Miles on sports nightly

TourneyBound

The podcast can be found here.

Some highlights:

On yesterday's scrimmage--"A really good event for us."

Recently had nine basketball recruits in at one time.

The current "buzz" in the media is a result of two years of progress and going to the NCAA tournament.

High expectations now--all good.

Problem: don't play an actual game that counts until November 16--that's a long ways away.

By start of practice this year, the team is physically stronger and lean--in great shape.  Coach Wilson does a great job.

Leslee--if he can't get a sixth year, will try to have him play in January.

Joked around about the commercial with Yori--said she isn't acting (they caught her with a hidden camera), Miles should have had more than one line since he already has an Emmy.  Says his "feelings are hurt" by the situation.  Complained that everyone now gives him these little three inch trophies.

Says the Huskers are a "nice club that can hurt you in a lot of ways."

He expects Rivers to start at power forward.

Benny will come off the bench at point guard.

Walt is shooting better then ever--shot "lights out" yesterday.

Tai is playing better than last year--expects big things from Tai.

Andrew White and Terran Petteway go at it every day in practice--have a "brawl" every day.

Miles will be able to talk about the next class in a few weeks--expects those players to be a "top 25" class.

Some highlights:

The current "buzz" in the media is a result of two years of progress and going to the NCAA tournament.

Problem: don't play an actual game that counts until November 16--that's a long ways away.

By start of practice this year, the team is physically stronger and lean--in great shape.  Coach Wilson does a great job.

Joked around about the commercial with Yori--said she isn't acting (they caught her with a hidden camera), Miles should have had more than one line since he already has an Emmy.  Says his "feelings are hurt" by the situation.  Complained that everyone now gives him these little three inch trophies.

Andrew White and Terran Petteway go at it every day in practice--have a "brawl" every day.

Miles will be able to talk about the next class in a few weeks--expects those players to be a "top 25" class.

OK, I want you guys to think back to David Rivers' freshman season and what you saw on the floor from him throughout that season (what little you saw of him throughout that season) and ask yourselves this question:

If you would have had to guess the future in March of 2012, would you have guessed that, three years later, he would more likely ...

1)  have transferred to a Div II school "to be closer to home"; or

2)  BE THE STARTING POWER FORWARD ON A TOP 25 BASKETBALL TEAM!!!?

Be honest.

Some highlights:

OK, I want you guys to think back to David Rivers' freshman season and what you saw on the floor from him throughout that season (what little you saw of him throughout that season) and ask yourselves this question:

If you would have had to guess the future in March of 2012, would you have guessed that, three years later, he would more likely ...

1)  have transferred to a Div II school "to be closer to home"; or

2)  BE THE STARTING POWER FORWARD ON A TOP 25 BASKETBALL TEAM!!!?

Be honest.

Easy.  I thought #1.  Very glad to be wrong.   I thought no way this guy can be a decent contributor at this level.  I figured he was way too small to play inside, and not skilled enough to play the wing.  His ball skills as a freshman were quite bad.  Miles pointed that out to David and his dad in the meeting to discuss his future.  Through hard work, increased strength, a good attitude (note his reaction to getting benched last year; he pointed the thumb not the finger), and coaching to utilize his strengths and avoid his weaknesses, David has helped this team. 

This is important to point out.

I've been one of David's biggest supporters on this board over the years.  I started a thread about this time a couple of years ago saying don't over look him.

But even I would have chosen him transferring to a lower level school before picking him to start on a ranked team.  And that's not just because I wouldn't have guessed at the end of his freshman year that we'd be ranked in 3 years, but because I wouldn't have even seen him starting for us if we were any more than just a cellar dweller.

But here's the important part:  We have other options and he's STILL being tabbed as the starter.

Which means that, in Coach Miles' view, David brings more to the table than shifting Tai, Terran and Shavon up a spot each and starting either Benny or Tarin as the point.  He brings more to the table than Moses Abraham at the 5 and shifting Walt to the 4.

We have options.  There are plenty of other combinations that Coach Miles could go with.  But David Frickin' Rivers, who has buckled down and made himself a better player, is starting on a ranked team.

Way to go, kid.  We're all very proud of you.

Point well taken, Dimes.  So that reminds me of something.  Let me just add this to the David Rivers thing. 

David was in a freshman class that included two other guys who left the program before their sophomore years. 

It was told to me back at the time, by someone who would know, that as the sole remaining member of his recruiting class, facing the prospects of starting over with a new coach, the thought of leaving the program crossed David's mind maybe more than just a little bit.

But he hung in there, made the best of things, stuck it out, and now he's seeing the rewards of loyalty and perseverance:  He's the starting power forward on a ranked Husker basketball team.

Again, good on ya, David Rivers.

I think that I will more than tear up on senior night for David, Kye and Trevor. They stuck with it for 5 really interesting years. I will also miss Leslee and Moses but not like the other three.

I hope that when we play Maryland this year for Senior night that we aren't playing for just getting in but for seating so that maybe Kye and Trevor could get the start.

Also hope we blow some teams out so that these guys also get to see the court some this year.

I think that I will more than tear up on senior night for David, Kye and Trevor. They stuck with it for 5 really interesting years. I will also miss Leslee and Moses but not like the other three.

I hope that when we play Maryland this year for Senior night that we aren't playing for just getting in but for seating so that maybe Kye and Trevor could get the start.

Also hope we blow some teams out so that these guys also get to see the court some this year.

'Seating' as in No-Sit Sunday.... or, more likely, 'seeding' as in B1G & NCAA tourney seeds to play for!! :D

Norm, did you just call me dimes???

:D

I did.

Oooops. 

Which one of you is more offended?  :o

Not offended at all...I can't speak for dimes, however.   :D

tumblr_m67euwQ4DN1rwjvx0o1_500.gif

I had to double check to see if I had posted something

BTW, last year's arbitrary David Rivers Minute Splits

When David Rivers played 13 or more minutes: 16-5

When David Rivers plaed less than 13 minutes: 3-8

'Seating' as in No-Sit Sunday.... or, more likely, 'seeding' as in B1G & NCAA tourney seeds to play for!! :D

Darn auto correct... Umm... Yeah auto correct.