"The loud cheering of "HUSKER POWER" during the introduction of the visiting team...seems rude and unsportsmanlike on our part."

MidwestDrummer

If you're in need of a good laugh, give this a read:

http://journalstar.com/news/opinion/mailbag/letter-timing-of-chant-rude/article_bf7327a0-21c5-5e8d-a6df-b0256bb86225.html

Letter, 2/26: Timing of chant rude
Congratulations to the NU men's basketball team for an exciting and successful season. I enjoy the pep band and the student Red Zone and the enthusiasm they bring to the games, but I have been disappointed at the last two home games concerning a new practice by the Red Zone.

I refer to the loud cheering of "HUSKER POWER" during the introduction of the visiting team. This seems rude and unsportsmanlike on our part. If other Big Ten teams do this sort of thing, then shame on them.

Nebraska fans have a reputation for being good fans. I would hope that the reputation would not be tarnished.

Jean Peck, Lincoln

Jean is that you who has been yelling at me to sit when I stand to cheer on the boys?

This is the fan who tells you that you're cheering too loud.

This is the fan that leaves with 4 minutes to go when the game is tied.

This is the fan that will only stand when a t-shirt is being fired into the crowd.

Jean is that you who has been yelling at me to sit when I stand to cheer on the boys?

This is the fan that will only stand when a t-shirt is being fired into the crowd.

This is also probably a fan that donates $1000s of Dollars to the athletic department, so we can Hire Quality coaches like Tim miles, build practice facilities, and buy out coaches like Doc  which all allow us to have something to cheer for.

So, it takes all kinds...if we only had people that just bought a ticket and yelled loud....we probably won't end up with much to cheer about.

This is also probably a fan that donates $1000s of Dollars to the athletic department, so we can Hire Quality coaches like Tim miles, build practice facilities, and buy out coaches like Doc which all allow us to have something to cheer for.

So, it takes all kinds...if we only had people that just bought a ticket and yelled loud....we probably won't end up with much to cheer about.

Hello Jean.

This is also probably a fan that donates $1000s of Dollars to the athletic department, so we can Hire Quality coaches like Tim miles, build practice facilities, and buy out coaches like Doc  which all allow us to have something to cheer for.

This is a valid point.  Allow me to counterpoint.

Are there donors who come to the game, sit there quietly, leave early, and aren't pleased when others stand during the game and thus they have to?  I'm sure.  Does this describe all donors?  Absolutely not..

Are some donors willing to stop donating because fans are wrecking the atmosphere with cheering?  Possibly.

Can you find equal or more dollars from fans because we the atmosphere has changed because we are winning?  Absolutely.

If you're in need of a good laugh, give this a read:

http://journalstar.com/news/opinion/mailbag/letter-timing-of-chant-rude/article_bf7327a0-21c5-5e8d-a6df-b0256bb86225.html

Letter, 2/26: Timing of chant rude
Congratulations to the NU men's basketball team for an exciting and successful season. I enjoy the pep band and the student Red Zone and the enthusiasm they bring to the games, but I have been disappointed at the last two home games concerning a new practice by the Red Zone.

I refer to the loud cheering of "HUSKER POWER" during the introduction of the visiting team. This seems rude and unsportsmanlike on our part. If other Big Ten teams do this sort of thing, then shame on them.

Nebraska fans have a reputation for being good fans. I would hope that the reputation would not be tarnished.

Jean Peck, Lincoln

Hahahaha.  Come on Jean...really?  Perhaps you need to get a clue :) 

Here are some examples of being rude or unsportsmanlike...just a few:

* Cheering when an opposing player goes down with injury...

* Running at an ejected player who is being removed from the floor...

* Racial taunting...

Again, our fans are generally fair weather...they can be a bit lathargic at times, they tend to be band wagon jumpers, they tend to be obnoxious at times, especially the band wagon jumpers; but rude and unsportsmanlike...nope.

True confession: while yelling "Power" over-and-over at the top-of-my lungs and with gusto during player introductions, I thought, "This is kinda rude."

However, it seems that fans in a sporting event are allowed, as a matter of social decorum, certain behaviors that would be taboo in an office environment or other social setting. For example, cheering over someone else's mistake would, ordinarily, be frowned upon--but cheering for an un-forced turnover is perfectly fine. Yelling at a judge might land someone in jail, but yelling at a ref--standard behavior.

The difficulty for Husker fans is the long-cultivated reputation for being gracious hosts to opponents at Husker events. Hence, angst about such things among some fans (yours truly included) is unavoidable, even while we all still clap for an injured player leaving the floor or treat fans clad in opposing colors graciously as they leave the arena.

I'm back from a trip and find that this Jean has opened up a whole peck of trouble. I'm doubtful she'll take the time to send a rebuttal letter since the ShimSham practice schedule is probably quite rigorous.

Could you send that into the paper Jimmy as that maybe the funniest thing that will be said about this. 

True confession: while yelling "Power" over-and-over at the top-of-my lungs and with gusto during player introductions, I thought, "This is kinda rude."

This is about creating energy in our building which has seemed to help create defensive energy.  It is a pro Nebraska cheer.  Not a derogatory one.  That should be considered okay at any time that is not the National Anthem or when we are at the line imo. 

It's possible to consider the timing of the chant to be rude.

Before the chant from the student section was typically "Who cares, you suck"

The student section is going to chant something (if they're not turned away or reading papers).

Why not have it be positive?  Why not have it be Pro-Huskers?  Why not everyone get behind it?