Shatel Article

Swan88

Tom Shatel has an interesting article in today's Omaha World-Herald titled, "Miles in rumor mill is hint of Huskers' relevance."  Here are a few blurbs:

"The Nebraska men's basketball program grew up last week. Did you see it?

A college hoops guru wrote a note online that said to expect Missouri to go after Nebraska coach Tim Miles for its basketball opening.  There's a sentence I didn't think I'd ever read in my lifetime. Or any lifetime. 

. . .

Now, Kentucky or Kansas haven't called. But the fact is, a job like Missouri or Tennessee can't lure away the Nebraska basketball coach. There's another one of those weird sentences.

. . . 

Perception is everything in college sports. And the perception of Husker Hoops changed last season, and then again last week. The common denominator is the guy flying to Minneapolis. Don't worry, he promises to return.

» Darn. I forgot to ask Miles if he has heard from Phil Jackson yet."

While I could not agree with TS's thoughts on TM staying here more...I can't help but wonder if he read my post from a month ago when I responded to Norm's concern of TM leaving for greener pastures by responding in part with:

"Coaches look for schools with better conference...Miles, check!

Coaches look for schools with better facilities...Miles, check!

Coaches look for schools with great fan bases...Miles, check!

Coaches look for schools close to their family...Miles, check!

Coaches look for schools with access to best recruits...OK, here we are challenged...but not nearly comparable to the football model that needs 25 to 30 recruits a year. Miles only needs 3 to 4 a year. Miles can do this. Lincoln is transforming itself into a relatively hip town! as the Haymarket evolves. Weather won't stop good athletes. Bo Ryan gets them to Madison. Tom Izzo to Lansing.

Finally, coaches look for schools with the ability and willingness to spend $$$...Miles, check! Don't worry, SE gets it.

I believe Miles has the ability and foresight to treat NU, not as a stepping stone, but rather a final destination. He does not need to follow another coach anywhere else...when the ultimate destination can be achieved by leading players here."

In any event, Miles is here for a good stretch of time. If Izzo can stay at MSU and Ryan at Wisky...it is fair to assume the Miles family can grow and prosper in Lincoln.

I think we have Miles until Shields/Petteway/Pitchford are gone.  We're going to have to hope he gets some really good recruits to commit in the meantime, otherwise he might think he caught lightning in a bottle with those guys and go somewhere that he can actually recruit to.

I think we have Miles until Shields/Petteway/Pitchford are gone.  We're going to have to hope he gets some really good recruits to commit in the meantime, otherwise he might think he caught lightning in a bottle with those guys and go somewhere that he can actually recruit to.

I respectfully disagree. He has consistently shown that he can recruit the kind of guys he needs to help him turn a program around. Plus he has obviously been able to get those guys to buy into his vision and plan, much like he did here. He did this at previous stops with woefully less than he has to sell here. I seen no reason why TM can't finally start landing those real difference makers that will take this program to level of success it has not seen before.

I respectfully disagree. He has consistently shown that he can recruit the kind of guys he needs to help him turn a program around. Plus he has obviously been able to get those guys to buy into his vision and plan, much like he did here. He did this at previous stops with woefully less than he has to sell here. I seen no reason why TM can't finally start landing those real difference makers that will take this program to level of success it has not seen before.

I'm not discrediting Miles at all.  There's no doubt in my mind that he has what it takes and knows how to get the guys here that we need.  My concern is entirely with Nebraska and if we have what it takes to be a sustainable power in college basketball.  Miles is too good of a coach to be shackled in areas he can't control (eg location).

I'm not discrediting Miles at all.  There's no doubt in my mind that he has what it takes and knows how to get the guys here that we need.  My concern is entirely with Nebraska and if we have what it takes to be a sustainable power in college basketball.  Miles is too good of a coach to be shackled in areas he can't control (eg location).

Pay the man like it's a top job and it'll end nearly every conversation about him jumping to another job except one of the top elite jobs. 

He wins here and that will be a statue of Tim Miles outside the arena.  There is no reason Nebraska can't win at basketball.  No we don't have a plethora of D1 talent in basketball every year like other locations but kids from other places will come to Lincoln if the coach can sell them and mom on the benefits.  Heck Missouri produces a bunch of D1 basketball players and their roster from this year featured 3 (one redshirting after transferring back from Notre Dame, one that played significant minutes and one that was seldom used (another transfer back).  Kids will travel if they perceive playing time and a chance to get to the next level.

I guess that's what we pay him the big bucks for...

Pay the man like it's a top job and it'll end nearly every conversation about him jumping to another job except one of the top elite jobs. 

He'll be making 2.15 mil by 2017-18.  That's Bo Ryan money.

I'd argue that you'd set him up for backlash if he fails to live up to expectations.  I think he will but how what will be the public opinion if we only make the NIT this year? What is more likely to get him out of Lincoln, the lure of big money somewhere or the torch and pitchfork guys that spend most of their time on football?

Once again, let the man get through year 3-4 of a 7 year contract and then decide to bump it.

I'd argue that you'd set him up for backlash if he fails to live up to expectations.  I think he will but how what will be the public opinion if we only make the NIT this year? What is more likely to get him out of Lincoln, the lure of big money somewhere or the torch and pitchfork guys that spend most of their time on football?

Once again, let the man get through year 3-4 of a 7 year contract and then decide to bump it.

I will bet you money that he'll be at 2.15m before 2017.  Especially if PBA continues to stay sold out.

As a sidebar, WHO was Miles visiting in Minnesota? And, as far as Missouri goes, Doc Sadler had a winning record against them. Put that in your pipe and smoke it Tigers! 

Alex Illikainen, I believe.

Also, am I the only one who'd want Craig Smith to get a hard look if Miles were to move on some day? I really have a high opinion of him.

As a sidebar, WHO was Miles visiting in Minnesota? And, as far as Missouri goes, Doc Sadler had a winning record against them. Put that in your pipe and smoke it Tigers! 

Also, am I the only one who'd want Craig Smith to get a hard look if Miles were to move on some day? I really have a high opinion of him.

I would think it's the obvious choice.  Particularly if he has some success at USD.

I will bet you money that he'll be at 2.15m before 2017.  Especially if PBA continues to stay sold out.

My point is that Miles isn't underpaid at the moment.

Probably not, no.

But if he was making $1.8 right now he wouldn't be overpaid, either.

Probably not, no.

He made 1.775 mil last year with bonuses.  If he makes the tourney again he'll hit 1.8

Probably not, no.

He made 1.775 mil last year with bonuses.  If he makes the tourney again he'll hit 1.8

I meant $1.8 as the base salary not being out of line right now given his accomplishments at NU.

Anyway...point is, if he keeps having success at Nebraska (he should) and if PBA continues to sell out (it will), it would shock me if his contract isn't adjusted before 2017 rolls around.

Probably not, no.

I meant $1.8 as the base salary not being out of line right now given his accomplishments at NU.

Anyway...point is, if he keeps having success at Nebraska (he should) and if PBA continues to sell out (it will), it would shock me if his contract isn't adjusted before 2017 rolls around.

That's what I assumed you meant from the very beginning.

Thanks Hooper, I bet you're right. We've still have a good chance with this kid, especially since Richie Pitino is going to Missouri (ha ha)