uneblinstu's post game chatter: vol 5, ed 5 - Tulane

uneblinstu

- Nebraska played with great intensity to start the game, shot the ball well, seemed to take Tulane a little off guard.

- NU hit seven 3's in the first half and were only up 5. Good job by Tulane to not let the game get out of hand.

- Conversly, Tulane set the pace in the 2nd half and clearly outplayed the Huskers the first 12 minutes or so.

- Nebraska got a pretty balanced attack with four players in double figures including two with 14.

- NU was pretty abysmal from the line. 11/19 isn’t going to cut it.

- Tulane has a nice little tandem with Davis and Callahan. This was a team that came in averaging more than 75 ppg and NU held them to under 60. It didn’t feel like it at times, but that’s a pretty impressive defensive effort from the Huskers.

- NU has to do a better job of rebounding, especially defensively. That stat alone kept Tulane in the game. That was the book on the Green Wave. They like to crash the boards, and they did tonight. 11 offensive rebounds are way too many.

- I’m a little concerned about the conditioning of this team. They seemed a little gassed at times in the middle of the 2nd half. They got a nice second wind, but that may be something to keep an eye on.

- Offensively, they looked a little sluggish too. Not as much movement as we’ve seen in previous games.

- This was a pretty solid win. Tulane is a team that probably would be in the middle of the pack in most major conferences. Easily the best team NU has faced so far and they had to battle through some adversity and found a way to make it happen.

- The refs seemed a bit over their head as well. That’s all I’ll say about that.

- Good to see Shields make it onto the court. He looked like he hadn’t practiced much, a little rusty, nervous too, but he didn’t look out of place. Give him some time and he’ll be just fine. - Nebraska played with great intensity to start the game, shot the ball well, seemed to take Tulane a little off guard.

- Gritty win. We found a way, despite a lot of warts.

- Rebounding was ugly. We simply were not quick to the ball.

- We did pretty well handling the ball. I was expecting more issues, but we did okay.

- Free throw shooting has to improve...oh...and we need to do a better job getting to the line.

- Coach Miles really got after Rivers during a time out in the first half...red as**d him...very demonstative.

- David lacks consistant effort on the court...so he will look good, and then lay an egg.

- Nice to see Shavon on the court. He will help, but there is rust that has to be knocked off.

- Parker is a good one and continues to get better. He is a tough dude, and I love watching him take it to the hole.

- Gallegos played decent defense and hit some big shots. He also made the FT to ice the game.

- Ubel needs to stay away from the cheap fouls - we need him on the floor...he is our stablizing influence

- Andre stepped up in the second half. If he can sustain that game, it will be wonderful

- Note Andre and Brandon are both getting called for cheap a** fouls. Perhaps they are earned, but they seem to be more physical than anyone we have played so far...so any bump is being called a foul. Perhaps as we move to the Big Ten schedule, that will not happen as much.

- Talley has been and continues to be a stud. He played tough defense and made some clutch baskets. He also started taking it to the hole. He covered Davis-00 (along with Ubel) and handled his length very well.

Nice win against a pretty decent team.

- Nebraska played with great intensity to start the game, shot the ball well, seemed to take Tulane a little off guard.

- NU hit seven 3's in the first half and were only up 5. Good job by Tulane to not let the game get out of hand.

- Conversly, Tulane set the pace in the 2nd half and clearly outplayed the Huskers the first 12 minutes or so.

- Nebraska got a pretty balanced attack with four players in double figures including two with 14.

- Tulane has a nice little tandem with Davis and Callahan. This was a team that came in averaging more than 75 ppg and NU held them to under 60. It didn’t feel like it at times, but that’s a pretty impressive defensive effort from the Huskers.

- NU has to do a better job of rebounding, especially defensively. That stat alone kept Tulane in the game. That was the book on the Green Wave. They like to crash the boards, and they did tonight. 11 offensive rebounds are way too many.

- I’m a little concerned about the conditioning of this team. They seemed a little gassed at times in the middle of the 2nd half. They got a nice second wind, but that may be something to keep an eye on.

- Offensively, they looked a little sluggish too. Not as much movement as we’ve seen in previous games.

- This was a pretty solid win. Tulane is a team that probably would be in the middle of the pack in most major conferences. Easily the best team NU has faced so far and they had to battle through some adversity and found a way to make it happen.

