uneblinstu's post game chatter: ed 6, vol 27 - Purdue

uneblinstu

This is what I've been waiting for since I moved to Lincoln 14 years ago. This is what many have been waiting for for even longer than that.

- Petteway is just a machine.

- After that ugly start, raise your hand if you thought they'd get to Runza territory by the 8 minute mark of the second half.

- Parker was the spark again. He's been unbelievable without scoring any points. Fan favorite.

- Rivers, too, he played outstanding as well. Rebounding like a maniac.

- Big time game from Shields. Second career double double. He's starting to get more consistent, too.

- Purdue couldn't hit the broad side of a barn. Some of that credit goes the Husker defense. They got so frustrated they just stopped shooting threes. That made NU's job a lot easier on the defensive side.

- Purdue doesn't have an identity right now. 

- The Huskers need a guy inside like Hammonds. Maybe Hammond will be the guy.

- This is unrecognizable from any Nebrasketball team I've ever seen. Heck, they're unrecognizable from earlier this year. They do a little bit of everything. And they've become a team that does a lot of defense.

- Man, that finish by Pitchford on the alley-oop blew the roof off the place. That was sweet!

- Gallegos seems to be pretty unconfident right now. Shot seems a bit flat.

- Smith struggled a bit but did some good work on the boards.

- Things are starting to get real for the Huskers, now. It'll be interesting to see how they handle the road and this streak. 

- It's not just that NU won, it's that they're blowing teams out. Even on the road, they led MSU by 13 late. This team doesn't fear anything right now.

This is fun, guys. Enjoy the ride. Here's to six straight on Wednesday!

This post has been promoted to an article

- Benny Parker may not win Game MVP but his play Raised us up, and demoralized Purdue.

- Shavon and Terran and gelling right now, and its beautiful they are starting compliment each other so well.

- We didnt need it, but id still like to see Pitch intiate more dribble drive action on other big men.

- Hammonds, looked just absolutly disinterested in being  in Lincoln, NE; having the same temprament, and passion for basketball as Andrew Bynum is not a good thing.

-Liked Hawkins stroke, and aggresiveness, he, and Benny's performance play neutralized Tai fould trouble.

- I love our confidence right now, continue it next week boys!

Started very sluggish which I thought probably would happen but it didn't last.

My biggest complaint was the press break not going back to the inbounder in the first half.  Shields kept going straight into the trap.

Parker and Rivers brought the energy.  My co-players of the game.

This team is fun and right now on the bubble.  Picking up another road win @Illinois and it will be hard to have them out at that moment.  Getting so close now.  10 and one in the tourney or maybe just 10 with a win over Wisconsin should be enough.  Or...Just win out!

I thought Smith, quietly had a great game. While he didnt bolster the state sheet, he played with lots of heart and battled. Hammons, is a load, physically. Not sure why he doesnt get more minutes.

HUGE props to Benny, his drive to the basket is dynamite and is great on tape for opposing teams, if he can keep this up and improve his shot making ability, we will be cooking with gas. teams are playing their center on him and he has to make them pay.

Ray, keep shooting we will need you to hit a few jumpers.

Terran is great, he just needs to keep grinding. IF he could hit em with a pull up jumper he will take his game to another planet.

Love Walter showing that turnaround game, that 15 foot jumper, he is so dangerous, he is playing more aggressive.

Tai, he is coming in to his own, while he isnt burning down the state sheet, but he appears to be playing much more aggresively. IT will turn the corner.

Shields is the glue of this team, which is what I mentioned even when he was struggling mightily.  He's a stud.

Petteway is the heart, and has been carrying this team on the offensive end of the floor.  NBA-caliber already.

Pitchford is a stretch 4 playing 5 and he's been doing much better on the defensive end during this amazing run!  Could be even better when he's locked & loaded for his true position next year...

Parker is the soul of this team by making effort plays all over the court - he has really pushed Webster to raise his level of play!

RayRay is becoming a more complete player w/ rebounds, assists & defensive pressure - now, if only he only rain a few more triples!

Rivers is becoming a man on the boards & swatting shots, and even knocks down a jumper when he's open!

Smith is doing his best to defend, block-out & rebound - offensively he seems to be struggling & has made a number of passing errors lately.

Guys have developed roles on this team, and the defensive identity is the tipping point for this run of 8-2 in the past 10 games... time to keep this rolling at the Illini!

Love uneblinstu's post. I'd agree on several fronts.

-pettaway is a beast, and he continues to drive this team. He is the incarnation of our passion to get to the tourney and play hard right now. It's so fun watching this team play together. (PBA has great fan enjoyment/entertainment value)

-Shavon is complimenting Terran well, and I think the pressure taken off him by pettaway has helped him.

-tai is really starting to open up over the last few games, but still has work to do, along with ray. They are still in the kind of funk shavon was in earlier, but it don't think it would be too hard to change; all it takes is a paradigm shift similar to shavon and pettaway.

-Leslee and David are making strides, getting dem rebounds

-gotta love Benny! Even after all my years seeing the touted husker defense, this year's team (or half year) is leaps and bounds beyond ANY defensive presence I've ever seen. We shut them down today. After the close period where neither team could score in the first half, we finally got going and they never could.

Crowd participation is good, but it can get better. I'd like to see the entire student section behind the hoop get going more, along with the rest of the crowd, not only on jams; they can ignite the crowd as a whole if they would stand most of the game like the court side student section. I was really disappointed with their laziness besides the lower 1/3 of the section. A lot of times it was really hard to get them to stand up, and they would often wait until the last necessary moment to stand up.

Otherwise it's really picking up, and the husker fan base is starting to learn how to turn us into a hard place to play and "basketball school" :)love their dedication and support. Pretty classy bunch as a whole, and it makes me proud to be part of the movement. :)

Go listen to Matt Painter's post-game on Huskers.com. He had some nice things to say about our players of course, but when asked if Nebraska was an NCAA team, said we've "still got some work to do". He didn't shower a lot of platitudes, which I can truly appreciate.

He did say that we would be a tough team to play if we did make it. I do agree we have some work to do. I'm glad he said that.

My dad asked me this....and I didn't know the answer. Prior to this game and the last one...when was the last time we have played a game where everyone got court time?

Last year, as in December of this current season...

Ah...cool... lol .I thought it was a lot longer. I'm just not used to seeing us win like this.

What a difference a year makes - remember this quote from Miles after last season's NU-Purdue game at the Bob?

“That’s why I called that last timeout. I said, ‘Look around, what do you see? Empty seats, people heading to the exits.’

No need to call timeout this season as a motivational tool to ask the guys to watch the fans leaving because of a lopsided loss.

Calling timeout to make sure the walk-ons get into a blowout win is much more enjoyable.  :D

http://journalstar.com/sports/huskers/mens-basketball/husker-rally-does-little-to-satisfy-miles-after-loss/article_30f25eb6-4a7d-5ca6-b3ee-eddf044ffbb6.html

What a difference a year makes - remember this quote from Miles after last season's NU-Purdue game at the Bob?

“That’s why I called that last timeout. I said, ‘Look around, what do you see? Empty seats, people heading to the exits.’

No need to call timeout this season as a motivational tool to ask the guys to watch the fans leaving because of a lopsided loss.

Calling timeout to make sure the walk-ons get into a blowout win is much more enjoyable.  :D

http://journalstar.com/sports/huskers/mens-basketball/husker-rally-does-little-to-satisfy-miles-after-loss/article_30f25eb6-4a7d-5ca6-b3ee-eddf044ffbb6.html

I know I was thoroughly enjoying the rolling T.O.  Those around me must not have realized the implication from a mere season ago