Why so cool on Nick Fuller?

Section_316

I fully expected 15+ minutes from this guy. Norm talks about how he can stroke is. Miles said he likes 6 & we will see on the rest. Posters pegging him and Hammond as bench warmers.

I know he won't be great defensively but if he can space the floor and stroke it a little bit? I mean Hawkins was getting some minutes last year, I can't imagine Fuller not developing a role?

I think he's a tweener due to his lack of perimeter quickness.  I'm hoping he can bulk up some more and become a stretch 4.  He's a good rebounder, but probably not quick enough to guard the perimeter at this point, and Miles wants versatile defenders who can guard 1-3 if need be.  

I think Fuller could help us if we play zone or need a zone buster.  Not sure beyond that at this point.  The kid has a great looking shot though.   

It's more about Miles keeping 7-8 man rotations and how does he fit in. 

2 questions I don't have answered right now

• What position(s) can Fuller guard?
  • How much have the "Starting 6" improved their 3 point shooting?

Last year Hawkins averaged 7.3 minutes in 16 games. The games where he played major minutes were about Miles wanting some height and/or wanting some shooting.  I'd expect Fuller to average 7-10 minutes at the end of the year with a handful of games where he plays 15+ minutes.

I fully expected 15+ minutes from this guy. Norm talks about how he can stroke is. Miles said he likes 6 & we will see on the rest. Posters pegging him and Hammond as bench warmers.

I know he won't be great defensively but if he can space the floor and stroke it a little bit? I mean Hawkins was getting some minutes last year, I can't imagine Fuller not developing a role?

I suspect the answer is because there's too much we don't know at this point in time. 

We don't really know what else we have and how it all fits together.  That's something we'll have to see.

Having said that, there are only 10 scholarship players available right now with the injury to Leslee Smith.  Hammond is slowed by his concussion injury (must have been one hell of a concussion.)  That leaves 9 players fully ready for duty of which you have Fuller and Tarin Smith as freshmen. 

Given that Tarin Smith is 1) a true freshman who hasn't had a year of practicing with the team like Fuller, and 2)  sits behind Parker and Tai Webster at his position, I think you probably see Fuller in that top 8 rotation.  I'd say it's practically a given at this point.

On further reflection, I don't think it's fair to say that people are cool on Fuller.  We've talked about the top 6 because Miles mentioned it in his last press conference.  We talked about Andrew White because of how he wowed people in the scrimmage.  But, keep in mind Fuller sat out the scrimmage because of his freshly broken schnoz.  That doesn't mean he won't have a part to play this season because I think the numbers, right now, are stacked in favor of him having decent minutes.

Let's just look real quick at the available scholarship players, shall we?:

1.  Terran Petteway )

2.  Shavon Shields  (

3.  Walt Pitchford   \  Miles' top 6

4.  Tai Webster      /  per recent comments

5.  David Rivers    (

6.  Benny Parker    )

7.  Nick Fuller

8.  Moses Ayegba

9.  Tarin Smith (true freshman with a jr and soph ahead of him at his position)

10. Jacob Hammond (slowed by concussion)

11. Leslee Smith (out with torn ACL)

12. Andrew White (sitting out as a transfer)

13. (We're so good, we can fight you with one scholarship tied behind our back for 3 years.)

How would Nick Fuller not be in the top 8 or at least top 9?  We're going to have to sub eventually.  He's going to get minutes.  I'm not sure how anyone draws the conclusion that we're cool on him all of a sudden.

FWIW,  fan and media expectations favored Fuller as the better prospect, but the coaches were higher on Hawkins when they both came in.  Hawk was more versatile and could play small easier than Fuller.  Tough to see the floor as a wing right now with Petteway and Shields.  Hopefully increased strength will allow Fuller to see some time at the stretch 4 (Shavon has played there, so Fuller is big enough).  He will need to defend and rebound to see lots of minutes; not just stroke the outside shot.

FWIW,  fan and media expectations favored Fuller as the better prospect, but the coaches were higher on Hawkins when they both came in.  Hawk was more versatile and could play small easier than Fuller.  Tough to see the floor as a wing right now with Petteway and Shields.  Hopefully increased strength will allow Fuller to see some time at the stretch 4 (Shavon has played there, so Fuller is big enough).  He will need to defend and rebound to see lots of minutes; not just stroke the outside shot.

That surprises me.  Hawk was shorter than Fuller, not especially athletic, and not as good of a shooter as Fuller.  With his average quickness, I don't see him being able to guard the perimeter any better than Fuller and his length would have been a disadvantage guarding wings.  Fuller's length would give him an advantage on defense over Hawkins and his shooting ability would give him an advantage on offense.  Hawkins would be buried on the depth chart if he hadn't left.  I think he made the right decision.  And Fuller made the right decision to redshirt, IMO.

