"No-Sit Gameday" 2014-2015 Season

This is always a tricky subject for me. I LOVE the passion and atmosphere that our great fans have created at PBA! Also I am a guy in my early 30's and don't feel like acting like a college student anymore. While I love going to the games with a crazy atmosphere, I go first and foremost because I am a diehard basketball fan and love watching basketball played at the highest level. I don't go to "be seen" or to socialize, or to yell at the refs. Its all about enjoying the product on the floor and supporting our Huskers. Heck, I'd pay to watch the teams play each other in an empty gym. (sometimes felt like that at Devaney. LOL!) If the place is rocking, I'm all about joining in, but there is nothing more annoying than "guy who stands the whole time when everyone else is sitting". Totally lack of self awareness and common courtesy.

Maybe that person that is standing thinks it is annoying when people are sitting down, instead of standing up and yelling and making PBA as intimidating as places like Duke, Michigan St, etc...

The fans being loud has an undeniable impact on the game. Why do you think "No-Sit Sunday" is the only game that Tim Miles rated an A+?

It's because that is the environment he wants opposing teams to have to play in when they come to PBA. Because it has a direct, positive impact on the outcome of the game...

This is always a tricky subject for me. I LOVE the passion and atmosphere that our great fans have created at PBA! Also I am a guy in my early 30's and don't feel like acting like a college student anymore. While I love going to the games with a crazy atmosphere, I go first and foremost because I am a diehard basketball fan and love watching basketball played at the highest level. I don't go to "be seen" or to socialize, or to yell at the refs. Its all about enjoying the product on the floor and supporting our Huskers. Heck, I'd pay to watch the teams play each other in an empty gym. (sometimes felt like that at Devaney. LOL!) If the place is rocking, I'm all about joining in, but there is nothing more annoying than "guy who stands the whole time when everyone else is sitting". Totally lack of self awareness and common courtesy.

Agree with this here. I'm all for an intimidating atmosphere. And I'm all for the No Sit declarations for 1 or 2 games a year. Big games. But beyond that and it probably loses quite a bit of luster. I mean, what is the point of standing the entire game against a Citadel-type team? We start to do that for all the 300+ RPI teams then when Wisconsin comes to town, it's the same thing, just another game and no big deal. We want a special atmosphere for those couple of games that the team really needs it. Let's not waste it on The Citadel.

I'm all for supporting the team during a big run no matter the game and still will rise during a spectacular play, just feel the No Sit the entire game should be saved for select occasions.

By the way, I think the crazy atmosphere thing will kinda take care of itself anyway. Does the Kansas, Kentucky, Michigan State, Duke, etc athletic departments have to urge their fans to stand up and be loud? We did it in year one and it should only get better.

Agree with this here. I'm all for an intimidating atmosphere. And I'm all for the No Sit declarations for 1 or 2 games a year. Big games. But beyond that and it probably loses quite a bit of luster. I mean, what is the point of standing the entire game against a Citadel-type team? We start to do that for all the 300+ RPI teams then when Wisconsin comes to town, it's the same thing, just another game and no big deal. We want a special atmosphere for those couple of games that the team really needs it. Let's not waste it on The Citadel.

I'm all for supporting the team during a big run no matter the game and still will rise during a spectacular play, just feel the No Sit the entire game should be saved for select occasions.

By the way, I think the crazy atmosphere thing will kinda take care of itself anyway. Does the Kansas, Kentucky, Michigan State, Duke, etc athletic departments have to urge their fans to stand up and be loud? We did it in year one and it should only get better.

I agree. Like I said in the original post, I think you should only do it 2 times per season, otherwise it might lose effect. I think the biggest nonconference game and 1 conference game vs a top10-top15 team at the end of the conference regular season.

And I realize that Creighton won't be a top10-top15 team next season. The only reason that I think they should do it for Creighton next season, is because it is going to be the game when Nebraska officially takes basketball back in the state of Nebraska (hopefully in very dramatic fashion). I thought it would be nice for the fans to flex their muscles as the more intimidating fanbase in that game as well.

The importance of that game is more about what it symbolizes in terms of the power shift in this state, not so much about the quality of team that Creighton is. That's all I was trying to say in the original post.

Back to the original premise of your post, Nebrasketballer, I agree with what you are suggesting. Two "No Sit" campaigns for big games would be pretty cool. I would suggest that we designate "Senior Day" going forward as an annual "No Sit" game every year to ensure we always send our seniors out with a W at PBA. As for non-conference, Creighton or whoever we may be paired with in the ACC challenge would be a good idea. I doubt it will happen in the near future, but man, imagine a "No Sit" campaign with Duke, Carolina, Syracuse, or Louisville coming to town?

