Updates from around the B1G

Row6Seat10

Purdue:

Here's a piece where Purdue Head Coach Sharon Versyp has a question and answer session with the Purdue media and blames this losing season on everything and anything, but what 95% of what Boilermaker fans think.....the head coach herself.

"I wouldn't say we're at a crossroads. We've got to get it done," Versyp said. "We've been here nine years – this is the only bad season. Everybody's had a bad season; look around. I would be even more upset – it's not an excuse – but if Torrie (Thornton) was healthy, April (Wilson) was healthy and 100 percent, Bridget Perry was healthy and we still had this, then maybe.

"If we had our healthy horses and just one (player) totally gone and everybody totally healthy, like everybody else in the Big Ten, I would be like, 'Oh (expletive).' "

Q: Are you concerned about attendance and getting it going? As a coach, how do you get the attendance to bump back up again? Note: Purdue led the Big Ten in attendance and ranked No. 9 nationally, based on the figures released, but the program had its lowest announced average attendance (6,279) since 1994-95.

A: It doesn't matter what you do, if you don't win, nobody is going to come. I thought our fan support still was great. I thanked the fans. They see two kids on wheelies and they see four kids in boots. They get it. I've had so much support with people telling me, 'Hey, we've got this.' I don't care who you are, anywhere in the country they're having attendance problems

http://www.jconline.com/story/sports/2015/03/15/purdue-womens-basketball-sharon-versyp-weve-got-to-get-it-done/24809807/

Okay, and what did coach Yori say about all of the injures she had this year? To me she threw her team under the bus WOW.

• 2 weeks later...

KU:

A reputable source close to the Princeton women’s basketball team tells Ivy Hoops Online that Princeton women's basketball head coach Courtney Banghart is close to accepting a deal to become the next head coach at Kansas, which fired Bonnie Hendrickson after 11 seasons last month.

The source said Banghart, who is 169-67 (.716) with five NCAA tournament appearances in seven seasons at the helm at Princeton, became a frontrunner for the position after she was named on Fortune Magazine’s annual list of the World’s 50 Greatest Leaders.

http://ivyhoopsonline.com/2015/04/01/courtney-banghart-close-to-deal-to-take-over-at-kansas/

Former Husker Jina Johansen has been named the new Women's Basketball Coach at Hastings College. 

http://www.hastingsbroncos.com/article/1264.php#.VSQJNVTG5uI

Good for Jina! I wonder how many players coming out of high school can remember her when she played here some ten years ago? The game when we beat #2 Baylor in 3 overtimes with her leading the way still ranks as one of the best games I've ever witnessed at the Bob!

Not so sure the administration at KU even cares about women's basketball as they've still not named a new head coach as right now is a very important time for hosting official visits. This article says Stephen F. Austin's head coach Brandon Schneider is the leading contender.

Brandon Schneider, Stephen F. Austin University’s women’s basketball coach, has emerged as a leading candidate to fill the vacancy at Kansas University created when Bonnie Henrickson was fired.

Schneider is in his fifth year at the Southland Conference school in Nacogdoches, Texas. Before that, he coached Div. II Emporia State to 11 NCAA tournament appearances, two Final Fours and a 2010 national championship in 12 seasons

Sounds as if the search is over down in Lawrence.

Kansas, after weeks of searching, has finally settled in on who their next head coach will be. The Jayhawks will hire Brandon Schneider from Stephen F. Austin, per sources.

After the firing of Bonnie Henrickson, Kansas has been very methodical in their search for Henrickson's replacement. And after interviewing Schneider on Tuesday, the Jayhawks decided to offer him the job, and Schneider accepted.

7142140.jpeg

http://www.swishappeal.com/2015/4/19/8454923/breaking-kansas-to-hire-brandon-schneider-from-stephen-f-austin