Ayegba will help a little but he's incredibly foul prone.

bkamler

In his career at Georgetown, he played a total of 694 minutes and had 84 fouls.

To put that in perspective, he would foul out after playing just 24 minutes in an average game.

He's had 33 blocked shots, so for every blocked shot he fouls 2.5 times. He must try to block every shot instead of playing sound defense.

Unless he makes major improvements in a very short amount of time, I suspect he'll give us about 10 minutes a game and he won't be in at the end of games because he is a 47% free throw shooter. I hope I'm wrong.

BTW, as a junior, he averaged 1 foul about every 5 minutes, which means he'd play about 25 minutes on average before fouling out.  I doubt we ask him for 25 minutes/game.

Second, his fouls are probably coming at or near the rim rather than 25 feet from the basket.  His fouls probably prevent easy baskets and force opponents to earn them from the stripe.  Perhaps not bad fouls.

Finally, as stated elsewhere, it's better than leaving the spot open another year.

Here is a comment I made elsewhere on this subject.

Foul trouble propensity is, obviously, an issue for Ayegba. However, Jim Molinari might be able to help a little here--after all, the Leathenecks led the nation last year in fewest fouls committed while ranking second in scoring defense. Progress for Ayegba on his foul propensity issue will, in and of itself, increase the value of his contributions dramatically.

Very valid concerns

Games last year for Ayegba

vs Kansas - Fouled out in 10 minutes

vs Marquette - Fouled out in 12 minutes

vs Bulter - Fouled out in 15 minutes

vs DePaul - Fouled out in 17 minutes

vs Xavier - Fouled out in 18 minutes

vs DePaul - Fouled out in 22 minutes

I think Swan88 is correct in figuring that Coach Mo should help to mitigate the problem which was an issue for our entire team last year.  While we were one of the worst in the country at giving up FTs last year, we were middle of the road during conference play which was probably a combination of us being a bit more disciplined and the B1G being a physical league.  Ayegba should fit in during conference play and hopefully will have adjusted before then.  Pitchford fouled out of 2 of his first 4 games here. In his next 28 games he didn't foul out and only had 4 fouls in two games so it's something I think the staff in general can focus on and fix. 

The FT shooting is a bit more problematic as I doubt he's going to get that fixed during the offseason.  While it's been on low volumes, he's shot 42% and 45% over the last two years (yikes!).  In a rotation with Smith and/or Hammond you'll see him start simply to reduce the number of FT attempts he might take vs when we are in the bonus.

All of our players have strengths and weakness...it's up to the coaching staff to figure out how to minimize the weaknesses during game play.

To put that in perspective, he would foul out after playing just 24 minutes in an average game.

He's had 33 blocked shots, so for every blocked shot he fouls 2.5 times. He must try to block every shot instead of playing sound defense.

Unless he makes major improvements in a very short amount of time, I suspect he'll give us about 10 minutes a game and he won't be in at the end of games because he is a 47% free throw shooter. I hope I'm wrong.

I know that people are consumed with stat sheets, but his "blocked shots" numbers only tell part of the story. With a 7'4" wingspan, he will consistently alter shots as well as alter paths to the basket, even if he doesn't stuff the stat sheet with "blocked shots". I would be willing to bet that a high percentage of his fouls stopped easy layups (which could be just as much a result of poor perimeter defense and their guards getting beat off the dribble). Ayegba is an absolutely huge addition to this roster. Stats don't tell the whole story with him.

...YET...I love the idea of an enforcer so to speak.  Meaning, if someone decides they want to meander into our lane, there will be consequences.  Perhaps they will score, but more often than not, they either get stuffed, they get the ball stolen, or they end up on their a**. 

I am not advocating that we play dirty...What I am advocating is that we continue our GATA defense with one difference from last year.  We now will have an eraser in the paint.  We had Leslee and Walter last year...and as the year progressed, we had successess and failures.  But Moses gives us something we have not had in quite some time.

Plus he will generate some fouls on the other guys--with those free throw shooting percentages, the scout will be to "hack-a-Moses". While that approach can be effective, it can also lead to putting the other team into the bonus earlier, and foul trouble at ends of games. The downside for us is it is hard to play a guy who shoots under 50% from the line late in games.

Plus he will generate some fouls on the other guys--with those free throw shooting percentages, the scout will be to "hack-a-Moses". While that approach can be effective, it can also lead to putting the other team into the bonus earlier, and foul trouble at ends of games. The downside for us is it is hard to play a guy who shoots under 50% from the line late in games.

Thats the great part though.  He's not Dwight Howard where he needs to be on the floor at the end of the game.  If he can draw some fouls early on to get them into the bonus at the end of the game when he's on the bench they will have to be more careful fouling our better shooters and giving us free points.

Your math is wrong.  694 minutes / 84 fouls is one foul per every 8.26 minutes.  Given that you are allotted 5 fouls per game, he wouldn't, on average, reach 5 fouls until he participated in 41.3 minutes of playing time.

Your math is wrong.  694 minutes / 84 fouls is one foul per every 8.26 minutes.  Given that you are allotted 5 fouls per game, he wouldn't, on average, reach 5 fouls until he participated in 41.3 minutes of playing time.

Hey no one told me there would be Math here!

"Tim Miles grabbed a transfer, Moses Ayegba, and I gotta be honest, I’ve never seen so much excitement for a player averaging two points and three rebounds on an NIT team. That’s no disrespect to Miles or Ayegba, it’s simply a reflection of the enthusiasm right now in the Nebrasketball fan base."

Another backhanded compliment from Dirk

"Tim Miles grabbed a transfer, Moses Ayegba, and I gotta be honest, I’ve never seen so much excitement for a player averaging two points and three rebounds on an NIT team. That’s no disrespect to Miles or Ayegba, it’s simply a reflection of the enthusiasm right now in the Nebrasketball fan base."

Another backhanded compliment from Dirk

Where is Dirk seeing all this "excitement"?

Quoting the thread title:

"Ayegba will help a little but he's incredibly foul prone."

Wow, try to contain the enthusiasm in that statement.