Scouting Baylor

Kind of your typical board. Some know what is going on. Others just want to call names.

And one wants to crush us because we broke up the Big 12. Didn't Colorado leave about the same time and Missouri wanted to leave even before we did?

kkk68.jpg

Kenny Chery is the difference between Baylor being a NCAA team and a NIT team.

He constantly leads fast breaks and finds the Baylor bigs.  Maybe Deandre Mathieu is a good comparison...not sure if someone has a better comparison for competition we've faced.

Oh boy. All that and you haven't talked about their first round NBA pick yet

Isiah Austin. 7-1 shot blocker.

Honestly he would be the guy you want shooting the ball most often..he's good but he's not the best on the team and doesn't have a ton of confidence in his 3pt shot this year.

He's going to be a load in the lane but Petteway and Shields can find their way around his arms.  Guys like Rivers and Leslie Smith might not want to shoot down there.

ncb_u_isaiahaustin_cmg_400.jpg

Honestly he would be the guy you want shooting the ball most often..he's good but he's not the best on the team and doesn't have a ton of confidence in his 3pt shot this year.

He's going to be a load in the lane but Petteway and Shields can find their way around his arms. Guys like Rivers and Leslie Smith might not want to shoot down there.

His arms seem to go on for days...

Spent some time checking out a few BU games on YouTube - someone with more basketball IQ - which shouldn't be too tough ;) - can correct me if I'm wrong on these observations:

Defense

• Their zone has a 1-3-1 look to it initially, but they don't really follow a lot of 1-3-1 principles, instead it seems to have a lot of matchup principles. They will put single pressure on the ball on the perimeter, even well beyond the 3-pt line, but it doesn't seem as though they're interested in forcing turnovers off that pressure. They almost never double team out on the perimeter.
  • Instead, they almost seem to want to speed teams up with the on ball pressure, and then force turnovers off a player who is out of control after speeding up, whether throwing a wild pass after penetrating the zone or dribbling into a double team on the interior. NU will need to show some discipline & patience vs that zone. Don't let BU draw you in and speed you up. Use pass fakes and shot fakes.
  • There are holes in the zone, and you can create driving lanes by moving the ball around, and they give you the holes when they extend the on-ball pressure beyond the 3-pt line. Often times the spot at the FT line is open, so whomever NU decides to place up there - Shields, Rivers, maybe Pitchford - needs to pass well and/or hit that 15-foot jumper, which will open additional driving lanes.
  • Rarely if ever press full court, but they may put a package like that in after watching our B1G Tourney film.
  • You can get open looks from 3 against the zone, but the ball really needs to go inside first and then out to the 3-pt line, otherwise they're much more likely to contest it. We seem to shoot a better percentage from 3 when we do this anyway.
  • Their interior players are really good shot blockers, but they will give in to ball fakes. We've done a better job of that over the last several weeks. Driving and shooting off one foot will likely yield a blocked shot; driving and shooting off a jump stop with two feet with the occasional ball fake will increase the chances or scoring and/or drawing a foul. Petteway may be able to get over their shot blockers off one foot, but probably no one else.
  • BU is a good rebounding team, but as with any team that plays a lot of zone, offensive rebounds will be there. It's just a matter of how many guys you want to commit to the offensive glass versus trying to stop their transition game - risk/reward type of thing. We've been pretty committed to stopping transition and worrying less about offensive rebounding lately, so I'd expect that to continue.