That surprises me.  Hawk was shorter than Fuller, not especially athletic, and not as good of a shooter as Fuller.  With his average quickness, I don't see him being able to guard the perimeter any better than Fuller and his length would have been a disadvantage guarding wings.  Fuller's length would give him an advantage on defense over Hawkins and his shooting ability would give him an advantage on offense.  Hawkins would be buried on the depth chart if he hadn't left.  I think he made the right decision.  And Fuller made the right decision to redshirt, IMO.

At the time (November 2013) the coaches disagreed with your assessment

On further reflection, I don't think it's fair to say that people are cool on Fuller.  We've talked about the top 6 because Miles mentioned it in his last press conference.  We talked about Andrew White because of how he wowed people in the scrimmage.  But, keep in mind Fuller sat out the scrimmage because of his freshly broken schnoz.  That doesn't mean he won't have a part to play this season because I think the numbers, right now, are stacked in favor of him having decent minutes.

Let's just look real quick at the available scholarship players, shall we?:

1.  Terran Petteway )

2.  Shavon Shields  (

3.  Walt Pitchford   \  Miles' top 6

4.  Tai Webster      /  per recent comments

5.  David Rivers    (

6.  Benny Parker    )

7.  Nick Fuller

8.  Moses Ayegba

9.  Tarin Smith (true freshman with a jr and soph ahead of him at his position)

10. Jacob Hammond (slowed by concussion)

11. Leslee Smith (out with torn ACL)

12. Andrew White (sitting out as a transfer)

13. (We're so good, we can fight you with one scholarship tied behind our back for 3 years.)

How would Nick Fuller not be in the top 8 or at least top 9?  We're going to have to sub eventually.  He's going to get minutes.  I'm not sure how anyone draws the conclusion that we're cool on him all of a sudden.

It's usually right about this time I insert a Trevor Menke joke.

If he's not #14, then I'm out of here!

Fuller will be the first wing off the bench for Petteway and Shields and looking at last year I dont see those two guys playing the whole game as foul trouble was an issue for one or both many games.

I think Fuller will get 10-12 minutes and see how he proves himself during the games.  I saw him play in practice during the summer and he not as slow as some say.  For the positions that he plays I would say he is average speed.  From what I saw he was guarding Petteway and Shields and they did not blow past him.

You put Fuller, Shields or Petteway against a Smith or Parker and they blow past everyone, so we will have to see in the games.

At the time (November 2013) the coaches disagreed with your assessment

Hearing that, I don't think there's any question Nick made the right call to redshirt.  My guess is that, in November 2013, it wasn't simply a lack of footspeed, but a lack of anticipation because he just wasn't used to defending college-level athletes.  The reports were that, by January of last year, he would have been a contributor on last year's team.  Remember that?  I think those reports started coming out in January.

Anyway, it'll be interesting to see.  Only a day left to find out.  (Can you believe?  Only one more friggin' day.  FINALLY!!!)

Fuller's issue, obviously, is on the defensive end. I feel his minutes will be based on his ability to defend the way they want him to.

I still feel there's substantial playing time available for Tarin Smith as he works into the rotation and recovers fully from his setback. He's the most natural PG we have on this team, and with Tai able to play the 2, I expect to see a lot of Tarin this season. It will be very interesting to see how the offense flows with Smith at the 1 compared to Tai and Benny. 

I actually think 7 is Smith and ayegba and 9 is Fuller. Fuller may play more often if we go zone. I like the floor spacing he offers w other pieces opposite of Walt and Terran for drive kick outs.

I believe Moses will fill the six seven spot depending on the opponent. His measurables are a bit more than the others. He is a bonified big and if can stay out of foul trouble will be pushing for start time. This is my opinion only having watched him last season three times. He was dominate on defense. As a frequent foul on defense he needs to step up. Since this is a conversation about subs believing a freshman will unseat an upperclassman is real... chummy. Let it play out. If I had to say today Parker Webster are the five, six. tux

He also is a red shirt freshman, so he is still kind of behind the other 6. As we often say on here practice is just practice and we don't know what they have until they see the floor.

AW but isn't practice where you earn your minutes ? Most if not all coaches will tell you that player B got minutes on the floor ahead of player A due to his work in practice. Or am I all wet on this. :wacko: :wacko: :wacko:

• 3 weeks later...

I heard from one of the basketball managers that Nick Fuller has been dealing with turf toe the last 3-4 weeks and has been trying to practice and play through it but it has been difficult moving and jumping on the floor he told me.

A friend of mine had that turf toe years ago and it lingers on for a long time.  Too bad for Fuller 1) broken nose 2) turf toe

Maybe explains the very minimal playing time so far.