I post here because ...

Norm Peterson

Wasn't sure quite where to put this (forum) or quite how to put this (words) so I'll just stick it here and say it this way.

There are other message boards out there where you can discuss Husker hoops, and some of us post on them, but we all post here and probably mostly here when it comes to basketball.  And I'm curious, from y'all's perspective, why.

Why here?

And, if anywhere else, where else?

I have my reasons and this question was prompted for a reason, but I don't want my answer to influence anyone else, so, until others have had a chance to answer, I'll just hang up and listen.

Guys and gals, what brings you here?

i began posting here i think about three years ago, mostly out of necessity because i wanted to talk, discuss hear husker hoops, and none of my friends would oblige, and i came to this site during a Google search, other sites that i noticed seemed very clunky and sometimes intimidating; this site even on the old site was very clean, organized and seemed open to new posters, and im very happy to be on this site, listening to people like Norm, nustudent, huskercwg, silverback, the admins, and the first years when sadler was still here and were werent on tv a lot, i liked hearing those post game discussions. I even liked the trolls like Bradguru, icedragon, and others because even though they were insane or just weird in the stuff they said i still found it quite funny. the thing i most appreciate about this site is that the admin allow it to be for the most part free flowing, clean and provide quality information so much so that we've all seen writers use info from this forum. i love this forum and GBR!

I don't remember just exactly what brought me here in the first place, honestly, it's been so long ago now.  I think I signed up like 10 years or so ago.  *shrug*

But, there are many reasons why I choose to keep coming back here (full disclosure, this is one of only a few message boards I'm even actually registered for, and literally the only one I actually post on), in fact there are reasons too numerous to really mention, besides I'm sure my feelings will be encapsulated by others' comments in this thread.  But if I were to choose one reason why this is the only place for me to go to discuss Husker hoops it would be the following.

There has never been, nor will there ever be a poster that tries to make the "Wait...Nebraska has a basketball team?" joke here.

That's why I keep coming back.

Well, that and reading about a0t0w0 and his torrid love affair with the couch.   :D

Noob here. :ph34r:   Found this site thanks to one of your posters, HB; Post here because it is a great source of  Nebraska BB information (and the community is welcoming).

I'm a poster (and longer-time lurker) on another board, Husker Max.  Football's my first interest, only really starting to follow Basketball after Tim Miles was hired (had never heard of him before; but, there is just something about him that grabs your attention, at least mine).

I was getting frustrated by the paucity of BB information on HM (particularly during the off-season), wanting to learn more about Basketball, not knowing much about about the game  :huh:  (come to think about it, don't know a lot about Football either!  :P )

Amazed at what Miles has been able to accomplish in such a short time at Nebraska. :o   I was lucky enough to make a trip back to Lincoln last February and had to go to a game at the new PBA (vs. Penn State @ 'The Vault') to find out what all the hub-bub was about.  Great Trip, Great Venue, Great Atmosphere, Great Game (we won)!  The future for Nebraska Basketball is bright, indeed!  :)

Go Big Red!

Because when I started posting here there seemed to be only four or five other true Husker basketball fans.  I wanted to discuss Husker basketball with those who shared my love of Husker basketball.  After a very short period of time, that list has grown exponentially.  A big thank you to HB who introduced me to this site,  Same for huskerinconneticut who stopped posting (in part) due to being slammed by some of the naysayers during the growth of this site. 

I don't post a lot, but I've been coming to HHC for a long time because this is THE BEST message board when it comes to Nebraska Basketball.  I haven't seen a better Husker message board for Nebrasketball.  There are a lot of great discussions (and information) here, and I believe this is where a lot of the diehard Nebraska basketball fans have been coming for years.

I check this board about 10 times a day to see what is new.  I love people's insights to what they know, and for the most part I think most people are pretty honest about our team.  Some get loom and doom, some maybe see rainbows and butterflies all the time, but for the most part, people give a good honest opinion on our team/players/coaches/fans.  I like that.  We could all get on here and bitch and moan when things aren't going well, and we could all talk about trying to compete for B10 titles, but for the most part people speak their mind to what they see.  We call a spade a spade.  If something isn't going well, most don't sugar coat it. But they also don't jump off a bridge.  I like the way people discuss the game of basketball and what they think our team needs to improve on, etc...

This is the only message board that I follow or post to.

That said, I enjoy the size of this community.  Some of the bigger message boards (specifically football) get bloated with too many posts.  As a member who doesn't engage in every thread and only checks in every day or 2, I like the fact that I don't have to dig through 20 pages just to get caught up.  This board allows me to stay connected to the conversation without requiring hours upon hours of my time.

I haven't been posting for a while but I found this site thanks to Huskercwg and I really fell in love with it. I don't have an account on Husker Max or that stuff because I enjoy watching football but I don't need the whiners that we lost or the constant recruiting talk of 65 different guys. Plus I just prefer basketball as a sport. So the reason I post here is because all of YOU guys make it fun and enjoyable for me to talk about my favorite sport and team.

OK, my story.

I started out, maybe 15-20 years ago, as a lurker on HuskerMax.  Didn't join because I didn't want to pay for it, frankly.

Then, I found HuskersIllustrated (when it was still the Rivals site) and joined the free board.  This was about the time Keith Brumbaugh, the 5-star left-handed PF from Florida, was taking a visit to us under Barry Collier.  He was an '04 recruit, meaning it was '03 that he came for his visit.  And that's when I joined what is now HuskersOnline.  Half or more of my posts were on the basketball side and I was a regular fixture over there for a time. 

