For those driving to San Antonio from the North (some information)

My brother-in-law (who lives in Central Texas) made some strong suggestions for the drive to San Antonio.

Background ... I have made the drive to San Antonio several times in the past few years. I-35 from a ways north of Dallas through to San Antonio can be a VERY busy and hectic drive. About the only respite is for a short time south of Dallas. LOTS of traffic and construction regularly otherwise. I can vouch for how stressful the drive and traffic can be, and traffic and congestion is not something that generally bothers me.

All that being said, he recommended (instead of taking I-35 past Oklahoma City) taking I-44 southwest from Oklahoma City to Wichita Falls then taking US 281 the rest of the way.

Otherwise he said we could stay on I-35W through Ft Worth and then take 174 south at Burleson to US 67 to 220 to US 281 on to San Antonio. He said at a very minimum to do this ... bypassing Waco, Austin, etc. He guaranteed me this would be quicker than staying on I-35 and I believe him given my experience in the past. He said I-35 is especially bad this time of year with the current construction and spring break traffic.

If you choose to not do either of those suggestions, MAKE SURE and take the tollway around Austin. Out of state drivers do not have to pay to take it and the speed limit is 80 mph. Last time I was on it, it was SO MUCH faster than dealing with I-35 traffic through Austin. (If you go through Austin on the way check out The Salt Lick for BBQ)

I visited some Dallas message boards and people almost unanimously were saying they take US 281 instead of I-35 when heading to San Antonio.

What will I do? Taking I-44 to Wichita Falls feels a little bit extreme to me, but I might do it. My bro-in-law is generally dead on. Otherwise I will for sure be taking the second route I outlined jumping off I-35 at Burleson. Apparently the drive through Hill Country on 281 is very pretty (for Texas). Traffic is especially bad from North of Waco through to San Antonio ... I've never had it not be bad.

Apparently there are some great places to eat and pick up pie along the 281 route as well.

Stephenville - "The Hard 8 BBQ" (only would pass through here if you took I-44 south of OKC)

Lampasas - "Firehouse BBQ"

Blanco - "Blanco Bowling Club Cafe" (great pie)

Marble Falls - "Blue Bonnet Cafe" (pie)

Hico - "Koffee Kup Family Restaurant" (pie)

People from Dallas were all talking about these places too.

Just wanted to share what I had found out in some of my research ... See everyone in San Antonio! We are driving to Wichita tomorrow night and then on to San Antonio on Thursday.

GO B1G RED!

Have gone both ways the last two times down to SA. Will go the Ft. Worth to 281 from now on.

The by pass was fun to go 90 but still would go 281. Much less traffic and a nice drive.

Going through Austin is horrible and most of the way from Waco to SA, is bumper to bumper, 70 mph and construction along the side.

I love to drive but even I was really white knuckling it in places.

I have decided to take I-44 to Wichita Falls and down on 281 ... Looking at google maps it is only 20 miles further and it estimates 30 minutes longer NOT counting any traffic on I-35.

Be sure to get some Texas BBQ while down there everyone!

Not exactly gourmet food, but I love getting Whataburger while down there too ... One of the best fast food burgers I've had!

If you come I-35 to Austin, you can bypass the city to the east on Texas 130 (toll) and take the Buda exit to get back over to I-35 on to San Marcos, New Braunfels and San Antonio.  The Grist Mill in Gruene (New Braunfels) would be a nice spot for a meal.  If you go 281, the Bluebonnet Cafe in Marble Falls is a must stop for pie.

Be aware of the Construction on I-35W north of Downtown Fort Worth.  It's possible to be held up there for a considerable amount of time and never try to go through Austin in morning or evening rush hour.

Thanks for the info.  We are leaving today around 3:30 or 4 and planning on driving about 8-10 hours before calling it a night and finishing tomorrow.  Any suggestions on a place to stop for the night?

We have stopped in Denton the last two times we have gone as a family. Holiday Inn express noting fancy, but we have had take outmfrom a Italian place ( can't remembe the name) it was very good both times and they delivered to the hotel.

