B1G to consider another round of expansion?

49r

They will now that Maryland is gone....UConn wanted in but the ACC was staying at 14 teams. I see Big 12 now going after Louisville and Cincy out of Big East and probably Florida State and Clemson from ACC.

It's going to get squirrely here again real quick I'm afraid.

The PAC is probably going to be desperate to move now (as their options are very limited and need to avoid being shut out entirely), which could mean four Texas schools moving out west - or two Texas schools and the Oklahoma schools - or Texas, Oklahoma, Kansas State and cherry pick the most appealing remaining Big 12 member.

The Big 12 will be in a desperate position with needing to keep together, they have the most options though from BYU and Boise to 'Ville and Cinci to Florida State and Clemson and any number of other MWC, WAC, CUSA teams.

Big East as we know it is going to be lost forever, and the ACC is in a pretty fragile spot, as well. Lots of speculation out there that the B1G picking up UMD is a play to compromise the ACC to the point they'll be able to get North Carolina into the fold (and hopefully Notre Dame, too)

NCAA just needs to tear down conferences and start from scratch again. We need to go back to regional conferences that make sense. I cannot believe we could be in the same conference as Rutgers.

I think in the longer term this will happen. Non-revenue sports are going to clobber ADs with lower budgets with this kind of insane travel. But I also think universities' days of being "revenue maximizers" to make up for stingy and shortsighted legislatures (at least on hte public end) are also about numbered.

In environmental terms, this kind of model is unsustainable for too many schools.

If this thing would go to 16 teams which I think it would.

1. Who would be 2 teams you would add and why.

I think that maybe adding teams like Kansas State, maybe Notre Dame if they would come, otherwise maybe look as far south as Oklahome and OK State if the Big 12 would break again. Possibly West Virgina. There is soo many options.

This thing is going to go to 16, no doubt about it. We'll probably end up in a "pod" with Iowa, Minnesota, and Wisconsin. For football, anyway.

For now, Illinois will be moved to our division from what I hear. But you are correct, this is the first move toward's a "super conference." Others will follow suit. Big 10 will probably go after UVA, Ga Tech, or UNC next. UNC would be tougher to get due to their affinity with NC ST and Duke. Notre Dame may not be affiliated with the ACC for long when the conferece crumbles....because the SEC will come calling for FSU and Clemson. Big 12 will follow suit.

Some random thoughts:

Looks like Maryland hoops might be turning it around. Only loss at Kentucky by three.

Kind of strange to add two teams where there athletic departments are in shambles.

Does the conference eventually move to four divisions like the NFC & AFC?

The next two teams?

Kansas - Basketball matchups would be outstanding.

Vanderbilt - Great private school. Would fit with Northwestern. And their basketball team would be a nice addition.

Could be interesting down the road if the playoffs get expanded to say 16. Do we see schools trying to get to FBS football? It would be much like schools just hoping to get to March Madness. Or do only super conferences survive? Do we see half of basketball schools form a lower division? Those ones that are barely in like the Summit League, America East, Atlantic Sun, Big Sky, Big South, etc.

Now maybe Nebraska adds men's soccer. Maybe eventually ice hockey? Women's field hockey?

If this thing would go to 16 teams which I think it would.

1. Who would be 2 teams you would add and why.

I think that maybe adding teams like Kansas State, maybe Notre Dame if they would come, otherwise maybe look as far south as Oklahome and OK State if the Big 12 would break again. Possibly West Virgina. There is soo many options.

The Big 10 will always want Notre Dame. The funny thing about them is they're not in the AAU.

West Virginia makes sense geographically, just not academically or TV wise. I think schools like Viriginia, Syracuse, and Missouri make the most sense in terms of where the Big 10 is trying to go. I know people look at North Carolina and Georgia Tech but I'm not sure the Big 10 makes that kind of move.

Fear the Turtle...the Terps will bring more Basketball cachet to the B1G. Rutgers could be a sleeping giant. When NU, Michigan and Ohio State visit College Park and East Brunswick their will be interest in Football on those weekends. Can't blame Maryland for wanting to get away from a conference dominated by the Carolina schools...seems like all ACC tournaments were in Greensboro.

The next two teams?

Vanderbilt - Great private school. Would fit with Northwestern. And their basketball team would be a nice addition.

Kansas makes a lot of sense though not necessarily a lot of TV $$

Vanderbilt would be a good get but considering their location I'm not sure it would happen.

well according to some rumors i have heard, watch out for georgia tech...the way i see it, once someone goes to 16, (preferably the SEC for the big ten's sake) everyone else will have to find 16 somewhere so we actually will only have 3 or 4 conferences in america. once that happens, norte dame will have no choice but to come along which is what they've wanted forever and then you add someone like kansas since you would already have notre dame, you then have the ability to add one of the top 3 college hoops programs of all time for free essentially since football brings home the money

Looks like it is official:

http://espn.go.com/c...on-join-big-ten

Anyone else feel like this was the most underwhelming conference expansion experience yet? It just kind of happened really quickly. Rumors only broke on saturday, two days before Maryland voted on it. Are we just getting used to the expansion process? Or is Delaney getting good at hiding his intentions?

There were talks about Maryland in the first go-around when Nebraska was on the table. At the time, they decided just to add one because Notre Dame wasn't budging.

The next two teams?

Kansas would be nice, but they really don't bring anything (viewers) to BTN

I don't know why a team from the SEC would leave that conference.