Vucetic

aphilso1

Is he going to redshirt? Can he still redshirt?

Correct me if I am wrong, but I believe once you enter a collegiate game, even in mop up duty, you have "burned your redshirt." I think the only way he could still get a redshirt is if there was a season ending injury or illness. I think it has to happen in the first half of the season and you can't have played more than 15-20% of your team's games. I think I remember reading about this when Toney McCray was injured.

Voluntary Redshirt Seasons

Basketball players must plan their redshirt season in advance, because once they enter any intercollegiate game for even a single play, they are not eligible to be a redshirt that year. Players are eligible for a voluntary redshirt season only if they do not play in any portion of any game in that season.

No reason we couldn't get a doctor to sign a form that says he has a season ending injury.

only problem is they'd need the surgery results as well and thats not something you can make up. Also it has to be an injury that would then require him to literally rehab for the remainder of the year. Should his "injury" and surgery get him back before the season for recommendations the NCAA would decline it.

only problem is they'd need the surgery results as well and thats not something you can make up. Also it has to be an injury that would then require him to literally rehab for the remainder of the year. Should his "injury" and surgery get him back before the season for recommendations the NCAA would decline it.

I think we can arrange something...

godfather2.jpg

It's not like the football team hasn't done this. ;)

I think Vucetic could probably benefit from a redshirt but one has to wonder if the coaches aren't thinking a redshirt would be more useful to him during a transfer season. Otherwise, it makes no sense to play him for one minute and then basically not play him otherwise. He doesn't provide any useful, necessary depth that we couldn't cover with other players. Therefore, the fact he didn't redshirt -- and then hasn't played -- suggests the coaches don't want that spot tied up for 5 years.

I think Vucetic could probably benefit from a redshirt but one has to wonder if the coaches aren't thinking a redshirt would be more useful to him during a transfer season. Otherwise, it makes no sense to play him for one minute and then basically not play him otherwise. He doesn't provide any useful, necessary depth that we couldn't cover with other players. Therefore, the fact he didn't redshirt -- and then hasn't played -- suggests the coaches don't want that spot tied up for 5 years.

Everyone is pretty inpatient. The fact that he only played a minute might have made sense in THAT game. We've played 3 games, in which we had a chance to win. That isn't going to be the case often this year. One of those games (UNO) we played a team that had no decent bigs, so we weren't fighting size. We can get him some experience down the line. We don't need to worry about that early. With only so many chances to actually win a game, I would hate to lose one making sure we get more minutes for a guy who doesn't look very ready yet. But proclaiming the non-redshirt decision a good or bad move after 3 games is a bit early. We will need more size in conference. We may need to put a body out there. There will be many a blowout in which we can get the guy some minutes.

Not redshirting Mikey Moore--now, THAT was a mistake. And that's with the benefit of hindsight. But the circumstances were totallly different, and I don't know that Serg will ever turn into a Mikey.

Give it time. I suspect the coaches are in a better position to make a good decision than us.

I think Vucetic could probably benefit from a redshirt but one has to wonder if the coaches aren't thinking a redshirt would be more useful to him during a transfer season. Otherwise, it makes no sense to play him for one minute and then basically not play him otherwise.

You very well might be right about it being a good idea to redshirt Vucetic in the first place. Your theory on them giving up on him after two weeks is insane.

There is a reason he's only played 2 minutes. Miles provided it in the Journal-Star today.

Miles said freshman center Sergej Vucetic, who’s logged only one minute through three games, is healthy, but behind physically. “He’s a little bit overwhelmed, frustrated,” Miles said. “He wants to play. His only issue is his physicality. That’s his only issue.”

When you have Peltz, Parker, Gallegos, there is absolutely no reason Trevor Menke should be averaging 11.5 minutes per game. Almeida is only averaging 18.5 minutes per game (foul trouble playing a major role), however Vucetic averaging 1 minute per game is puzzling. Obviously we couldn't afford to redshirt him, however if he needs to develop as a player, get stronger, sitting on the bench won't get the job done. This is why I think it's medical

Does anyone else think Menke and Peltz should switch roles? I can't stand watching Peltz run point. He's never a threat to shoot and has a lot of mental mistakes especially on the defensive end. I thought Menke had some great minutes vs UNO. I'd much rather have Menke backing up Benny.

Does anyone else think Menke and Peltz should switch roles? I can't stand watching Peltz run point. He's never a threat to shoot and has a lot of mental mistakes especially on the defensive end. I thought Menke had some great minutes vs UNO. I'd much rather have Menke backing up Benny.

And Menke IS a threat to shoot?

If anyone knows the old joke "Death or Bonga Bonga", this query sort of reminds me of that.

You very well might be right about it being a good idea to redshirt Vucetic in the first place. Your theory on them giving up on him after two weeks is insane.

There is a reason he's only played 2 minutes. Miles provided it in the Journal-Star today.

Although I still don't know what the phrase "an issue with his physicality" actually means, and Miles doesn't make it clear. He's healthy, but....Honestly, I think that blurb raised more questions than it answered.

Although I still don't know what the phrase "an issue with his physicality" actually means, and Miles doesn't make it clear. He's healthy, but....Honestly, I think that blurb raised more questions than it answered.
It sounded like he was saying Vucetic is having trouble adapting to the rougher style of basketball that is in the NCAA compared to Euro ball.

It sounded like he was saying Vucetic is having trouble adapting to the rougher style of basketball that is in the NCAA compared to Euro ball.

I agree that's probably true. Hopefully they'll toss him into the game when it's not crucial so he can start getting used to playing with contact, assuming that this is the issue. Can't see how sitting him on the bench would cure this particular problem, tho. Most overseas players have this difficulty, and most play through it.