Offense

• They really don't run much of anything other than screen and roll. It appears the only player for whom BU will run set plays is the 3-pt shooter Heslip.
  • I didn't see anyone try zone against them, although I'd imagine they don't change much against a zone.
  • The point guard Chery is really tough. Good driver. When teams try to pressure him on the perimeter, he will call for screens 35 feet from the basket and drive. He likes to shoot jumpers off the drive and likes to go right a lot. Also passes pretty well off the drive, although he will commit turnovers in bunches at times. Reminds me some of the kid from UMass or Mathieu from Minnesota. Really needs to have the ball in his hands a lot. I can see why they struggled a bit when he was injured.
  • Heslip is deadly from 3. Have to find him in transition, as they'll look for him from 3 as often as they'll drive for a layup when in transition. I think you can take him out of the game in the half court, but if he hits 3 or 4 threes in transition, it won't matter. He'll shoot it well beyond the 3-pt line if you leave him.
  • Their interior guys are solid offensively, don't seem to be great post-up players, but they'll score off passes from Chery. They also do pretty well driving from the FT line area. 
  • They really crash the offensive glass, so I think this is an area where BU is vulnerable. You can beat the big guys back down the floor if you rebound well, giving you scoring chances in transition without the fear of a blocked shot. They also will give up 3s in transition, so finding Gallegos may be key here. Texas especially did a nice job beating them down the floor to get open 3s before they could get their zone set up, even after made baskets.

They look like the really good Big XII teams we all remember - crazy athletic, but prone to stretches where they can't score. They're a really solid team and will be a tough out, but I think if we can turn them into jump shooters - other than Heslip - and then rebound we have a good shot. And when Chery turns it over or when they take a bad shot and we rebound it, make them pay in transition. Getting easy baskets off our defense will be very important. We've done a great job of those things lately, so we really have to just keep doing what we've been doing defensively the last several weeks. I think our base defense will be good enough to get the job done, although I'd imagine we'll mix in a little zone, especially if we have foul trouble, as we've been doing.

On our end, we have to keep the emotions in check offensively, because BU will feed off our mistakes if we're undisciplined offensively. BU will block some shots, so we can't get frustrated with that and stop "loving the rim." Petteway has to stay on the floor and avoid foul problems. And Shields may be the ultimate key - if he's the guy we use at the high post, his ability to hit that 15 to 17 foot jump shot, drive and score from the FT line, or drive and find shooters on the perimeter may determine how successful our half court offense is.

Rivers on Jefferson, Walt on Austin, Shavon on O'Neal, Petteway on Heslip and Tai/Benny on Cherry would be how I would match up with the Bears.  

This is kind of what I was thinking as well. Petteway on Heslip would definitely keep him out of foul trouble, but he has to have the discipline to find him in transition.

Will be interesting to see how much we switch - since they don't really post up a lot, it's possible we switch most screens, other than off Chery. I'd think we want Webster/Parker on him at all times, maybe Gallegos a bit. May try throwing a lot of guys at him to wear him down. Hedging on Chery could be tough, as he isn't shy about finding the screener when he's doubled, although he will turn it over some. We did a nice job combating Mathieu this way with the hedge and forcing turnovers, but Chery is little bigger than Mathieu.

If we switch a lot, we need good discipline on the glass, have make sure we always have a body on those BU interior players.

Smith is going to have to move his feet very well to deal with the screen and roll game and the athleticism of their interior players. If he struggles I could see us using some zone when Smith is in the game. 

The other thing about putting Petteway on Heslip is we need Petteway to rebound. So he's going to have to leave the 3-pt line to hit the glass as soon as a shot goes up. Petteway likely would basically be a free man to rebound as I don't think Heslip rebounds much. However if BU gets the offensive rebound, they'll be looking for Heslip hanging around the 3-pt line. So that's another consideration. We'd have to have one of the other guards rotate over to keep an eye on Heslip when Petteway is crashing the glass. 

We've done such a good job on the defensive glass the last several weeks, but we need to keep it rolling Friday, as BU can hurt us badly in that area if we let them.

He's going to be a load in the lane but Petteway and Shields can find their way around his arms.  Guys like Rivers and Leslie Smith might not want to shoot down there.

Is this person Brittney Griner's twin brother/sister?

The thing about TP guarding Heslip is that Baylor runs him around quite a bit and sets multiple screens for him on offense. Whoever guards Heslip will exert a ton of energy on D. May need TP to have all the energy he can get for offense. Who guards him then? I think Benny and Ray will pick him up the majority of the time.