Molinari named assistant coach

Leebo article

When Miles was at North Dakota State, the Bison played Minnesota, where Molinari was an assistant for two years and interim head coach for another.

“I had a really good offensive team,’’ Miles said. “Every year, the hardest team we played against was Minnesota. They were really difficult to go against. And coach Molinari had a lot to do with that. That personal experience stuck with me.’’

Molinari’s Chicago roots and lifelong work in the Big Ten footprint are another big plus. Said Miles: “He knows guys in recruiting I’ve never heard of. That’s extremely valuable.’’

Something DePaul coaching legend Ray Meyer told Molinari about recruiting has stuck with him forever.

“Mo,’’ he told me, “you don’t win the derby with pack mules. You have to get guys who are good players, but good people, too.

“I love recruiting. It’s about relationships, and I love that part of it. I understand how important that part of it is, and I can’t wait to get started.’’

• 2 weeks later...

I just struggle with guys hiring friends. He has a great pedigree. I hope he recruits better here than where he is currently at. :)

Look at what he has to sell at Nebraska compared to what he had to sell at WIU. I would tend to think he will do just fine. You don't COY honors at 3 different conferences unless you have some skills in all areas of coaching including recruiting.

I think he will end up as #2. IMHO Coach Miles hired Coach Molinari for a couple reasons. First of all, he is a proven D1 coach who can recruit and serve as an excellent X & O guy. Secondly, Coach Molinari is looking for a place to land for the rest of his career. The downside of hiring talented young coaches is they all want to coach their own team. The benefits of hiring these talented young coaches is undeniable but the disruption that occurs when you are replacing coaches yearly burns lots of time. Coach Miles needs one guy he can depend on who will be here with him for years to come. Coach Molinari is just that guy. As a result, he will end up as #2 in the pecking order.