Huge advantage for the Huskers.

Huskerpapa

I would not shut down the thread or the jay since some on the board are interested enough to do a lot of typing on the subject. As for me, I got tired of scrolling and lost interest. I'll make a brief summary: College sports are going to change drastically in the next decade and most of us who are left will miss the good old days of intercollegiate competition. I'll bet the Saber tooth Tiger misses wooly mammoth meat too but he's not here to complain.

It shouldn't effect any but the lowest of low budget AD's, IMO.  The additional cost of the stipend should be negligible to just about any athletic department.

We're talking about a few hundred thousand dollars, maybe a million, which is really minor for any school with a budget over about $10 million.

NU's budget is ~$90 million.

And when the new TV deals + NU's full B1G share kicks in around 2017, our budget will be in the $120M to $130M range. 

Apparently it's already over $100 million and we haven't even started to get our full B1G share yet.  Amazing.

It shouldn't effect any but the lowest of low budget AD's, IMO.  The additional cost of the stipend should be negligible to just about any athletic department.

We're talking about a few hundred thousand dollars, maybe a million, which is really minor for any school with a budget over about $10 million.

And when the new TV deals + NU's full B1G share kicks in around 2017, our budget will be in the $120M to $130M range. 

Apparently it's already over $100 million and we haven't even started to get our full B1G share yet.  Amazing.

Husker One runs on the good stuff

Husker One runs on the good stuff

Well, yeah...and good mechanics are hard to come by too.

• 1 month later...

Needless to say a strong Creighton/UNO program is beneficial to everyone. It raises the visibility of Basketball here in Nebraska from a National perspective and makes the State more of a destination for high end talent. Plus it's no fun beating a shi**y Creighton team, I'd prefer to humiliate them when they're "good" ala Gallagher-Harsted Bluejays.

Needless to say a strong Creighton/UNO program is beneficial to everyone. It raises the visibility of Basketball here in Nebraska from a National perspective and makes the State more of a destination for high end talent. Plus it's no fun beating a shi**y Creighton team, I'd prefer to humiliate them when they're "good" ala Gallagher-Harsted Bluejays.

I see it differently.  The B1G does enough to prop up NU's laurels.  We dont need, and shouldnt want, CU and UNO to get good because it heightens recruiting battles locally when a good player does arise.  I'd much rather have them be crappy and give us the upper hand with the better team, better conference, etc to coast to easy recruiting victories.  I liken it to when KU, KSU, and Mizzou were crappy in football Nebraska cleaned up the stars in those states.  When those teams got better we started losing out on some.  With the limited talent already around NU for hoops you want to maximize your chances.  Thats my take anyways.

I see it differently.  The B1G does enough to prop up NU's laurels.  We don't need, and shouldn't want, CU and UNO to get good because it heightens recruiting battles locally when a good player does arise.  I'd much rather have them be crappy and give us the upper hand with the better team, better conference, etc to coast to easy recruiting victories.  I liken it to when KU, KSU, and Mizzou were crappy in football Nebraska cleaned up the stars in those states.  When those teams got better we started losing out on some.  With the limited talent already around NU for hoops you want to maximize your chances.  Thats my take anyways.

Having three teams that are competitive in their conferences and provide consistent opportunities to go to the dance is good for NU. It will raise the awareness of instate kids that basketball is a legitimate option, not just football (and to a lesser extent baseball) and hopefully from that you'll see more local talent emerge. More awareness, more opportunities,  more exposure, more interest.

Frankly, if Miles keeps building like it looks like he will, we'll be our own standard, it won't matter what Creighton or UNO do, but having three D1 teams that are competitive in the state isn't something that NU should discourage.

I see it differently. The B1G does enough to prop up NU's laurels. We don't need, and shouldn't want, CU and UNO to get good because it heightens recruiting battles locally when a good player does arise. I'd much rather have them be crappy and give us the upper hand with the better team, better conference, etc to coast to easy recruiting victories. I liken it to when KU, KSU, and Mizzou were crappy in football Nebraska cleaned up the stars in those states. When those teams got better we started losing out on some. With the limited talent already around NU for hoops you want to maximize your chances. Thats my take anyways.

