B1G to consider another round of expansion?

49r

I've begun to wonder if maybe Delaney is just playing the slow play to get Notre Dame. Suppose the sec goes for 26. Big ten can then choose who it wants from the unstable acc. Half of the big 12 goes westward, half join with the remaining decent acc and big east teams, so we have big ten, PAC 12, sec and some hybrid super monster of the rest.

As much as it is kind of sickening to see sports so landscaped by money, it assure is fun trying to guess what is going to happen.

I've begun to wonder if maybe Delaney is just playing the slow play to get Notre Dame. Suppose the sec goes for 26. Big ten can then choose who it wants from the unstable acc. Half of the big 12 goes westward, half join with the remaining decent acc and big east teams, so we have big ten, PAC 12, sec and some hybrid super monster of the rest.

As much as it is kind of sickening to see sports so landscaped by money, it assure is fun trying to guess what is going to happen.

I can tell you what happens. The commissioner's retirement package gets better and better ;)

I think too many people are worried about how good each program is at football, basketball, etc.

That is not what is important...Branding and potential are much more important.

Anyone that tosses K State as a possible expansion target does not get it....Kansas could be a target for the Big Ten, but never Kansas State.

Also, Rutgers will spur more interest in College football in the New York area because they will start playing better teams...Rutgers vs Ohio State will start having a buzz around NYC...will it ever be as big as Nebraska, not in proportional numbers, but in Raw numbers it will become much bigger.

If I was up and coming Football coach, the Rutgers job, just became a very interesting job...Great recruiting areas, and now you are going to have guranteed games against Ohio State, Penn State, Wisconsin and occasional games against Nebraska, Michigan and Michigan State....

One of the reasons Rutgers has never captured the imagination of NYC...is that they play Uconn, South Florida, Louisville....In 10 years, I see Rutgers becoming the thorn in Ohio State's side for the Leaders Division title year in and year out.

FWIW, UNL does have a club lacrosse team already. It doesn't seem like it would be too difficult to start a varsity team. Just add womens field hockey if you need to comply with Title IX.

Or even women's lacrosse.

I would be surprised if men's women's lacrosse aren't the next sports the B1G sponsors championships in. It's a very quickly growing sport.

I read about it in the OWH this morning. Shocked me as well. I would think they would make something work but you never know.

On the opposite end of the spectrum, last week Barfy asked about them playing twice.

Who are these people who want to play a non-conference opponent twice on either side?!?!?

I'm all for us playing Creighton and UNO on a yearly basis.

It's a bonus having local D-1 opponents within a short driving distance.

Shatel's article this morning.

Thanks!

I don't see Creighton agreeing to only play in Lincoln. The fear would be years like this one where Nebraska will actually hurt Creighton's RPI, even with a win. If Creighton is going to accept pure "buy games", which they have been reluctant to do in the past, I think they would look at the likes of a Kansas or Missouri first.

I also am of the opinion that playing in Omaha actually helps Nebraska's exposure here in Omaha.

Where this game is valuable is in the terms of garnering local interest and getting local exposure to basketball in an area that is primarily consumed with football talk. When the two teams play, it is the main topic of radio shows, etc. When it comes to attendance, I would suspect that when Creighton plays Nebraska in Lincoln, it is one of the most highly attended games of the year (and that is with a slight premium on prices as that game is usually priced higher than most of the other home games). The matches are good for basketball in the state.

I do not see any reason to play each other twice in the same year though. That seems a little silly.

I also am of the opinion that playing in Omaha actually helps Nebraska's exposure here in Omaha.

How? The two cities are 45 miles apart, not 1500. Nebraska gets coverage in the OWH and all Omaha stations regardless if they play at the Clink. What high school player in the Metro would ever say "I'd love to be a Husker, but since they won't come to Omaha once every two years, I think I'll pass." Or, what potential fan in Omaha would say, "I'd love to go watch the Huskers. If it only wasn't such a long drive to see them. Why don't they play here once every other year?"

Or, what potential fan in Omaha would say, "I'd love to go watch the Huskers. If it only wasn't such a long drive to see them. Why don't they play here once every other year?"

There are quite a few people who would go to watch the Huskers in Omaha but do not want to take the time or spend the money to go to Lincoln. I know that they are referred to as "casual fans". But thesse casual fans could become "true" fans with some exposure. Look at the number of people that show up for the baseball games in Omaha.

Look at the number of people that show up for the baseball games in Omaha.

Look at the success of the baseball program and the basketball program since DVH came to Nebraska. Baseball, for the most part, has been really good. Basketball, not so much. People follow winners. Nebraska basketball playing in Omaha once every two years does very little if anything to promote Husker basketball in the Metro. It does, however, let Creighton host a BCS team once every two years.

Look at the success of the baseball program and the basketball program since DVH came to Nebraska. Baseball, for the most part, has been really good. Basketball, not so much. People follow winners. Nebraska basketball playing in Omaha once every two years does very little if anything to promote Husker basketball in the Metro. It does, however, let Creighton host a BCS team once every two years.

It's been awhile since the baseball team has been really good and most Valley teams are better than that BCS school.

It's been awhile since the baseball team has been really good and most Valley teams are better than that BCS school.

Yeah, and if you've noticed, attendence has been down at baseball games the last few years. I said nothing about talent of "that BCS school". I don't see Creighton hosting many BCS schools period. Other than Nebraska, who comes into the Clink?

Yeah, and if you've noticed, attendence has been down at baseball games the last few years. I said nothing about talent of "that BCS school". I don't see Creighton hosting many BCS schools period. Other than Nebraska, who comes into the Clink?

Northwestern was there last year.

Cal comes in next year.

You are right that it isn't frequent, but Nebraska coming in has done very little to help Creighton's RPI when they do come to Omaha. Recently, they haven't even been a quality win. BCS does not automatically equal good. I am sure most Creighton fans would prefer good teams.

As to the exposure issue, it certainly can't hurt Nebraska to come into Omaha. There was talk at one point in time that Nebraska was going to try to schedule a game in Omaha periodically. That went away with Steve Peterson, but there must have been value in it never would have been proposed.