Nebraska high school talent

Looking at box scores and watching high school games the last few years was curious if anyone had any reasons for the lack of D1mens high school talent in Nebraska now compared to 20 years ago.(Strickland, Woolridge, Brandt, Vogel, Chubick, Badget, Mason, Glock, Markowski, Redhage, Hahn, Mitchell)  There seems to plenty of D2 players being produced but not any D1's.  The girls produce tons of D1 talent in both basketball and volleyball but the men are down in all sports but wrestling?  Is this a youth development problem or just a population issue? 

Looking at box scores and watching high school games the last few years was curious if anyone had any reasons for the lack of D1mens high school talent in Nebraska now compared to 20 years ago.(Strickland, Woolridge, Brandt, Vogel, Chubick, Badget, Mason, Glock, Markowski, Redhage, Hahn, Mitchell)  There seems to plenty of D2 players being produced but not any D1's.  The girls produce tons of D1 talent in both basketball and volleyball but the men are down in all sports but wrestling?  Is this a youth development problem or just a population issue? 

The bigger question is what happened to Omaha and, to a lesser extent, Lincoln now that its population is around 200-250k. Some interesting theories out there, some of them pretty controversial. North Omaha used to produce very good players regularly, but they've all but disappeared over the last 20 years. even the burbs, like Bellevue, could produce some quality talent. But it just seems dried up. I'm guessing it's a combination of declining support in poorer school districts (North Omaha) combined with development issues vis a vis suburban schools where hoops might be a 2d or 3rd sport instead of a primary.

When South Sioux City seems to be your best breeding ground, you have issues.

The bigger question is what happened to Omaha and, to a lesser extent, Lincoln now that its population is around 200-250k. Some interesting theories out there, some of them pretty controversial. North Omaha used to produce very good players regularly, but they've all but disappeared over the last 20 years. even the burbs, like Bellevue, could produce some quality talent. But it just seems dried up. I'm guessing it's a combination of declining support in poorer school districts (North Omaha) combined with development issues vis a vis suburban schools where hoops might be a 2d or 3rd sport instead of a primary.

When South Sioux City seems to be your best breeding ground, you have issues.

When I played at Bryan some of the very best players in our school couldnt play on the team because they didnt have the grades to do so or didnt want to play organized in a team setting.  My guess is the talent could be there but theres a lot of other things prohibiting to the talent level.  Then you have some probable D1 players that can play in HS but their grades are so poor they dont get a lot of attention because they will end up going the way of Deverell Biggs, among other Central players recently (trend much), so that also hurts producing talent.

I'll try. There are only so many places at the table that is called major college ball. Having said that there is not only good talent but some of it outstanding. There is a real problem with High School sports. Star power is it. Refs are only slightly worse than B1G and pro refs. I personally have seen talent that is real in all classes of basketball in Nebraska. Some of it might work for Nebraska but not all of it. The player you mentioned were from years of good talent. Most were not from the same year but close. I really don't believe geographic or player development have much to do with so much as visibility. Go to the camps invite Tim and others to their clinics and maybe they will notice or have helpful insight. Why try to mold Nebraska High School ball after the national programs? Is there a stat to try and determine if AAU athletes are better recruits than other avenues? Even if there is, so what. What is ball without an identity? I watched a game where everyone in town was able to shoot and make three point shot after shot. Talk about identity. None of them went on to major college basketball. What is my point? How to get noticed without being a pain in the rear. tux

Also factor in the eastern half of CSU's roster while Miles was there...Eikmeier, Smith A and Smith B (and maybe one more? Where was Colton Iverson from?) to go along with Carr.

Jesse Carr was from Nebraska on his roster too....

That's why he said it in his last sentence

According to the Lincoln Journal Star, the best high school boys swimmer in the country this year is from Omaha.  So, there is that.

Looking at box scores and watching high school games the last few years was curious if anyone had any reasons for the lack of D1mens high school talent in Nebraska now compared to 20 years ago.(Strickland, Woolridge, Brandt, Vogel, Chubick, Badget, Mason, Glock, Markowski, Redhage, Hahn, Mitchell) There seems to plenty of D2 players being produced but not any D1's. The girls produce tons of D1 talent in both basketball and volleyball but the men are down in all sports but wrestling? Is this a youth development problem or just a population issue?