Having three teams that are competitive in their conferences and provide consistent opportunities to go to the dance is good for NU. It will raise the awareness of instate kids that basketball is a legitimate option, not just football (and to a lesser extent baseball) and hopefully from that you'll see more local talent emerge. More awareness, more opportunities, more exposure, more interest.

Frankly, if Miles keeps building like it looks like he will, we'll be our own standard, it won't matter what Creighton or UNO do, but having three D1 teams that are competitive in the state isn't something that NU should discourage.

In my opinion, Nebraska doesn't need that.

If Nebraska is consistently competitive in the Big Ten (which is arguably the #1 basketball conference right now) and if Nebraska has consistent opportunities to go to the NCAA tournament...then that will raise the awareness of instate kids that basketball is a legitimate option (not just football).

If you talk to high school coaches in the state (especially in the Omaha metro) they will tell you that Nebraska is already on the verge of an increase of high quality local talent.

We are currently seeing more awareness of Nebraska basketball (both locally and nationally)...Nebraska's continued success under Tim Miles will lead to these high school kids realizing that tUNL is full of legit opportunities...Tim Miles has already started to generate MUCH more exposure and MUCH more interest (both locally and nationally).

And I doubt that Nebraska's 3 biggest recruiting wins of this offseason (Andrew White III, Ed Morrow, and Glynn Watson) care how successful Creighton or UNO are.

In my opinion, the only thing that matters for this Nebraska basketball program is growing the Nebrasketball brand both locally and nationally.

theUniversityOfNebraska

That was poor journalism today by Shatel. The premise of the article is that CU and other schools in the BE don't get fb revenue = not enough $$$ to stay relevant in terms of recruiting against the 'power five'. Someone who is more educated on the financial side of this equation would have to do some number crunching but I do not think CU or most members of the Big East (as well as the AAC or MWC, BYU/ Zaga) will have trouble keeping up with the money being thrown around by the 'power five' basketball schools. The only scenario where I see us possibly running into trouble is if there's not a hard cap on how much can be spent on a player per year - and that won't happen, because at that point there's no real difference between the NCAA and the NFL/NBA other than average skill level of player

This development has a much, much larger impact on football recruiting, imo. That's where there's a ton of money involved - 85 players to field an entire roster. Scholarship offers are often thrown around in football like free candy, but now each offer will hold a lot of value for both player and university. It makes me worry about colleges where football is favored by tradition/culture/boosters, but basketball is still relevant I.E. Nebraska, Ohio State, Wisconsin, Michigan in the B1G. FSU, Florida also come to mind. How much budget will be 'leftover' after football is taken care of for these schools to keep bringing in top talents for basketball?

I think you are wrong. Football revenues far exceed basketball only schools. Paying one team isn't the hard part, paying every scholarship athlete the stipend and the other expenses go up.

I see it differently. The B1G does enough to prop up NU's laurels. We don't need, and shouldn't want, CU and UNO to get good because it heightens recruiting battles locally when a good player does arise. I'd much rather have them be crappy and give us the upper hand with the better team, better conference, etc to coast to easy recruiting victories. I liken it to when KU, KSU, and Mizzou were crappy in football Nebraska cleaned up the stars in those states. When those teams got better we started losing out on some. With the limited talent already around NU for hoops you want to maximize your chances. Thats my take anyways.
Having three teams that are competitive in their conferences and provide consistent opportunities to go to the dance is good for NU. It will raise the awareness of instate kids that basketball is a legitimate option, not just football (and to a lesser extent baseball) and hopefully from that you'll see more local talent emerge. More awareness, more opportunities, more exposure, more interest.

In my opinion, Nebraska doesn't need that.

If Nebraska is consistently competitive in the Big Ten (which is arguably the #1 basketball conference right now) and if Nebraska has consistent opportunities to go to the NCAA tournament...then that will raise the awareness of instate kids that basketball is a legitimate option (not just football).

If you talk to high school coaches in the state (especially in the Omaha metro) they will tell you that Nebraska is already on the verge of an increase of high quality local talent.

