Coaching Changes

HB

• 2 weeks later...

and the Tim Miles coaching tree looks even stronger.  Saul Phillips was 3 year assistant at NDSU with Tim Miles - prior to that director of operations at Wisconsin... he took over that team after Miles left for CSU and led them to the NCAA tournament his second year - a few middle of the road years after that, then a couple strong years the last two years.   Ohio job has been stepping stone for higher positions with Groce to Illinois and Christian to Boston College. 

Isn't he due for a head job by now?  And isn't going to BC a bit of a step down? 

He's from the New England area and went to school at Boston U.

But he's going as an assistant.  Leaving an assistant gig at Maryland for an assistant gig at BC doesn't sound like much of a career move.  He's certainly not been given a head job.  There were people around here who thought he'd be a good hire to replace Sadler.  Looks like the college basketball community wouldn't share that esteem.  Just one more reason I'm glad fans aren't in charge of making hiring and firing decisions.

Leaving an assistant gig at Maryland for an assistant gig at BC doesn't sound like much of a career move.  

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/terrapins-insider/wp/2014/04/12/former-terps-assistant-scott-spinelli-hired-at-boston-college/

He getting paid more to live in his home area where he does an awesome job of recruiting.

Him not moving somewhere for a head coaching gig doesn't mean he wouldn't have done a good job here.

I have no idea about his Xs and Os, his admin capabilities, or his overall aspirations.  I do know that he knows what type of player is needed for top level basketball and that he is capable of recruiting them.