"The loud cheering of "HUSKER POWER" during the introduction of the visiting team...seems rude and unsportsmanlike on our part."

MidwestDrummer

So, our response to Jean, summarized:

Yes, it's rude. Duh. That's kinda the point. You can't have a hostile environment without a little hostile.

At least we got rid of the part where we yelled that the other team's players suck. Which is less sportsmanlike? Cheering for YOUR team during the other team's introductions? Or booing the other team during their introductions? You apparently didn't take issue with yelling that the other team's players suck. Why complain now? How is this even remotely worse?

I've said it before but I'll say it again. This is the BEST tradition we've EVER come up with that is uniquely ours. It gets the crowd into it and it gets the noise level up and it is AWESOME. It's the only thing we do that fans from other teams might watch on youtube and say, "That's cool; we should do something like that."

Add something about the players and coaches taking notice and loving it

BTW, I'd be completely behind getting rid of the "Husker Power" chant if we replaced it with "Us Always"

Can we organize this for the Wisconsin game? You think this wouldn't fire up the team? Holy smokes!

BTW, I'd be completely behind getting rid of the "Husker Power" chant if we replaced it with "Us Always"

I say go with Us Always on the tip or to open the second half.

My suggestion was tongue in cheek but I think Husker Power works.  Don't fix what we have already working.  Build on it.

As much as I'd love us to be spontaneous, it really helps when we plan this thing out.  Really sounds like a 2nd half tip-off sort of deal.  Would be truly inspiring if we find ourselves down.

I've said it before but I'll say it again.  This is the BEST tradition we've EVER come up with that is uniquely ours.  It gets the crowd into it and it gets the noise level up and it is AWESOME.  It's the only thing we do that fans from other teams might watch on youtube and say, "That's cool; we should do something like that."

Just out of curiosity, where did the newspaper toss come from? I'd never seen it before the red zone did it. I like that a lot.

I can't give you 100% confirmation, but I think it had to do with Husker Hoops students wanting to do something kind of like the balloon release at the football games. Quite honestly, I think the newspaper tradition has a way cooler effect.

This is also probably a fan that donates $1000s of Dollars to the athletic department...

...or maybe she doesn't. Maybe she's just typical of what a lot of Husker fans have become, more interested in style over substance.
I was making assumptions based on the fact that the poster above had made assumptions as well.

I have no problem with this chant...I think it is always better to cheer for your team than yell at the other...so this chant seems like a good idea to me.

I just think that we can't scare off those fans that can't stand up all game...because often they support our program financially....and we need to be inclusive to build the program..

I think that Todd Kitty on the comments web page may have put this to rest:

Todd Kitty - 23 minutes ago At what point do these old hags in Lincoln shut their pieholes? Can't stand up during games...Can't yell too loudly b/c that's disrespectful to the rest of the people in your section trying to enjoy their Runza...Can't chant during an opponent's introduction b/c by golly, those kids at Purdue EARNED the right to have their name called over the loud speaker and RESPECT RESPECT RESPECT.

Judas. I'm all for respecting the opponent and embracing tradition, but since when does that mean you need to treat the arena like a goldanged cathedral? It's a sporting event, Jean, not Easter Sundee. And last I checked, we've got exaclty 0 tourney appearances in the last 15 years, and exactly 0 tourney wins EVER. This team needs every ounce of help it can get. Take your buns and your ill-timed gripes to the friggin VFW where somebody might actually give a flyin fuuuuug, Jean.   Once again at least we have been nice. ^_^

While we're on the topic... WHY DO PEOPLE USE THE "10 ITEMS OR LESS" EXPRESS LINE EVEN THOUGH THEY HAVE 11 ITEMS?

The nerve these people have...

I want to know why the sign says "10 items or less" when it should be "10 items or fewer."

That's what gets my goat!

I think that Todd Kitty on the comments web page may have put this to rest:

Todd Kitty - 23 minutes ago At what point do these old hags in Lincoln shut their pieholes? Can't stand up during games...Can't yell too loudly b/c that's disrespectful to the rest of the people in your section trying to enjoy their Runza...Can't chant during an opponent's introduction b/c by golly, those kids at Purdue EARNED the right to have their name called over the loud speaker and RESPECT RESPECT RESPECT.

Judas. I'm all for respecting the opponent and embracing tradition, but since when does that mean you need to treat the arena like a goldanged cathedral? It's a sporting event, Jean, not Easter Sundee. And last I checked, we've got exaclty 0 tourney appearances in the last 15 years, and exactly 0 tourney wins EVER. This team needs every ounce of help it can get. Take your buns and your ill-timed gripes to the friggin VFW where somebody might actually give a flyin fuuuuug, Jean. Once again at least we have been nice. ^_^

LOL! I just ate a runza and it wasn't perfectly quiet. Threw my taste buds way out of whack. Didn't taste the same.

I just think that we can't scare off those fans that can't stand up all game...because often they support our program financially....and we need to be inclusive to build the program..

You're right.  I made a pretty blanket statement.

If it's physically hard for people to stand for an entire game or if they need to leave early because of that, it's not those fans I was meaning to lump into a group....the kind of fans that have been coming to games even in the darkest days of Husker basketball.

Can we organize this for the Wisconsin game? You think this wouldn't fire up the team? Holy smokes!

Don't mess with it.  Husker Power is awesome and loud.  Getting the crowd to perform something else with as much energy is a gamble not worth taking at this point, IMO.  Do "Us Always" at some other point.

I say go with Us Always on the tip or to open the second half.

My suggestion was tongue in cheek but I think Husker Power works.  Don't fix what we have already working.  Build on it.

As much as I'd love us to be spontaneous, it really helps when we plan this thing out.  Really sounds like a 2nd half tip-off sort of deal.  Would be truly inspiring if we find ourselves down.

That could be good. I'd get behind that.

While we're on the topic... WHY DO PEOPLE USE THE "10 ITEMS OR LESS" EXPRESS LINE EVEN THOUGH THEY HAVE 11 ITEMS?

I want to know why the sign says "10 items or less" when it should be "10 items or fewer."

If you want goat that's gonna have to go through the customer service desk.

The Husker Power chant is iconic and something that resonates with the whole crowd (minus Jean). Now that everybody knows about it, it's just going to get louder and louder and it's fun so it gives people a reason to be in their seats before tip.

I am officially going to have no voice Saturday night. I have the basketball game to yell at and then I have to head directly to Pershing to cheer on No Coast. GO BIG RED! HUSKER POWER! GO NO COAST!

Take this suggestion for what its worth...and maybe this year more than any prior year....the Huskers could steal a No Coast Cheer (which I'm sure they got from someone else).  WHOSE HOUSE???? OUR HOUSE!!!!

I am officially going to have no voice Saturday night. I have the basketball game to yell at and then I have to head directly to Pershing to cheer on No Coast. GO BIG RED! HUSKER POWER! GO NO COAST!

Take this suggestion for what its worth...and maybe this year more than any prior year....the Huskers could steal a No Coast Cheer (which I'm sure they got from someone else).  WHOSE HOUSE???? OUR HOUSE!!!!

Love this. Students should queue this up in the final seconds during wins...maybe something to campaign for in the future. As Silverbacked has alluded to, it all starts with the grassroots efforts. The catchy chants have worked at Utah State, they can certainly work here.

If you want goat that's gonna have to go through the customer service desk.

DAMNIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!