We are currently seeing more awareness of Nebraska basketball (both locally and nationally)...Nebraska's continued success under Tim Miles will lead to these high school kids realizing that tUNL is full of legit opportunities...Tim Miles has already started to generate MUCH more exposure and MUCH more interest (both locally and nationally).

And I doubt that Nebraska's 3 biggest recruiting wins of this offseason (Andrew White III, Ed Morrow, and Glynn Watson) care how successful Creighton or UNO are.

In my opinion, the only thing that matters for this Nebraska basketball program is growing the Nebrasketball brand both locally and nationally.

theUniversityOfNebraska

Fair enough, my point is that the other programs having success in the state isn't something NU should run from. They should be better than both of them right now and if Miles keeps doing what he does, the other programs can be as good as they want to be and it won't impact NU. Perhaps the RPI boost would actually work to our benefit (if they're of that quality). 

Nebraska (the state) needs to see the talent increase state-wide, though, not just in Omaha. Nebraska's success has a lot more to do with that, than Creighton or UNO do.

Agreed - Nebraska's success is the key - in the long run, the other programs are just window dressing. When NU is good, everyone else in the state will be taking a back seat, just as it was in the early 90s.

Somewhat related to this topic - Interesting spread in the OWH yesterday, as UNO's new on-campus (sort of) arena will be open for 2015-16 basketball/hockey seasons. That obviously will be great for UNO's men's basketball, a big step up from Ralston Arena. 

Also should be interesting to see how Century Link losing UNO hockey will affect the arena's finances. I'm sure some of those renting suites at C-Link were there for UNO hockey and had no interest in anything else going on there, and therefore will be taking their dollars to the new UNO arena. Not a lot, but some.

If the arena's lone remaining primary tenant puts together a stinker of 2014-15 season, it'll be interesting to see whether the arena can replace any suite holders it may lose when UNO hockey leaves before the 2015-16 season. I would imagine they can, but who knows? Fans can be fickle, especially when NU hoops is going strong just down I-80.

And it'll be interesting to see how the C-Link handles the rent for its remaining primary tenant. C-Link almost certainly will have to try to make up for some of the lost UNO hockey income, especially because it has been my understanding that UNO hockey had a really bad deal with C-Link from a financial standpoint, so the loss of Mavs hockey would appear to be doubly tough for the C-Link to withstand - losing both the general revenue from hockey, as well as losing a favorable financial deal.

The new model also will allow the 65 schools within the five highest-resourced conferences the flexibility to make decisions for themselves in a specific list of areas intended to improve the student-athlete experience, including:

Health and wellness.

Meals and nutrition.

Financial aid.

Expenses and benefits for student-athletes.

Expenses and benefits for prospective student-athletes.

Insurance and career transition.

Career pursuits.

Time demands.

Academic support.

Recruiting.

Personnel.

Much of the model will be effective next year, though the 65 schools have begun developing their agenda for discussion at the 2015 NCAA Convention in Washington, D.C.

But isn't that determined after the student does or doesn't graduate?

I don't know much about the APR, obviously.

With APR it's either graduating or leaving in good standing....which is how Kentucky can have a good APR with all those kids going pro.  Good standing is essentially you finished up your semester/year by going to class and passing most of your classes.

I think athletic scholarships should be determined by athletic performance, just as academic scholarships are determined by academic performance. If a player isn't fulfilling his athletic promise, the scholly could be removed. If a student on a full-ride academic scholarship lets his GPA dip below a certain level (3.5, for example), his scholly is removed.

Texas athletic director: With new rules, Longhorns would pay each player - Dallas Morning News

http://www.dallasnews.com/sports/college-sports/headlines/20141021-texas-athletic-director-with-new-rules-longhorns-will-pay-each-player-10000.ece

WASHINGTON — The University of Texas will spend nearly $6 million a year to comply with a string of recent legal rulings requiring colleges to be more generous to their scholarship athletes.

That won’t break the bank, Athletic Director Steve Patterson said Tuesday at a forum on the fast-changing business of college sports. But even rich programs like UT’s will be forced to make tough choices in the future if momentum in the courts continues to push colleges to treat their players like employees or semi-pros, he said.