Rosenthal rant on Husker fans leaving early

hhcmatt

http://journalstar.com/sports/huskers/mens-basketball/hoops-follow-up-gutty-win-walk-ons-and-a-fan/article_553cd198-3004-11e2-8344-0019bb2963f4.html

A quote from this

If you’re going to show up, why not stick around until the end – when, of course, it’s a close game, and when this team needs support the most? Other than maybe having a 4-year-old that needs bedtime, I’ve yet to hear a reasonable excuse. And the people I saw leaving Thursday night haven’t had a 4-year-old in about 30 years

I suppose it's a little tough to dog on the fans that are actually showing up compared to those empty seats, but where are you trying to go at the end of this game? How do you leave a game that goes down the the last second?

I don't understand the rant. At least those people showed up to the game. Obviously no lead is going to be safe with this team, but I believe NU was up around 14 at one time. NU was winning the entire game. I don't think you can get mad at people for leaving when there are over 5,000 empty seats from people who never showed up in the first place.

Here is the whole part about the fans:

-- Finally, you may have seen my Twitter rant on fans leaving a single-digit game with five minutes to play. I know it’s nothing new here, and I know it’s not just with basketball, or just at Nebraska.

It’s still perplexing, though. I can better understand that only 6,324 fans/spectators showed up, given the current state of affairs, than understand why only 5,000 of them, maybe, were around for the end.

If you’re going to show up, why not stick around until the end – when, of course, it’s a close game, and when this team needs support the most? Other than maybe having a 4-year-old that needs bedtime, I’ve yet to hear a reasonable excuse. And the people I saw leaving Thursday night haven’t had a 4-year-old in about 30 years.

Fans can question Nebraska’s commitment to basketball all they want, but there’s not much room to talk when they’re not committing, either.

Want to prove commitment? Show up to the Dec. 3 game against USC, when Nebraska will have a highly-coveted 4-star guard on campus who’s committed, but not yet signed.

Or maybe Tai Webster can witness 2,000 spectators of a crowd of 6,000 leave in the final minutes of a two-possession game.

What an impression that would make!

And then I’ll get to hear how Nebraska can never land a four-star player.

End of rant.

I do side with him on this. As we win more will start to come back to the games, always have, always will.

But to leave early, If you does not have a conflict, is; in my opinion, disrespectful of the players. Just my $.02 worth.

Leaving a game early is dumb. I will never get it. Why expend the energy to go to a game if you don't care to see the outcome? That's the whole point for me. I go to see if we win or lose and to witness how that happens. Some people apparently only care about the first 30-35 minutes. If you only want to see bits and pieces, stay home. Sit on your couch so you can walk in and out of the room as you please. Piss when you want to and walk back and forth to the fridge. Don't even have to see a car that way, zero traffic. Traffic is the lamest excuse ever for leaving early. You know there's gonna be traffic well ahead of time, way before you decide whether to go to the game or not. That's part of attending an athletic event. It comes with it. Plan on sitting in traffic because it will happen. Build this time into the alloted time you are sectioning off to attend the game. Piss poor reason to leave early. So dumb. The traffic isn't even that bad give recent attendance numbers. I was on the road within 12 seconds of getting to my car last night. People are idiots. Is this just a Nebraska thing or are there other dumb people attending athletic events other places around the country? I swear some Nebraska fans are pathetic and lazy. The entire row in front of me (8 people) cleared out at the 9 minute mark last night. Sorry for the long rant.

I guess I don't understand getting so upset over someone who wants to go home when he wants to go home.

Have none of you ever left before something was over? I've left movies before they were over. I've left parties before they were over. I've left concerts before they were over. I've left football and basketball games before they were over. Why? Either I had somewhere else to be or I had spent all the energy I was going to on said event. For something as simple as attending a sporting event, I guess I don't see the need for questioning people's motives.

I guess that makes me an idiot.

I guess I don't understand getting so upset over someone who wants to go home when he wants to go home.

Have none of you ever left before something was over? I've left movies before they were over. I've left parties before they were over. I've left concerts before they were over. I've left football and basketball games before they were over. Why? Either I had somewhere else to be or I had spent all the energy I was going to on said event. For something as simple as attending a sporting event, I guess I don't see the need for questioning people's motives.

I guess that makes me an idiot.

Well I guess if you're just sick of it and want to leave that's one thing. I just doubt that has ever happened to you when the game was still in question. Having another commitment to be at is different too. I guess I'm more speaking about the fans who are sitting there watching the game and then all of a sudden say to whoever they came with, "welp, we better get going. Past my bedtime and gotta beat the traffic."

I expressed this same basic sentiment a year ago and got ripped for it. Among other comments, I was told, "As soon as they put a product on the floor worth watching, we'll stay until the end of the game to watch it."

I even found an article on a study that performed a chicken-versus-egg analysis and concluded that passion of the fanbase begets success on the floor moreso than success on the floor begets passion in the fan base. In other words, the first thing is that you need to create a winning environment and the winning will follow.

And so I got ripped for being a "Doc apologist" but that doesn't change the fact that Devaney is just as much of a morgue for Tim Miles as it ever was for Doc Sadler. Maybe someday people will quit making excuses for why they don't go and cheer and just admit that they're apathetic no matter who the coach is.

When I was at UNL, I occasionally left games early, but always "involuntarily." By that, I mean that my calendar was too full, particularly on Wednesdays when I had meetings at 20:30, forcing me to leave some good games early.

However, I have never "voluntarily" left early, regardless of the inevitable outcome. Though, lately, I have tended to have "involuntary" tardiness at Northwestern games, particularly on Friday nights.

