... next year (ducks)

Norm Peterson

With some trepidation, I start this topic.  Lemme just say that looking ahead a year (or more) is something I've been doing on this board for years.  It's also something for which I've been given grief for years.  Long ago, it was because people wanted to have a "this year" worth talking about.  And, clearly, now we do. 

So, if looking ahead doesn't suit your fancy, skip this thread and go talk about whether your wife's sister married someone who's never right over on the recruiting board.

Therefore, without further ado ...

Holy crap.

From the end of last season through the present, I have been certain we'd only see one more year of Terran Petteway and I've always worried whether we'd be able to sustain any success in the PP (post Petteway) timeframe.

But, have you looked at what our roster is going to look like in 1 year's time?  This is based on "ifs" no more remote than simply "if the guys currently committed sign their LOIs and no one else gets hurt or quits ..."

Seniors:

Shavon Shields -- stud

Benny Parker -- spark off the bench stud

Walter Pitchford -- three-point-launching stud

That's a hell of a class right there.

Juniors:

Andrew White -- 6'7" stud and former Rivals top 50 player

Tai Webster -- stud, and made the New Zealand National team as a wee lad

Sophomores:

Jacob Hammond -- one-time member of Rivals 150 ... and a stud

Nick Fuller -- dead-eye shooter with some nice tools.  See how he's developed. Probable stud.

Tarin Smith -- The kid commuted 4 hours in the snow, every day, up hill both ways, to play for Bobby Hurley ... STUD!

That class has potential to be a hell of a class right there.

Freshmen:

Glynn Watson -- Rivals #86, ESPN #66 ... and, yes, a stud.  Big time.

Michael Jacobson -- Potential studliness (and I didn't forget him this time.)

Ed Freakin' Morrow -- Dayum.  Rivals #103, ESPN #62 ... and, most definitely ... a stud. 

That's a hell of a class right there.

So, I'd say life in a post-Petteway environment ain't lookin' too bad.

I think I could find a pretty decent starting lineup from that roster.

I'm still not convinced Petteway won't be back for his senior season...

...and he's definitely a stud.

Agreed.  There are a ton of swing men that either handle the ball better or shoot better than he does.  You need to do one or the other extremely well to be an NBA wing and usually both.  I was one of the few that loved his game from the get go, even when most were crucifying him early on, but I am not sure he is a difference making NBA player.  And agree that he is not a lock to be gone.  Just want him to play great basketball and let that sort itself out. 

Im really mad at this thread as I was hoping I somehow missed another scheduling of the Oregon Ducks.  Boooooooooo!

Haha, same here. I'd love to get another shot at those guys in their house after our overmatched performance two years ago. I was impressed with the number of Nebraska fans I saw at that game, though. We are everywhere.

Norm, I logged on to say something very similar.  I'm leaning toward confident that TP5 is back next year.  This year is going to be FUN, and next year might bring the house down.  Seriously, I think Terran is coming back....I really do.  Unless he has a 20-10-6 average or something.  He will be much better this year (look at what he did this off-season....he's clearly driven) but his points may be down since we'll have other options (Fuller, Tai will score more, Smith, etc).  And he's GOING to be all-conference.

Who's gone pro early?  Tyronn is the only hoops player I recall...Ahman and Brandon Jackson (poor choice I think) and what, just a few other football players left early.   It doesn't happen very often, which is why I say it will take an even more special year for Terran to leave. 

Re Terran:  Barring injury, he...is....GONE. 

We have had an ongoing dialogue on here; will be interesting to go back through the threads next May.  Don't think I'll be laying on the ground on top of that limb I'm out on.

UNL, the pro scouts aren't going to go off of numbers.  It's a projection thing, not a college numbers thing. 

I look forward to seeing Terran for another year (meaning this year) at good 'ol NU.

HB, I get it, but he's not even on some mock drafts at all.  The highest I've seen is 26th overall - and that was the only 1st round pick I've seen lately.  Lottery picks just aren't absent from mock drafts.  Maybe we are assuming he will have more to show scouts this year.  Maybe I'm not looking hard enough.  But he's a complete team player from what I can tell.  If he's not a 1st round lock I don't think he will go.  Could he be a first round lock?  Of course.  Like I said, he's going to be improved quite a bit this season.  But there's a good possibility he may return.

