Tulane Game Thread: Watch Out for That Train......

cipsucks

CWG since you were at the game... few questions

1. What was your take on Shields in his first game?

2. What was your take on the refin...

3. How big has Andre become??

4. Whats your take on the 4-0 Nebrasketball team!?!?

- Shavon looks pretty good, but one can tell he is rusty. He looks to be a kid who will take it to the basket. But he was a step or two slow tonight.

- The refereeing stunk. But of course I am biased...but the calls on Ubel and Almeida are hard to take.

- Andre turned it up a notch in the second half. He still is rusty, but he is looking better each game. He may struggle with fouls all year...siggghhh.

- I am proud of this team, especially tonight. We have a lot of warts. We do not have adequate depth which will come back to haunt us as the season moves on. But this is a gritty bunch. I enjoy watching them play, but it is going to be tough as we move through the remainder of the schedule, starting with Kent State, and then hold on...but you know what, I think there will be a few surprises. I really do. Tulane had some talent, and we stepped up.

I think we will play best at home.

This group fed off the crowd tonight. Indiana or Texas was the last time I heard it that loud.

I thought that the crowd was great when we needed to be. Red Zone were few but they worked it.

These crowds are the best during the Hoiidays, Must be different people in the seats.

The crowd was great the last 6 minutes or so...the best I recall in quite a while.

I would love to see a replay to see if the referees were as bad as they seemed....for those of you that were watching at home, did the replays calm you down or rile you up further...or did they not show them?

And what is the explanation for calling a timeout while falling out of bounds?

Great crowd...we just need more of you there.

The start of this season really couldn't have gone any better up to this point could it ? Now how great would it be if the footballl team wins Friday and everyone is feeling really good and comes out supports these guys Saturday night...say 8-9000 fans with some energy from the get-go like we got at the end tonight ?

Shavon seems like a Ryan Anderson type ( high hoops IQ, saavy etc ), except with more going for him athletically. Anyone else "seeing" that ? I've always thought that with a stronger supporting cast, that Ryan could have been even more effective ( not necessarily as big stat wise ). Hopefully Shavon will get that added benefit of a better overall roster.

Shavon seems like a Ryan Anderson type ( high hoops IQ, saavy etc ), except with more going for him athletically. Anyone else "seeing" that ? I've always thought that with a stronger supporting cast, that Ryan could have been even more effective ( not necessarily as big stat wise ). Hopefully Shavon will get that added benefit of a better overall roster.

He came in and off the bat did two things that we've struggled to do: Drive into the lane and draw contact and feed the ball into the paint. His upside is HUGE.

The crowd was great the last 6 minutes or so...the best I recall in quite a while.

I would love to see a replay to see if the referees were as bad as they seemed....for those of you that were watching at home, did the replays calm you down or rile you up further...or did they not show them?

And what is the explanation for calling a timeout while falling out of bounds?

Great crowd...we just need more of you there.

Great to hear the crowd was better than expected! I was kind of nervous at the beginning. But it was given that the student turnout would be fairly low. The referees were TERRIBLE (both ways). I really felt like they were making calls on things that weren't there. Those last two minutes were brutal on us. Some of those calls could have decided Nebraska's fate. One being the "travel" that Talley made (even though he kept dribbling the ball and didn't roll around = no travel). The timeout? I can't remember the exact situation. He certainly didn't have control and was going out of bounds. I think he dished it off to someone else right as that was happening when they called the timeout.

Here were the refs from the Tulane game:

Officials: Sean Casady, Brian Shey, Bill Cohen

If NCAA StatSheet is to be believed, last night was Bill Cohen's first game of the year. There are no records for him last year either. This was Shey's sixth game. He refs in the Southern Conference and the Atlantic Sun Conference. He ref'd 47 games last year and 55 games the year before. Casady appears to ref in the Colonial and the Big South. He looks to work the most games.

These three simply looked overmatched in my mind. But hey, we won, we overcame and we will run into well refereed and poorly refereed games every time out...

http://statsheet.com/mcb/referees