02/23/14 Purdue at Nebraska

hhcscott

OFFENSE: A

Started slow but man what a second half. Petteway with 29, Shields 18, and Pitchford with 10. The shots started falling within the offense and when the Huskers made defensive effort into offensive opportunity.

DEFENSE: A+

Sixteen baskets on 30% shooting for Purdue. Parker and Rivers got serious consideration for co-players of the game. They were a constant irritation perimeter and post. Disruptive and distracting. shields also chipping in with three steals. This is the identity of Nebraska basketball. Full defensive intensity for forty minutes will take us a long way.

REBOUNDING: C

Lost the battle on the boards, but it didn't feel like it. Yeoman effort from Shields to pull down 10. The Huskers seemed to be getting to the loose ball and tying the Boilermakers up, so the imbalance in rebounds was mitigated.

BALL HANDLING: A+

Thirteen assists to nine turnovers is nice, but the movement of the ball, the sweet alley-oops, the purposeful movement to get shots in the offense really made this a joy to watch.

COACHING: A

Miles seems to have found the right buttons, the rotation, and motivation for this team. They are playing so well together and coaching is key to getting everyone to buy in. This is the second or third game recently where early foul trouble has wound up being no trouble. Bench comes in and helps keep the intensity.

OVERALL GRADE: A

Not flawless but very satisfying. This TEAM is what every one of us hope and wish for every off season, that group that comes in underrated, unappreciated, and over the course of the season they come together, they build and grow and develop individually and collectively. Naysayers hush, the RPI savvy of Miles, the POY play of Petteway, the return of 2013 Shields, and the Rivers-Parker resurgence are why we are in the NCAA discussion with our destiny in our own hands.

Go Big Red!!!

PLAYER OF THE GAME: Shavon "And One" Shields

2013-2014 PLAYER OF THE GAME RESULTS:

TERRAN PETTEWAY - 13

SHAVON SHIELDS - 5

WALTER PITCHFORD - 3

TAI WEBSTER - 2

LESLEE SMITH - 2

DEVERELL BIGGS - 1

This post has been promoted to an article

Shields was indeed a worthy candidate but I would humbly submit that Benny was the player of the game. I know other guys scored more but we expect them to. Parker came in under duress because of Webster's fouls and lit a fuse. He ran point effectively -- not brilliantly -- and kept sticking his nose in on D and totally disrupted any offense Purdue might have started. What a game the young man had!

Good scorecard...but are we taking Terran for granted? :P The dude scores high 20's handles four different positions and he is not the best player on the floor tonight?

I agree Teran had a good night, and another 29. However, if not for Shields in the 1st half, this game is much closer. I think he had 13 and 7 in the 1st half. You could also argue for David and Benny with their defense.

I've been really impressed with our transition game lately, both offensively and defensively. No more mucking it up, walking up the floor. Miles knows we have the firepower to get out and run and it's paying big dividends.

I'm just waiting for the day that Terran passes on a transition play. I mean he makes it most of the time so I'm not complaining, but when it is 2-1 or so, he is not passing the ball

I've been really impressed with our transition game lately, both offensively and defensively. No more mucking it up, walking up the floor. Miles knows we have the firepower to get out and run and it's paying big dividends.

We are doing it smart also.  Not doing it just to do it, but generally doing it when it is there. 

I'm just waiting for the day that Terran passes on a transition play. I mean he makes it most of the time so I'm not complaining, but when it is 2-1 or so, he is not passing the ball

He is so good at using his body in those situations though that it may be less efficient to pass when he has full steam.  I don't think it is selfishness, but generally competitiveness.  It is a fine line though. 

BhNWkhFCYAAHq28.jpg

Now that was fun to watch... You know a team truly follows the "US ALWAYS" when they get this excited about Menke coming out and draining a three. If these players keep it up, they're going to be dangerous. I remember watching VCU (when they made their first run) and they were just out there having fun.

I went home and watched the game, and then watched a bit more on the rebroadcast later last night.  The announcers reaction (to our players reaction) of Menke's three made me proud.  Watch sometime, who are the first two players who come onto the floor at a timeout to greet the team...Kye and Menke...Menke had the love returned after that shot.  Love this team!

I realize it is somewhat of a copout but if ever we should award POG honors to the mythical "Team" this might be a good time to do it. Everyone who played was able to contribute positively and this might be the proper time to send the message that HHC recognizes each player for his team role as well as his individual stats. This bunch is rapidly bringing us to the next level we have longed for so many years and the team seems to be constructed like a Lego figure. While Petteway gets to be the "face" piece, if one of the other parts is left out the whole structure is lopsided and falls over. And for any of our friends from NZ who may read this, I changed my logo not because I am disappointed with our young kiwi but because I will be unavailable for a few days and wanted to give some props to Nebraska before the Oscars.

BhNWkhFCYAAHq28.jpg

Now that was fun to watch... You know a team truly follows the "US ALWAYS" when they get this excited about Menke coming out and draining a three. If these players keep it up, they're going to be dangerous. I remember watching VCU (when they made their first run) and they were just out there having fun.

The expression on Rivers face is priceless here.