First round "bye" conundrum

rwmctrofholz

I'm sitting here day dreaming about the Big Ten; as I'm prone do do.

My question to you is this:  A first round bye in in the Big 10 tournament is not out of the question.  Would Nebraska be better off to not get a bye and instead try and get an extra win under their belt to prop up the record a bit more instead of having the bye?

I recognize the fact that this question comes with a lot of assumptions.  

Your thoughts?

That first round game is high risk/low reward.  We would likely be playing an Illinois or Northwestern team with nothing to lose.  Beat them, and you're not doing much to help your resume.  Lose, and that's a great way to take yourself out of the NCAA discussions.  I know a lot of people on this board look at the first round as an easy way to add to our win total, but I just don't see it that way.  I'm squarely in the "first round bye is a good thing" camp.

If we finish tied with OSU, who would get the tiebreaker?

Honestly, I want whatever gets us a matchup with Iowa on the second day of the tournament.

Still unknown who would win that tiebreaker. Here's the tiebreaker rules.

A. Two-team tie:

1. Results of head-to-head competition during the regular-season.

2. Each team's record vs. the team occupying the highest position in the final regular-season standings (or in the case of a tie for the championship, the next highest position in the regular-season standings), continuing down through the standings until one team gains an advantage.

a. When arriving at another pair of tied teams while comparing records, use each team's record against the collective tied teams as a group (prior to their own tie-breaking procedures), rather than the performance against the individual tied teams.

b. When comparing records against a single team or a group of teams, the higher winning percentage shall prevail, even if the number of games played against the team or group are unequal (i.e., 2-0 is better than 3-1, but 2-0 is not better than 1-0).

3. Won-loss percentage of all Division I opponents.

4. Coin toss conducted by the Commissioner or designee.

If we finish tied with OSU, who would get the tiebreaker?

Honestly, I want whatever gets us a matchup with Iowa on the second day of the tournament.

Still unknown who would win that tiebreaker. Here's the tiebreaker rules.

A. Two-team tie:

1. Results of head-to-head competition during the regular-season.

2. Each team's record vs. the team occupying the highest position in the final regular-season standings (or in the case of a tie for the championship, the next highest position in the regular-season standings), continuing down through the standings until one team gains an advantage.

a. When arriving at another pair of tied teams while comparing records, use each team's record against the collective tied teams as a group (prior to their own tie-breaking procedures), rather than the performance against the individual tied teams.

b. When comparing records against a single team or a group of teams, the higher winning percentage shall prevail, even if the number of games played against the team or group are unequal (i.e., 2-0 is better than 3-1, but 2-0 is not better than 1-0).

3. Won-loss percentage of all Division I opponents.

4. Coin toss conducted by the Commissioner or designee.

So, basically, we want MSU to win the league, then.

I'm sitting here day dreaming about the Big Ten; as I'm prone do do.

My question to you is this:  A first round bye in in the Big 10 tournament is not out of the question.  Would Nebraska be better off to not get a bye and instead try and get an extra win under their belt to prop up the record a bit more instead of having the bye?

I recognize the fact that this question comes with a lot of assumptions.  

Your thoughts?

If we finish in the top 4, we're in.  What we'd have to do to get a top 4 seed would be enough to be in the dance IMO.

I just don't see top 4.  OSU Wisky and Iowa (2 of 3) would have to struggle mightily and we would have to win at least 3 but probably 4 of our remaining 5.  

Iowa holds the tiebreaker against us so we probably aren't catching them.  Maybe it could come down to the last game of the season, beat Wisky and get the 4 seed (with a tiebreaker over both Wisky and OSU).

But in that case we would probably have to play Wisky a few days later anyway.

I would say that if we get to 11-7 we are already going to be getting an 8 or a 9 seed.

We definitely want the bye, but our chances are so small of getting it.

I just don't see top 4.  OSU Wisky and Iowa (2 of 3) would have to struggle mightily and we would have to win at least 3 but probably 4 of our remaining 5.  

Iowa holds the tiebreaker against us so we probably aren't catching them.  Maybe it could come down to the last game of the season, beat Wisky and get the 4 seed (with a tiebreaker over both Wisky and OSU).

But in that case we would probably have to play Wisky a few days later anyway.

I would say that if we get to 11-7 we are already going to be getting an 8 or a 9 seed.

We definitely want the bye, but our chances are so small of getting it.

That's why you play the games. Who on here thought that the Huskers would catch a Hail Mary to beat No. Western.