Hi HB,

Myself, I'm not so sure Petteway is a lock to 'go pro' after this year. Not to be contrary; you're a much better judge of things MBB than I (come to think of it, FB too).

I don't believe it's a question of talent, desire, or 'being ready', as much as it might be a matter of loyalty (I know, is there any, anymore?). From what I've been reading TP is so glad to be at Nebraska; he would only continue to languish at TT.

I think a lot may depend on what happens this season: Where do we end up in the B1G? Will we make the Dance again? Will we win our first Tourney game? How deep will we go? Will TP feel that he's leaving the program in good hands, or could he anticipate playing with the 'new' players and believe his contributions could be important for the next season?

One thing that may be in our favor, it seems there is much less risk of players suffering a career-ending injury in BB than in, say FB.

Anyway, I expect to enjoy the coming season, and every game, as if it might be TP's last.

Serendipity,

Red Don

(Oh, & btw thanks for showing me this site, I'll learn a lot about BB)

HB, I get it, but he's not even on some mock drafts at all.  The highest I've seen is 26th overall - and that was the only 1st round pick I've seen lately.  Lottery picks just aren't absent from mock drafts.  Maybe we are assuming he will have more to show scouts this year.  Maybe I'm not looking hard enough.  But he's a complete team player from what I can tell.  If he's not a 1st round lock I don't think he will go.  Could he be a first round lock?  Of course.  Like I said, he's going to be improved quite a bit this season.  But there's a good possibility he may return.

I don't think he needs to be a projected lottery pick to go, only first round.  Guaranteed money is too good for a first rounder.  It will be interesting to see it play out. 

I don't think he needs to be a projected lottery pick to go, only first round.  Guaranteed money is too good for a first rounder.  It will be interesting to see it play out. 

I wonder if he will graduate this year.  2nd round possibly could be good enough if he has that degree.

Petteway won't be drafted on projections. Projections are for freshmen. He's a 4th year junior now and what we see this season most likely very will be the player he is in the future.

Draft express has their B1G pro prospects report coming in like the next 2 weeks. He's the best in the business and it's why they are used for the new NBA 2K game for their draft portion. If they say he's a draft guy then we can start that convo.

Petteway is focused on one thing and that's making a run in the NCAA tourney. He knows what's ahead of him, but this is his team right now and that's all he cares about. Will he be gone after this year? Yes if it's looking like a first round lock. But let the chips fall where they may, he has goals that he wants to accomplish this year before he starts to think about the NBA

You don't declare early unless you're a lock for the first round. As the probable best player in the B1G scouts will have plenty of opportunities to evaluate TP. I don't know if I'm yet sold on his ballhandling or court vision to play 2 guard in the NBA. His left hand is going to really hamper his ability to create shots at the next level. These are all things he can improve on and if he comes out this season with reduced turnovers, better shot selection and better ballhandling ability then you're talking about a pretty complete draft prospect. At the end of the day he has the look of a guy who will play (and stick) in the NBA regardless of where he goes in the draft when he does decide to declare...

You don't declare early unless you're a lock for the first round. 

I can vouch that the above is false in reality and happens a multitude of times every year.  Now is it the smart thing to do, probably, but we arent in their shoes.

Well yes, I would agree that it does happen every year. Nick Johnson, Jakarr Sampson .... couple guys every year get bad info from a scout or two and decide to declare. I don't know Terran's circumstances and what else may be at play off the court that would make him declare too soon...but he doesn't seem like the type of kid to make that mistake

I've been waiting for the Draft Express B1G draft preview but he seems to have updated Terran's page.

http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Terran-Petteway-42040/

He currently has him going in the 38th overall in second round of the 2016 draft, so after his senior year.  Ranks him the 62nd best player in college basketball and the 11th best junior.  Obviously these things are very fluid but these guys are the ones I always follow when it comes to the draft.