Brey bolting South Bend for Cal?

mrj

Saw this on SI.com this morning.. 

One phone call: That's all it may take to change so much of what fans expect from the future of the Notre Dame basketball. A source familiar with the coaching search at the University of California told the Tribune on Thursday afternoon that Notre Dame's Mike Brey is among the short list of candidates that athletic director Sandy Barbour would like to speak with to replace Mike Montgomery. Montgomery announced his retirement Monday after six seasons in Berkeley. Brey, who is attending the Final Four this weekend in North Texas, was unavailable for comment. Having recently completed his 14th season in South Bend, Brey is 300-159 with three Big East coach of the year honors (2007, '08, '11) and one Associated Press national coach of the year (2011) recognition. He turned 55 late last month.

Has Miles ever said anything about Notre Dame being a place he'd like to coach or are we worried that Miles would jump to Notre Dame just because it's nominally Catholic?

From a basketball perspective, I'm not sure Notre Dame has more to offer than a lot of other places.  And if the Catholic affiliation would be incentive to go to Notre Dame, then it would have to also be incentive to want to stay here. 

In spite of what a lot of non-Catholics might have been led to believe about the Lincoln Diocese, I think if you were Tim and Kari Miles, you'd be hard pressed to find a better place to raise your kids.  That has to count for something.

I think this will come up a lot over the next few years. If Tim takes to the next level he will be on other teams lists.

Something new and very scary for us.

An unreliable resource, coincidentally on April 1, told me that Miles is going to Marquette.

And, as we know from the LJS, Animal Planet U seems to be looking for their next King of the Jungle... ;)

Not worried about ND at all.

The only way Miles leaves is for a big time basketball power.

There are 2 schools that worry me more than others - Notre Dame (see his childhood dream quote below) and Wisconsin.

Given his Catholic background, I can see why he might like ND.  But I can't imagine their facilities are even close to ours.

Wisconsin worries me a lot more.  When does Bo Ryan retire?  TM considers Bo Ryan a model coach.  And I could see Barry Alvarez making a strong push for a guy like TM.  There's a lot more to choose from recruiting-wise in Wisconsin than there is in Nebraska.   Maybe I should root for Wisky to lose in the Final Four.  If they win out this weekend, what better time would there be for Bo to retire?

Having said all this, there are a lot of reasons to stay.  Don't pull your families roots just 2 years after the last time.  Folks live in town.  Unfinished business.  Great facilities and fan support.

"If you follow his path, it's really incredible," Grove said. "I remember sitting at a hotel with him his first year at Mayville State, and we stated talking about goals for the future. Here's a guy who was a JV player at the University of Mary and had just taken over a two-win program, and he says, 'Someday I want to make Notre Dame a basketball school.' I don't know if he has that goal today. I know he loves Nebraska. But the point is, even way back then, he had the mentality he was going to get it done."

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaab-the-dagger/tim-miles-mastery-rebuilding-projects-began-long-turning-155350424--ncaab.html

I honestly don't see Miles leaving for quite some time for numerous reasons.

B10 conference is one of if not the best

Facilities at NU are unreal

His assistants are getting almost what they want

He is building a winner and we all know damn well that this State will go bonkers if NU hoops becomes a winner (see baseball w/Van Horn)

Close to his family

$$$  (we will open up the pocket books to keep this man around as they are seeing what he can/will do for NU)

The only reason I ever see Miles feel he may need to leave is recruiting here can be difficult/frustrating.  At the same time, if NU does continue to win, this will get much easier.  Telling guys they can play in the B10, great facilities and in front of a sellout crowd kind of helps :)

I am a very stong Catholic and Christian and I personnally would never step foot on Notre Dame's campus.  Are they a Catholic University, yes.  But, they have been controversial on many church related topics (simply google Notre Dame's controversies with the church). 

As a youth, I aspired to coach or lead specific teams as well.  As one ages, things change.  Life creates new dreams and desires.  Five years ago perhaps Coach Miles thought Minnesota and Notre Dame were his dream jobs.  Today, NEBRASKA is his new reality...he no longer needs to dream about anything other than Husker championships, and if he continues with his exponential improvement in this program, soon those dreams will be his new reality.

Some discussion on the ND Scout site from February:  http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=109&f=2596&t=12690030

FWIW, I think the whole "make ND a basketball school" thing was more colloquial than literal.  IMO, Nebraska fits the bill just as well for his purposes.  But, what do I know?  I could be wrong.

Exactly!    and this is closer to his home folks!

I also had dreams when I was little...they change.

Get over the thought of NU being a stepping stone...we are now a destination!

The only job that would worry me about Miles leaving is Notre Dame.  His catholic faith and his comments in his first press conference are the reasons.  Hopefully it's just me being overly worried.

I don't see him going to Wisconsin.  I don't think Alvarez would go after a Nebraska coach.  Could be wrong again, but I don't see him doing that.