Thanks for the info. We are leaving today around 3:30 or 4 and planning on driving about 8-10 hours before calling it a night and finishing tomorrow. Any suggestions on a place to stop for the night?

We are doing the same thing. We would be getting to Dallas area around 2:00-3:00am... Plan is to wake up around 7:30-8 tomorrow and drive into San Antonio to watch most of the morning games. Do you still suggest the Wichita Falls route due to heavy traffic in the morning?

Don't anyone plan on getting a hotel in OKC ... NCAA Wrestling Championships are in town so there are not many hotels. Norman has some though. Regardless of the time you're driving through, I would say the Wichita Falls route is the smart way to go. Possibly 30 minutes longer but that's with ideal traffic if you would have taken I-35 (which never happens). Just my 2 cents. But then again ... I have never actually driven the route I'm suggesting either.

Thanks for the info. We are leaving today around 3:30 or 4 and planning on driving about 8-10 hours before calling it a night and finishing tomorrow. Any suggestions on a place to stop for the night?

We are doing the same thing. We would be getting to Dallas area around 2:00-3:00am... Plan is to wake up around 7:30-8 tomorrow and drive into San Antonio to watch most of the morning games. Do you still suggest the Wichita Falls route due to heavy traffic in the morning?

If you stay in or near Dallas, take the secondary route listed above jumping off I-35 by Burleson, etc.

Not sure where to say to stop during the night. Wichita Falls might work OK?

If you choose to not do either of those suggestions, MAKE SURE and take the tollway around Austin. Out of state drivers do not have to pay to take it and the speed limit is 80 mph.

Out of state drivers really don't have to pay tolls in Texas?

If you choose to not do either of those suggestions, MAKE SURE and take the tollway around Austin. Out of state drivers do not have to pay to take it and the speed limit is 80 mph.

Apparently not (at least around Austin) ... The cameras film your license plate and they send you a bill. They don't do this for out of state according to my brother-in-law and we used the tollway around Austin last summer several times and never received a bill.

We are in Wichita for the night ... Definitely taking I-44 to Wichita Falls and down 281 tomorrow. Google just told me it was the same amount of time as I-35 given the state of traffic right now at midnight.

Apparently not (at least around Austin) ... The cameras film your license plate and they send you a bill. They don't do this for out of state according to my brother-in-law and we used the tollway around Austin last summer several times and never received a bill.

We are in Wichita for the night ... Definitely taking I-44 to Wichita Falls and down 281 tomorrow. Google just told me it was the same amount of time as I-35 given the state of traffic right now at midnight.

Just got in to Ardmore, OK... Most everything above talks about avoiding Austin, Waco, etc... Is Fort Worth a bad drive? If not then we can use 35 through Fort Worth then jump over to 281. Looking at ways to avoid Fort Worth if everyone recommends it.

We took I-44 southwest from OKC to Wichita Falls and down 281 today and found it to be worth it. 281 is 2 (one each direction) lanes at times, 3 (2 with a passing lane) or 4 lanes at other times. There are some stops through towns on the way but our overall trip was 14 hours running 4 mph over the speed limit. There are some tolls on I-44 (about $5-6 total?). The speed limit even on 2 lane stretches of 281 was quite often 75 mph. There was plenty of traffic but not a ton. A little more leisurely than I-35, especially between Waco and San Antonio which can be especially stressful. The hill country just north of San Antonio on 281 was pretty.

Again ... If you DO go back on I-35 for sure take the toll loop (130?) around Austin. Speed limit is 85 mph and traffic is practically non-existent. It's also free for out of staters apparently. While a bit longer an argument can be made for taking I-35E through Dallas versus I-35W through Ft Worth. MANY less lanes on I-35 through Ft Worth, so times of more traffic Ft Worth may be worse despite being shorter.

See you guys tomorrow and safe travels home! Very impressed with the number of fans on the riverwalk and at the get together.