Tai's summer

GATA

Am I just being selfish?  I can't wait to see Tai get these games over with and get back to Lincoln.  I understand why a coaching staff lets them go overseas (recruiting-wise, it would backfire if you had a reputation for not letting players take advantage of the opportunity).  Other than that, I don't think there is much up-side for Nebraska.  Tai could get injured (like Leslee), or burned out from playing.  And will playing in the World cup make Tai a better college player?

I know, I'm being selfish.

I'm with you on this, actually.  I believe the experience will be beneficial for him, but I think the time away from school and his teammates may hurt him.

A portion of the time he has been gone the rest of the team has had for a vacation time to go home and rest up.  Not saying the others werent working on their time off but he has been going hardcore all summer long.  He and Terran stayed in Lincoln to get better doing 2 a day workouts and then he went to play against the worlds best after that. 

Am I just being selfish?  I can't wait to see Tai get these games over with and get back to Lincoln.  I understand why a coaching staff lets them go overseas (recruiting-wise, it would backfire if you had a reputation for not letting players take advantage of the opportunity).  Other than that, I don't think there is much up-side for Nebraska.  Tai could get injured (like Leslee), or burned out from playing.  And will playing in the World cup make Tai a better college player?

I know, I'm being selfish.

I'd like to think its a promotion for NU as well as a huge thrill for the players.  Thats THEIR country they are playing for.  Its an honor to represent your fellow man.  In Tai's experience getting to play against the best players in the world when he plays the USA will be an incredible opportunity to test himself to the highest degree and should hopefully push him to get even better.  I know most athletes of this caliber, when they go head to head, want to be better than the other person and if they are not will take the necessary means to do so.  I'm sure Terran probably felt the same way at Adidas Nations playing against the NBA players that got the better of him.  Iron sharpens iron and these opportunities are huge pluses for all parties.

Very good points, Kamdy.

Check out these Tai Webster stats in today's Omaha World Herald:

Tai Webster is "coming off a 21-point performance in a 102-96 upset of Serbia" where he had "32 minutes of work with only two turnovers. He hit 11 of 13 free throws and 2 of 3 3-pointers."

Scheesh . . . that's a new Tai in just about every respect!!

I hope they get eliminated as soon as possible, and that Tai plays out of his mind fantastic!

This. I don't want him to get injured and hope the tournament still does something good for his confidence.

There is a decent chance they are eliminated.

The USA and Turkey are probably sure things to advance.

The Tall Blacks need to find two wins against the group of Finland, Ukraine, and the Dominican Republic.

Ukraine and Finland happen to be the last two teams NZ plays and possibly the weakest.  You could see an 0-3 New Zealand squad rebound to make the tourney.

Rough finish for the Tall Blacks. People must remember Webster is a young one going up against those grown men. Look forward to having him back on campus this year!

So you're saying he still has room for some hair to grow on his legs?

Hope so!!! I tell ya what though, that player for New Zealand has NO room left for hair on his face.

Webster just got an unsportsmanlike call...

That was pretty bad.  He also had a couple of those "where the hell are these going" passes he throws on occasion. He also needs to finish a bit better if he's going to take it to the rim against a big man....draw that contact.

His jumper looks better, he was always back on defense, and he looked fairly aggressive on the boards. He really looks like he'll bounce back this year.