I'll try. There are only so many places at the table that is called major college ball. Having said that there is not only good talent but some of it outstanding. There is a real problem with High School sports. Star power is it. Refs are only slightly worse than B1G and pro refs. I personally have seen talent that is real in all classes of basketball in Nebraska. Some of it might work for Nebraska but not all of it. The player you mentioned were from years of good talent. Most were not from the same year but close. I really don't believe geographic or player development have much to do with so much as visibility. Go to the camps invite Tim and others to their clinics and maybe they will notice or have helpful insight. Why try to mold Nebraska High School ball after the national programs? Is there a stat to try and determine if AAU athletes are better recruits than other avenues? Even if there is, so what. What is ball without an identity? I watched a game where everyone in town was able to shoot and make three point shot after shot. Talk about identity. None of them went on to major college basketball. What is my point? How to get noticed without being a pain in the rear. tux

My reply would be then if those kids are just flying under the radar why aren't all the D2 and NAIA schools winning conference and national championships with all these kids that got overlooked by 300+ D1 schools.

We need a shot clock in NE high school ball.

That certainly wouldn't be a bad place to start...
Because there is nothing better than bad basketball played faster?

Pace and lack of success are not one & the same.

Definitely not but I think maybe it was being pointed out that HS basketball in this state IS bad and adding the shot clock would just increase the pace of said bad basketball.

We need a shot clock in NE high school ball.

That certainly wouldn't be a bad place to start...
Because there is nothing better than bad basketball played faster?

Pace and lack of success are not one & the same.

Definitely not but I think maybe it was being pointed out that HS basketball in this state IS bad and adding the shot clock would just increase the pace of said bad basketball.

A 45 second shot clock would help keep teams from taking the last 2 minutes of each quarter for a single possession. It would assist in the pace of the game, whether the product is good or not.

Sometimes people suck because they aren't forced to not suck.  Off the government tit, for example.  I've heard of research that says that it doesn't matter how long people are allowed to receive unemployment because most people don't really start looking for a job until the benefits are about out.  And, maybe the same is true for sucky high school hoops in Nebraska.  They suck because they can.  If you imposed a shot clock and only gave them 35 seconds to find a bad shot, they'd find just as good of bad shots as they do when they have an unlimited amount of time to find bad shots.  And maybe even better bad shots.  They'd probably learn better ball movement and better movement without the ball because they'd have to.

Necessity is the mother of invention.  "Because I have to" often produces results.  Constraints force ingenuity.

If you gave teams unlimited time to inbound the ball, you'd never see really good in-bounds plays.  

On one of his radio shows, Miles even talked about how you can see a lot of great things the NBA does in moving the ball around and finding open looks with a short clock.

Wherever you set the bar, most people will do only enough to get over it.  Raise the bar and people will still do just enough to get over it but they'll have to work harder (and be better) to get there.

I'd like to see a high school shot clock.  JMOO.

I've heard the theory that we did have some good basketball talent, but our coaching staffs during that 20 year drought were not recognizing that and looking to recruit elsewhere. Kids (their parents, really) were recognizing that and they ended up moving out of the state to compete in other regions to have a better chance of being looked at and recruited.

I have to backing for this, but that what I've heard. Just curious to see if anybody else has heard the same.

I've heard the theory that we did have some good basketball talent, but our coaching staffs during that 20 year drought were not recognizing that and looking to recruit elsewhere. Kids (their parents, really) were recognizing that and they ended up moving out of the state to compete in other regions to have a better chance of being looked at and recruited.

I have to backing for this, but that what I've heard. Just curious to see if anybody else has heard the same.

This seems like taking the effect and making it the cause.

However, I'm sure you can find a handful of cases like Ed Morrow moving to Chicago

Why try to mold Nebraska High School ball after the national programs? Is there a stat to try and determine if AAU athletes are better recruits than other avenues? 

You're aware that the state of Nebraska has several AAU teams, right?

The reason I brought  this up is when Nee was here we seemed to be able to get a solid contributor from Nebraska every few years.  It would make recruiting so much easier for coach Miles and staff if we produced some legit D-1 talent.  I know there have been a few D-1 players but just seems to be really down compared to the ladies sports.

North and South Dakota have a shot clock in high school basketball.  I think the logistical concerns get blown way out of proportion.  I coach high school basketball and would love to see it happen in Nebraska.  I think South Dakota started with just it's largest class having it, that might be the way for Nebraska to phase it in.