Back to the original premise of your post, Nebrasketballer, I agree with what you are suggesting. Two "No Sit" campaigns for big games would be pretty cool. I would suggest that we designate "Senior Day" going forward as an annual "No Sit" game every year to ensure we always send our seniors out with a W at PBA. As for non-conference, Creighton or whoever we may be paired with in the ACC challenge would be a good idea. I doubt it will happen in the near future, but man, imagine a "No Sit" campaign with Duke, Carolina, Syracuse, or Louisville coming to town?

I like that idea of "No-Sit Senior Day"

I also really like the idea of the nonconference "No-Sit Gameday" being Nebraska's Big Ten/ACC challenge game. Especially because, when Nebraska is 4th-ish vs a 4th-ish ACC team, that will be a decent game, with potential to be on TV, maybe ESPN. Potentially great exposure for both the team and fanbase on a big stage.

I also really like the idea of the nonconference "No-Sit Gameday" being Nebraska's Big Ten/ACC challenge game. Especially because, when Nebraska is 4th-ish vs a 4th-ish ACC team, that will be a decent game, with potential to be on TV, maybe ESPN.

With Dickie V broadcasting and gushing over Miles and the program to a national audience....

Tim Miles is giving Nebraska a chance to re-write the Nebrasketball narrative. It doesn't matter that people used to call Devaney "the library". Tim Miles is leading a Nebrasketball revolution. We have a chance to re-invent this thing and create whatever Gameday culture we want. That opportunity doesn't come around all that often. Especially with the national interest that the program is gaining. Just like with recruiting, Nebraska needs to strike while the iron is hot. And not let this opportunity go to waste.

What is the point of paying for a seat if one is expected to stand for the whole game? If that is going to be the case for most games, why have seats at all? The planks at Memorial have to be the most uncomfortable seats possible but I don't see anyone suggesting that fans stand throughout the entire game.

No one is expected to stand. But if you don't, you may not be able to see. Kind of like paying for a seat but running the risk of sitting behind Dave Hoppen.

lol..I know the people behind me next season better be ready to either be standing with me or looking at my back side. I plan on standing.  If they make the comment that they paid for their seats so have a right to see the game...I will just say I paid for mine too so I have just as much a right to stand and sit when I chose.

Good luck with the ushers, and then the police, if you insist on that every game, all game, all season.

Coach Miles told you to tell the ushers you didn't have to. Problem solved.

Tim Miles is giving Nebraska a chance to re-write the Nebrasketball narrative. It doesn't matter that people used to call Devaney "the library". Tim Miles is leading a Nebrasketball revolution. We have a chance to re-invent this thing and create whatever Gameday culture we want. That opportunity doesn't come around all that often. Especially with the national interest that the program is gaining. Just like with recruiting, Nebraska needs to strike while the iron is hot. And not let this opportunity go to waste.

I have some minor suggestions to improve the Gamenday culture and re-invent this thing. Can we upgrade the music a little bit? Please no more "Space Jam", "This is How We Do It", or Gwen Stefani playing on the PA system? LOL.

Always glad to provoke a little controversy. I'm not against enthusiasm for the home team, just asking folks to use a little common sense and stand when appropriate. I used to hate our "tradition" of standing for the first basket on those rare occasions when we wouldn't be able to score for the first five minutes of the game. And since we sit in the front row in the south end zone for football games, my son who is well over 6 ft tall can cause people to stand (and bitch)  clear to the top of the stadium if he chooses to stand during the game. Almost provoked a fight one year when someone behind us sold their tickets to some fans from K-State who were obnoxious jerks anyway. And I have seen ushers ask people to not obstruct fans behind them if they are just trying to be jerks.

Totally in favor of that. Anyone 65 and over has to stand that entire game!  HAHA! J/K I know what you mean and still agree.

I have some minor suggestions to improve the Gamenday culture and re-invent this thing. Can we upgrade the music a little bit? Please no more "Space Jam", "This is How We Do It", or Gwen Stefani playing on the PA system? LOL.

Agree...but I do have to say that although when they first announced that that video by Bon Jovi was going to be played at every game I thought I'd totally hate it. HOWEVER...and this is probably the only time I'm going to say this about his music...I actually enjoyed the song. I'm glad the team didn't come out to the song...but it did add to the whole event. 

What is the point of paying for a seat if one is expected to stand for the whole game? If that is going to be the case for most games, why have seats at all? The planks at Memorial have to be the most uncomfortable seats possible but I don't see anyone suggesting that fans stand throughout the entire game.

No one is expected to stand. But if you don't, you may not be able to see. Kind of like paying for a seat but running the risk of sitting behind Dave Hoppen.

lol..I know the people behind me next season better be ready to either be standing with me or looking at my back side. I plan on standing.  If they make the comment that they paid for their seats so have a right to see the game...I will just say I paid for mine too so I have just as much a right to stand and sit when I chose.

Good luck with the ushers, and then the police, if you insist on that every game, all game, all season.

Coach Miles told you to tell the ushers you didn't have to. Problem solved.

He was talking directly to the student section, btw.