Vucetic

aphilso1

When you have Peltz, Parker, Gallegos, there is absolutely no reason Trevor Menke should be averaging 11.5 minutes per game. Almeida is only averaging 18.5 minutes per game (foul trouble playing a major role), however Vucetic averaging 1 minute per game is puzzling. Obviously we couldn't afford to redshirt him, however if he needs to develop as a player, get stronger, sitting on the bench won't get the job done. This is why I think it's medical

Let's just all take a step back right now. He's two games into his freshman season. I think he'll end up playing more minutes as the season grows. He's clearly not ready now, but that doesn't mean he won't be ready 15 games from now. Patience. There's no way he won't see playing time this year. We're gonna accumulate a lot of fouls in the front court this season, particularly in Big Ten play. Ubel and Almeida can barely stay on the court against middling talent.

Replace "Vucetic" with "Jorge Brian Diaz" and things are starting to sound very familiar from years past. He seemed to turn out alright.

With all due respect, Sergey's skills and Jorge's are not in the same galaxy.

As for the decision not to redshirt him, it's easy to be a critic on the sidelines, but Miles has to to find enough bodies to even get a team on the floor this year. Sergey's a bigtime project, but he's bigger and thicker than Kye, and obviously if Kye was as good MIles plays him and redshirts Sergey. MIles is at practice every day and probably knows what the deal is. He also may have a feel as to whether redshirting him is a good long term thing for either player or team. Hope it works for the Sergster, but red shirts don't guarantee someone will be a contributor down the road.

When you have Peltz, Parker, Gallegos, there is absolutely no reason Trevor Menke should be averaging 11.5 minutes per game. Almeida is only averaging 18.5 minutes per game (foul trouble playing a major role), however Vucetic averaging 1 minute per game is puzzling. Obviously we couldn't afford to redshirt him, however if he needs to develop as a player, get stronger, sitting on the bench won't get the job done. This is why I think it's medical

I understand what you are saying.....but no way in H E (double hockey stick) can all these guys play too many minutes without Menke and others filling in for them. Not sure if you have noticed, but they play about 30+ games this year and we have 7 guys on scholarship playing right now with Shields hurt. If you put them through too much early, they will be dead come conference time. Once Shields comes back his minutes will drop, but at this point what other choice does Miles have? You got to think a little before you post my friend.

Almeida is one rolled ankle, or burrito, from missing a lot of games. We only have Ubel at that point for height thats truly worth a darn. Vucetic will get his minutes and improve. Also by the time he is a senior in 2016-2017 I truly hope we've gotten to the point in the Miles era where we upgrade to a better player to take Vucetic's spot assuming he is still even with the team at that point.

Almeida is one rolled ankle, or burrito, from missing a lot of games. We only have Ubel at that point for height thats truly worth a darn. Vucetic will get his minutes and improve. Also by the time he is a senior in 2016-2017 I truly hope we've gotten to the point in the Miles era where we upgrade to a better player to take Vucetic's spot assuming he is still even with the team at that point.

I think this is right on point in both counts. Vucetic is a LONG way from being a Big 10 quality player - but we pretty much have to use him a little bit this year for two reasons - we need to have someone fill in a few minutes, particularly in the inevitable games when Ubel and Almeida are in foul trouble. Probably even more true next year when Pitchford appears to be our only big and ANY minutes he gets this year will maybe help him be a little more effective next year. That said - seeing him for 5 minutes in the exhibition game was enough to realize he is very likely not a long term answer. He can play this year and next year only because we have no depth inside. If this program is going to get back to a decent level - we need to find better options for the future so I have no concern about having this guy for a 5th year.

FWIW the comparison between Vucetic and Diaz is ridiculous. The skill level of those two at their arrival at NU is not even in the same universe.

Idk about that I think Kye is thicker and stronger than Vucetic. Not as many skills but bigger. Diaz was light years ahead of Vucetic as a freshman, he just never progreesed which Im hoping Vucetic will. Also not saying Vucetic will be a bad player in the future, just wont help us this year, thus why i think we should have redshirted him. But who knows there might be reasons we have no clue of as to why we didnt

HuskerBB i agree with most of your post but what makes you think we will actually get all these big time players? Its one thing to get them to visit another to actually sign them. I think here at Nebraska we will have to develop more talent tham we sign. This is why i think vucetiic should redshirt.

Idk y people think we will be an Ncaa tourny team in year 3. Its going to be a process

HuskerBB i agree with most of your post but what makes you think we will actually get all these big time players? Its one thing to get them to visit another to actually sign them. I think here at Nebraska we will have to develop more talent tham we sign. This is why i think vucetiic should redshirt.

Idk y people think we will be an Ncaa tourny team in year 3. Its going to be a process

I don't know what is going to happen for sure and I agree that in general we need to focus on developing the players we can get. That said, and I hope I am wrong but I don't see Vucetic developing into a player that we will worry about having for a 5th year. In my view if we are not able to get players who are at least closer to being ready - or show more signs of potential we are going to be starting over again in another 5 years. But in my view all signs are that Miles will be able to make a difference here and move us forward.

Is he going to redshirt? Can he still redshirt?

Against Southern he played 1 minute, had 1 rebound and 1 foul.

Against Valpo he played less than 1 minute, no stats

Vucetic did not see the floor tonight.

I understand he is undersized and has a lot of conditioning to do. If he is not going to redshirt, why not get him some minutes. Someone has to spell Almeida. Ubel slides down, but he is out of position. Just think getting at leat 5-10 minutes a game would be beneficial on all ends.

"Omaha" is looked like the most athletic team we have faced so far this season. Surprisingly Almeida has his best game. 3/22 on 3's made this game a lot closer than it should have been. We out rebounded them by 11.