I've said a few times that I don't post over there anymore but that I still lurk.  I don't think I've ever told anyone why I don't post over there anymore, but as I was lurking there today, I saw a thread about the "secret scrimmage" and, in looking at that thread, someone wondered why the thread was posted on the general discussion board and not on the hoops board.  And, in response to that, someone else said the hoops board had basically died a few years ago because a moderator over there had run everyone off who wanted to talk about hoops.

I'm not trying to advertise for Rivals by starting this thread, but I can categorically say that explanation is total BS and 100% wrong.  And seeing who said it pissed me off just enough to start this thread.

I've been doxed twice in my life while posting on various message boards and both times it was on the Rivals Nebraska site. 

The first time it happened was over on the hoops board and it was done by Adam Barnes.  Some of you may have wondered why I don't seem to care for the guy and that is why.  I have no idea how he learned of my identity.  I was told by someone else that there was a mod over there who would divulge IP addresses to people he was friends with who would then have others look up those IP addresses to find out who they belonged to.  Maybe that's how Adam got my real name, I don't know.  But he used it in a discussion he and I were having in a thread where I had the audacity to disagree with him on something.  Imagine my shock seeing my actual, real name, that I had never disclosed to him and never given anyone permission to divulge or share publicly, pasted in a response by him to a quoted post of mine. 

That's when I first joined HHC.

But I still kept posting over on Rivals because there remained people over there who weren't yet posting over here and sometimes there was discussion that happened there first.  And, being Rivals, you could occasionally engage with fans from opposing teams when they'd come to the Husker Rivals board or when you'd go to theirs.  So, I kept posting over at Rivals.

The second time I was doxed was about 3 years ago.  Two members over there whom I'd met at a tailgate years earlier and who, therefore, knew who I was, started to dox me.  It happened in a thread in which a mod whom I knew to be a friend of theirs was actively posting, so I knew the mod had seen what they were doing and not only didn't delete it but let it continue.  I've totally lost all respect for that mod, by the way.  But, because the mod didn't do anything about it (and was their friend) I took screen shots of the posts and sent an e-mail to Mike Matya with the screen shots along with not only Rivals' privacy policy rules that they had violated, but also Yahoo's privacy rules that they had violated.  The thread now pinned at the top of the Rivals board about strict prohibition on divulging private info is there because I had to complain to Matya about them doxing me.

At that point, I left Rivals.  I changed my account password to something I would never remember and changed the e-mail address in my Rivals profile to something that was nonsense so that I couldn't get a recovery e-mail in the event I was tempted to ever post there again.  And I left.  It takes at least two people to have a conversation and, from that point forward, any discussion that would have otherwise moved forward with a reply from me tended to die on the vine.  Take away a volume contributor and a significant amount of discussion ends up just not happening.  And so it was with the Rivals hoops board.  If you don't have people over there willing to contribute to a thread, you wind up with a lot of single-post threads that go nowhere.  And go take a look at that board and that's what you'll find -- a lot of one post threads.

And, so, today, while I was lurking on the Rivals main board, I see a post by one of the guys who started to dox me back then suggesting that the reason the hoops board is dead over there now is because of the behavior of a mod who now posts here.  Au contraire, mon frère.  That board is dead because good posters who were willing to engage in decent conversation got tired of dealing with the bullcrap.  And it seems like a lot of the posters I used to see posting over there post primarily here now.  Just the good ones, though.  Fortunately, the a-holes seem to have stayed over there for the most part.  And I just hope it stays that way.

Thanks for letting me vent.

P.S.  Doxing someone on a message board is about the lowest thing ever and should result in immediate banning.

You too cip?

Well I kind of think of this site as a bar where you can sit and talk freely with friends about things and not have to feel like your stupid or that your $.02 will be ripped. Or when somebody can't spell or forgets names or gives minuses when they mean pluses. That nobody is going to make fun of you. Well at least not on the site.;)

And the fact that I truely love my Husker Hoops.

Also while sitting tonight at the Vault it dawned on me that this is the start of my 50 th year of going to games. Mom started taking me when Imwas 4 and I will turn 54 this year so... GO BIG RED.

I'm a strange one! My favorite football team is Oklahoma (I got that from grandpa,he raised me). I have Always loved Husker bb! I find myself checking the board 10-12 times a day. I enjoy all the things norm, cwg, Silverback and others contribute. I grew up playing against a lot of the explorers from the late 7's and early 80's.

ALSO THIS IS THE ONLY REAL HUSKER BASKETBALL SITE!!!

You too cip?

Well I kind of think of this site as a bar where you can sit and talk freely with friends about things and not have to feel like your stupid or that your $.02 will be ripped. Or when somebody can't spell or forgets names or gives minuses when they mean pluses. That nobody is going to make fun of you. Well at least not on the site. ;)

And the fact that I truely love my Husker Hoops.

Also while sitting tonight at the Vault it dawned on me that this is the start of my 50 th year of going to games. Mom started taking me when Imwas 4 and I will turn 54 this year so... GO BIG RED.

So when I was going to the games while I was in college...were you the annoying little kid behind me? :o:angry::D

You must have been lucky enough to live near campus AND have a VERY good mama.