Tai chip in with a nice game. I think we'll do okay.

I'm a little concerned about the lack of depth on this team.  Anyone else?

I am, quite a bit, yeah.  Last year, we had basically 8 legit Big Ten players.  A couple were borderline, but still.  This year, as of right now, we have 6.  No Leslee and no Ray.  So, we need a couple of the newcomers to get up to speed as soon as possible and become at least marginal Big Ten players.  And then we need Leslee back and healthy if he can get there, and the sooner the better.

We have no margin of error on the injury side, which was why I just about had a heart attack when I saw Shavon Shields go down in that exhibition.  We lose any of our big 4 players and we can kiss a successful season sayonara.

I'm a little concerned about the lack of depth on this team. Anyone else?

I am, quite a bit, yeah. Last year, we had basically 8 legit Big Ten players. A couple were borderline, but still. This year, as of right now, we have 6. No Leslee and no Ray. So, we need a couple of the newcomers to get up to speed as soon as possible and become at least marginal Big Ten players. And then we need Leslee back and healthy if he can get there, and the sooner the better.

We have no margin of error on the injury side, which was why I just about had a heart attack when I saw Shavon Shields go down in that exhibition. We lose any of our big 4 players and we can kiss a successful season sayonara.

Potentially, I said potentially, I don't think we are any worse off with depth than we were last year. Not to say it's not a concern this year, because it was a concern last year.

So we are saying that last year Leslee was a legit big 10 player, I'm not arguing this fact, he certainly was. But we didn't know that coming into the season. And Leslee was not near the player into Big 10 play that he was against the weaker competition. By saying that we only have 6 legit big 10 players (I know you said as of right now), you are at least considering the fact that out of Abraham, Tarin Smith, Fuller, and Hammond, that it's possible that not a one of them can progress to give us meaningful floor time in Big 10 play. I know that's a tall order for the freshman, but from what we've heard about TSmith and his defensive battles with Benny in practice, it's at least possible that he can come along to "replace" Gallegos and give us another legit Big 10 player. At least in the sense that he can be on te floor without being a liability. And then there's Abraham who could AT MINIMUM be a stopgap until LSmith comes back, and if he's more than a stopgap (serviceable real big east defensive big) then when LSmith comes back you've added TWO legit Big 10 players. I'm still

not giving up on Fuller progressing enough to provide something this year. And then Hammond. He's not redshirting so who knows?

My point is that we've got a lot of capable bodies (aside from the injured Leslee right now) to draw from. We've got the 6 plus Tarin Smith, Abraham, Fuller, Hammond, Smith when he returns, and a whole lot of practice time and te non-conference schedule to get guys floor time, watch the progress, and see what they can bring in a game before Big 10 play starts.

I think depth IS a concern, especially if there's an injury, but I think it's too early to worry about this as we are likely to have a couple guys step up to the plate as things shake out.

Norm, I like how you say "as of right now" we have 6 legit Big 10 players. Last year at this time how many did we think we had? Everyone thought Petteway sucked and was going to kill team chemistry, Walter was an unknown, Tai brought the hype so people probably assumed he was a legit Big 10 player to begin with, nobody (including Miles) thought Benny should be on the team, Leslee was unknown...so we had Shavon and Gallegos??? 2 legit Big 10 players heading into last year?? Who am I forgetting?

Sorry for the ramble. It's a concern, yes, but too early to actually worry about because what do you do anyway?

Seems to me, after the top 6, there's a big drop off. Not saying the guys further down the bench suck or that they'll never get up to speed. Au contraire. I'm saying they need to. Whether they will is yet to be seen, but I'm not saying they won't.

Gotcha. Yes, somebody needs to step up. I think there's a good chance at least 1, maybe 2 do step up. I know not everything goes as planned, but the staff obviously brought each one of those guys in thinking they would be a legit Big 10

player one day. I know two of them are only freshman, so that works against their chances of contributing this year but it's still possible. Tarin obviously seems like he's got a greater chance this year than Hammond.

Is it still possible that Hammond might redshirt? Or has Miles said Hammond is positively not redshirting? The reason I ask is we have the same depth for the 4 and 5 right now as we did last year, we just swop Moses for Leslee.

Last year we had:

Pitchford

Rivers

Smith

Shields 

This year without Hammond (at least until mid-January) we have:

Pitchford

Rivers

Abraham

Shields

I know we would be undersized again until Leslee's return, but I'm just wondering if it's still possible if Hammond might redshirt. Any thoughts? Thanks for any insight and sorry if I'm repeating someone else's question.

Can we afford to redshirt Hammond? The team needs to play defense and improve the shooting as the Huskers won't sneak up on anyone this year. I want my optimism for the season to overcome my pessimism.

Cazzie, I think you're probably right. We probably need Hammond more than we could even afford to redshirt him.

Can we afford to redshirt Hammond? The team needs to play defense and improve the shooting as the Huskers won't sneak up on anyone this year. I want my optimism for the season to overcome my pessimism.

Cazzie, I think you're probably right. We probably need Hammond more than we could even afford to redshirt him.

I've been thinking about this. To this point and by all accounts it's been suggested that Hammond will play and will not redshirt this season. We desperately need the big man depth. But...is Hammond good enough for us to need him this year? You say we "need Hammond more than we could afford to redshirt him." I don't have a clue where he's at, but honestly, if it's going to be a situation where he might get 2 spot fill in minutes every couple games, then yes, we can absolutely afford to redshirt him.

Again, I have no clue where Hammond is at in his progression, but is there a chance Miles is pulling a Fuller on Hammond? Leading him along like he's for sure playing, but ultimately leaving it up to Hammond, maybe wanting Hammond to realize on his own that he doesn't stack up this year, and needs to decide to redshirt? Is this possible? I know we desperately need the depth or whatever, but is it worth it if he basically doesn't play anyway and is just getting a spot minute or two in preparation in case there's an injury. I may get laughed at but can't Kurkowski provide a fill in, a run up and down the court and grab the rebound? He's been around long enough that he should be able to provide what the freshman could at least. Thoughts?

Two years ago, when we had an entire 2nd half with no substitutions, we played Sergej all of something like 18 minutes on the season.  He could have redshirted.  We didn't need him.  Now, of course, Sergej didn't redshirt.  I'm speculating that the coaches wanted him to be able to save his redshirt year for when he transferred, which was probably inevitable for a guy who plays 18 minutes in a season where we had a serious lack of depth.

So, do we need Hammond to play?  Only if he can contribute and is good enough to be in the rotation and get regular, decent minutes.  If he only sees the floor in blowouts and only sparse minutes at a time, then, no, we didn't need him.  But that wouldn't bode very well for his longevity with the program.

If he's good enough to have him stick around through his period of eligibility, then he's probably good enough to be needed this year.

It would probably be the best if Hammond doesn't play.

However, if your goal is Sweet 16+ and Pitchford or Moses gets hurt and Leslee can't make it back, you might really need Hammond to make that happen.  As tempting as it would be keep Hammond on ice until something bad happens (who know, we might do that), its seems that in the long run the more experience he can get to start the more prepared he might be to contribute towards the end of the season.