Pretty Awesome Story About a MSU Commit

Wow. That's pretty depressing. There is something pretty screwed up about that story.

First, the AAU guy gets guardianship and actually does something pretty admirable: puts him in what appears to be an excellent foster home that provided stability for seven months:

"His foster parents bought him an extra-long mattress and scheduled meetings with teachers to get him on track academically. They brought him on family vacations (they have four other children as well), and he began referring to them as “Moms” and “Pops.” For the first time, his world seemed stable."

But then the AAU guy interfered with that stability:

"So his coaches stepped in again—without consulting his foster family—this time sending him three hours away, to Sunrise Christian Academy, a small prep school with a high-profile basketball program. Mr. Clark initially resisted."

Such interference pops up several times throughout the story. Sounds like the player ultimately made his own choice for MSU and rejected the AAU guy's push elsewhere. Hope things work out for him.

But what happens to this player if pro basketball doesn't work out for him? Kinda disturbing!

What I took from that article...Indiana put together the best "recruiting package" for the AAU handler, and although Marvin Clark had absolutely no desire to go there, he darn near ended up there because his family needed money (whether that meant future NBA $$$ or immediate $$$, that's up for debate). It wasn't until his mom stepped in and said "don't go just for the money" that he decided to go to Michigan State.

Yeah, pretty sad that the AAU coach had such great influence over where the kid was going to go and it was based on what was best for the AAU program. 

There has to be money changing hands.  Somewhere.

Yep. Probably something like Bayl --- I mean, Indiana --- having someone offer a nice amount to Den -- I mean, Clark's --- handler (doesn't that term just scream money changing hands?) to be routed back to his family. Everyone wins, except for the recruit who ends up at a school that wasn't his favorite.

Yes, a real heartwarming story.  Especially, that nice man, Mr. Caruthers from the AAU program.  That was really nice of him to take such an interest in the young basketball player from the economically disadvantaged family.  Driving him all the way to Indiana and putting him up in a hotel room, since it was just an unofficial visit, not paid for by the school.  Mr. Caruthers is an assistant coach at a junior college.  i wonder how much that pays.  Oh, and he also helps run an AAU program.  This is where he encourages young players to go to schools with which he has a "relationship."  Speaking of schools, the tuition at Sunrise Christian Academy is $6,700, plus another $800 for book and activity fees.  Not bad, for a kid whose mother is being threatened with eviction from her apartment because she can't afford the rent.  God bless Mr. Caruthers.

Yes, a real heartwarming story.  Especially, that nice man, Mr. Caruthers from the AAU program.  That was really nice of him to take such an interest in the young basketball player from the economically disadvantaged family.  Driving him all the way to Indiana and putting him up in a hotel room, since it was just an unofficial visit, not paid for by the school.  Mr. Caruthers is an assistant coach at a junior college.  i wonder how much that pays.  Oh, and he also helps run an AAU program.  This is where he encourages young players to go to schools with which he has a "relationship."  Speaking of schools, the tuition at Sunrise Christian Academy is $6,700, plus another $800 for book and activity fees.  Not bad, for a kid whose mother is being threatened with eviction from her apartment because she can't afford the rent.  God bless Mr. Caruthers.

Either the writer of the story is really naive, or the writer hid all the dirty laundry he found along the way during his reporting.

School with relationship to Sunrise: "Hey Caruthers, we like that kid. He's amazing. Convince him to go to Sunrise. We'll give you this briefcase."

Caruthers: "Sure thing, School. I will go pick him up at his house and move him here."

School: "Thanks, and after you do that, please try and convince him to commit to our school. We've got another briefcase for you."

Caruthers: "I like briefcases."