I loved the rant and agree with it. I know that there are good reasons why some may have to leave early...I get it. But there are also many excuses/reasons that simply do not make sense to me. But then again, there are a lot of people (including my wife) who think my dedication to Husker Hoops deserves a place in a very well-padded room.

This is one of my biggest pet peeve's with the Nebraska BBall crowd! I posted something on it last year also and got reemed for it. But IDC and will say it again. Stay home and watch the damn game on TV if you dont want to be there! Trust me, as a loyal season ticket holder, we will not miss you!! Half those people have no idea about the game of bball anyways and are extremely annoying to listen to or they block the view of the respectful fans that are still there trying to support their team! The players notice those crappy fans leaving with 5 minutes left in a game. No matter if it is a dogfight or not. At least give the players the respect they deserve and finish the game just like they have to!!!!!!!!

This is one of my biggest pet peeve's with the Nebraska BBall crowd! I posted something on it last year also and got reemed for it. But IDC and will say it again. Stay home and watch the damn game on TV if you dont want to be there! Trust me, as a loyal season ticket holder, we will not miss you!! Half those people have no idea about the game of bball anyways and are extremely annoying to listen to or they block the view of the respectful fans that are still there trying to support their team! The players notice those crappy fans leaving with 5 minutes left in a game. No matter if it is a dogfight or not. At least give the players the respect they deserve and finish the game just like they have to!!!!!!!!

Should the fans go to class like the players have to? Should they wear uniforms like the players have to?

Honestly, by saying the players "have to" stay, are you suggesting they'd rather be elsewhere?

Well I guess if you're just sick of it and want to leave that's one thing. I just doubt that has ever happened to you when the game was still in question. Having another commitment to be at is different too. I guess I'm more speaking about the fans who are sitting there watching the game and then all of a sudden say to whoever they came with, "welp, we better get going. Past my bedtime and gotta beat the traffic."

You're right in that I wouldn't have left the game last night, as it was very much in question. But that doesn't mean the people who left didn't have legitimate reasons to jet.

In my younger days with family back home or youngsters with me at a game, or with other reasons to commit less than 4+ hours to a game and related travel, I often arrived at a basketball game late and/or left early--actually, i did that with regularity--and listened to the radio for the initial and/or final minutes of a game. It worked perfectly for me.

Some people were offended? So it goes.

Should the fans go to class like the players have to? Should they wear uniforms like the players have to?

Honestly, by saying the players "have to" stay, are you suggesting they'd rather be elsewhere?

"Honestly", no, I'm not suggesting they would rather be elsewhere. I am suggesting that they should get the respect of the fan base for putting the hard work in. Hardwork meaning going to the classes that you suggest and earning a good grade while also having the rigors of going to practice daily and being away from home so often while competing during the season. Wearing that uniform you suggest with the upmost pride and trying to represent the University of Nebraska in the best manner possible, win or lose. The least some of these so-called-fans, and I say "some" loosely, is show them the respect and stay for those last five minutes and applaud them for the hard work they have put into being a student-athlete!!! Let me also add in, so no-one thinks I am "suggesting" anything, that this is not directed at all fans!!!

I normally don't get that worked up over the issue, but last night, the departures at the 4 minute media timeout made me crazy. Love Nebraskans--"it's a late game with that 8:00 p.m. tipoff, I gotta go!" Wow,, what's a few minutes lost sleep to watch the end of a close game where we had a chance to beat a better team. Frankly, the cchance to watch any win this year is a special occasion.

On a better note, I thought the Red Zone did pretty good last night.

It makes no sense to leave early. Even with that horrible parking situation last night. What's the deal with only one way out? Is that whole area going to be cage off the rest of the year? They couldn't wait till after the season? The people that are there I would consider die hards. I don't care about the people that didn't show up. Hell Ive had season tickets for 5 years and always move down to a certain section because those seats are never taken unless it's a big game. Don't show up, I don't care. But don't jump on the bandwagon when it turns around and act like you've always been there. What does leaving ten minutes early do? Seriously, kids, age, whatever...I don't think that extra ten minutes did anything for you. Most of the people I assume are from Lincoln unlike me who come from Omaha. I could care less about an extra ten minutes. I was more worried about them hitting that last second shot. Tickets are so cheap and I was so upset the crowd was so quiet last night in a close game and a game where the fans really could of helped out. Oh, and anyone else notice the keyboard in the band? How annoying was that? Sounded like an xylophone. Anyway, that's my rant. Thanks B.R. And I agree the Redzone was good. Love the U and the bell pic. Also the Miles head was great.

It makes no sense to leave early. Even with that horrible parking situation last night. What's the deal with only one way out? Is that whole area going to be cage off the rest of the year? They couldn't wait till after the season? The people that are there I would consider die hards. I don't care about the people that didn't show up. Hell Ive had season tickets for 5 years and always move down to a certain section because those seats are never taken unless it's a big game. Don't show up, I don't care. But don't jump on the bandwagon when it turns around and act like you've always been there. What does leaving ten minutes early do? Seriously, kids, age, whatever...I don't think that extra ten minutes did anything for you. Most of the people I assume are from Lincoln unlike me who come from Omaha. I could care less about an extra ten minutes. I was more worried about them hitting that last second shot. Tickets are so cheap and I was so upset the crowd was so quiet last night in a close game and a game where the fans really could of helped out. Oh, and anyone else notice the keyboard in the band? How annoying was that? Sounded like an xylophone. Anyway, that's my rant. Thanks B.R. And I agree the Redzone was good. Love the U and the bell pic. Also the Miles head was great.

AGREED 100%, the parking situation last night was terrible!!