- The refs seemed a bit over their head as well. That’s all I’ll say about that.

- Good to see Shields make it onto the court. He looked like he hadn’t practiced much, a little rusty, nervous too, but he didn’t look out of place. Give him some time and he’ll be just fine. - Nebraska played with great intensity to start the game, shot the ball well, seemed to take Tulane a little off guard.

- Good to see Shields make it onto the court. He looked like he hadn’t practiced much, a little rusty, nervous too, but he didn’t look out of place. Give him some time and he’ll be just fine.

You got so excited about this win that you had to repeat almost all of your points twice?

Fun game to be at tonight. Crowd was not great in comparison to back in the old days but it wasn't bad under the circumstances and we got some energy going toward the end.

While we struggle at times this team seems so much more efficient offensively than we have been the last few years. They run a true motion offense with good hard cuts that have a purpose - not just going through the "motions" as we have seemed to do in the past, if you will pardon the pun.

Good job defensively as well. Team defense is very good and we have good on ball defense as well. Talley seems like a completely different player on the defensive end than he did a year ago.

Refs tonight were AWFUL. I am usually not one to get worked up after the game about the refs but the only thing consistent about these guys was that they got more calls wrong than they got right - and in this case they seemed very one-sided against us as well. I bring it up mostly to give credit to our guys for playing through it and staying focused and credit to Miles also for not losing his head and staying in the game. Lots of good coaches would have gotten T'd up at least once tonight - but in the end we could not afford to give up free points or possessions.

We are going to take some lumps this year when the shots are not falling against decent teams. But from what I have seen so far I am excited about what Miles might be able to do here in the future.

Guys I really think Ubel did a heck of a job on Davis down the stretch. Davis had that old school 3 point play on him when he started guarding him, but I think he pretty well shut him down for awhile there ?

I thought going in that the D on Davis would be key to the game. Ubel did well, but everyone really kicked in pretty good. Tulane was more athletic and faster than us, so they should have been able to drive fairly easy. And for a good chunk of the second half, they did. I think they lost the game by going away from that in the last 8-9 minutes. If they keep pounding towards the rim, i think they win.

Guys I really think Ubel did a heck of a job on Davis down the stretch. Davis had that old school 3 point play on him when he started guarding him, but I think he pretty well shut him down for awhile there ?

Talley was guarding him half the time as well. Credit the coaching staff for being creative and once again managing the fouls.

Great win. Loved the defensive adjustment in the last 8 minutes where we ran a guy at the driver. There was some coaching going on....yet not overcoaching. We played more "free" down the stretch than the Valpo game and made some plays. Foul trouble, point guard in a lot of pain with his hand injury, backup point with a torn patellar tendon riding the bike for 10 minutes, bad calls--overcame it all and got the W. Very nice; important to enjoy each and every win, the effort, the toughness.

Happy Thanksgiving to all.

This was an exciting game. Nice to see them hold on and do what it takes to win a close one.

After 4 games, I think we can say that it appears that Ray and Ubes have stepped up their games. And Andre is playing with a little bit of 'tude. At times. Benny is at the very least a serviceable point and Talley is reasonably solid at both ends. In other words, we have a starting lineup that doesn't totally suck as badly as I think a lot of people feared it would.

The problem for this team is, has been, and will continue to be the bench. We got 8 points off the bench last night. We played a total of 8 players, including Shields. Which means that only 7 guys who played in any of the previous games got in last night. That's a short bench. Very short. Our starters can probably hold their own with a lot of teams we play this year but foul trouble will be a killer. If we get into foul trouble, we just don't have guys who can come in off the bench and step in at the level of the guys who will be sitting down.

The only player on the team who seems to be able to attack the rim in the half court is Talley. With Ray's quickness, he ought to be penetrating or pulling up in the paint. That would add a dimension to our offense and probably get us some free throws, which we really need more of.

Norm I think you will see Shields take it to the bucket when he gets more confidence and a better feel for the offense and his role. You are correct that we are only 8 deep short of an emergency situation (which will likely happen with foul trouble at times) but Miles has already shown a lot of different combinations among that group which should make it workable. Besides didn't we have a jr high girls coach on here a while back that told how cutting down to an 8 man (or little girl) rotation was the secret to his success - or something like that :)