Might this be a Destination Job for our Coach??

jimmykc

Since we have another day for random, totally premature, meaningless posts, I thought I would throw this one out there. After reading Miles interview in USAToday by Ms. Auerbach ( I'll let someone smarter make the link if it hasn't already been done) let's make some assumptions. 1. We'll make the Dance 2. Tim will be COY in Big 10. 3. He'll continue to be media darling and draw national attention.

Now, does anyone think lots of "better programs" won't be trying to lure him elsewhere? Why might he decide to remain??? I think the article indicates he would be happy remaining here for the duration of his career even if Walter White sums of money are thrown his way. Minnesota seems to be the only program closer to his roots and already has a young coach. I think family is important to him and the purse strings will open appropriately to keep the arena filled if all goes well. I think he will be happy to end his career in Lincoln if everything falls into place. This would be most unusual if it comes to pass (see Dana Altman in Oregon) but I think it could happen here. If he indeed starts to win some NCAA tournament games he'll establish himself as a legend like all of the 2004 Red Sox have become. I personally would like to still see him here when his hair is as white as Danny Nee's.

Since we are already being overly speculative (as all good fans should do), I'll add some of my own extreme speculation to the mix.

So, if things go well here for Miles (i.e. Nebraska consistently heads to NCAA tourney and makes a run here or there), he would have at least some, if not all, of the following.

- High fan support with still reasonable expectations

- Competitive salary (from the Athletic Department)

- Being a member of a league with rather impressive coaches across the board

- Close to family

You also have to wonder how much he really likes moving from place to place. I mean, he seems to really enjoy doing the rebuilding thing, but at a certain point, I'm sure it becomes a lot to move his family to a new place and to start the process all over again.

Anyway, all of these factors seem to me to contribute to a sort of inertia, meaning any force that will get him to leave will have to be stronger as these things become more in place. Read: increased salary and higher profile job.

So, I suspect that if he sticks around for about five years or more (and he continues to be successful), he would only leave for a high-profile job, i.e. like a consistent top-15 type team. I would be really suprised to see him make a 'lateral' move from Nebraska, or to take another small step up. If there is a next step, it will surely be a big one, and surely be his last. Nonetheless, it is not unthinkable that he has already made that last step.

Dana Altman probably always wanted to be the coach of Nebraska.  It didn't happen due to timing. I think overall he's been quite happy with how things went at Creighton and Oregon.

I think that job for Tim is Minnesota.  I also think the timing will never work out there either.

When he wins 28+ games or makes it to a final 4, maybe then someone has a big enough dump truck full of money.  Would it ever be big enough to pull the guy from the conference he wants to coach in and a location as close to his family as he can get?

This excerpt from the USA Today article gives me reason to believe that Miles has found his home.

"I grew up in South Dakota. Most of my brothers, sisters, parents – my parents are three hours away. It's great for them to come down and be able to participate in our home games on a regular basis. My brother says, 'I get to yell at the refs in person instead of yelling at them through the TV.' It's neat. My wife's family is close. It's nice to be close."

I'll bring this up again. As many people know, I was a big advocate of some other coaches out there during our search (one in particular). At the time (and still to this day), we needed to hire a coach that could draw interest, bring in recruits, and set the program up for success. Many coaches fit the bill for that.

It wasn't until we hired Miles and I had a little time to get to know him as a coach until things started to click. Not only did we need a coach that could offer all of that, we needed a coach that would call Nebraska his home. A coach that provided consistency and passion for the program. Miles IS that guy. I'm sure moving on will cross his mind many times throughout his career, but think about it... he's made it to the top division, he's in a top conference, he's basically tenured at a great university, and (from his interviews) he absolutely loves the city, his family is a matter of a few hours away, and his kids are enjoying their time as well. If things go well, there's absolutely no reason for him to go anywhere else.

$$$$$$ pay him.

He has the fan support, facilities and recruiting support.

Whatever he needs get it to him. They can bump my season ticket prices a few bucks if they want to pay him more I could care less. I'd pay more to see this quality if hoops than anything I paid to seethe last 15 years.

I have never had more fun going to games like I have had this year

I really like Miles and hopes he finishes his career at Nebraska.  I think he is the complete package and is exactly what we need as a basketball coach.  I just hope the administration doesn't hesitate to pay him the big $$$.  If he does get us to the tournament this year, they need to bump up his pay at the end of the year.  At some point, if Miles continues to do big things at Nebraska, then the administration needs to be willing to pony up $3+ million a year to keep him here.

He's a builder.  His track record is to bring programs from the ashes and make them into competitors.  North Dakota State, Colorado State, now Nebraska (in progress).  Just like the rest of us in our own careers, we may prove to be great at our current job but always have an end goal in mind - therefore moving out of that job after we made something awesome.  I think what's great about Tim Miles is he tends to be learning all along soaking in experiences and education along the way.  His coaching career makes sense stepping up after he's made the program he was in better.

My coaching career advice because I have no experience whatsoever would be not only to transform Nebraska into a top half Big Ten team and legit perennial NCAA tournament contender, but to continue and maintain that ship for a few years beyond the initial success prove you can maintain that high level and not be a flash in the pan builder.  Then and only then do you look at the legacy dream job at an established big name basketball university.  Even if he does choose to leave prior to his career being finished, it's a win for Nebraska and for him as he would have transformed the program from a bottom dweller to a sought after position amongst the elite or up and coming coaches in the future - no longer a dead end job for coaches.  All crazy speculation and conjecture of course, but man it feels good just to talk about this.

$$$$$$ pay him.

Whatever he needs get it to him. They can bump my season ticket prices a few bucks if they want to pay him more I could care less. I'd pay more to see this quality if hoops than anything I paid to seethe last 15 years.

That's the reason that NU needs to make sure Miles & his impressive group of assistants have any & every resource needed to be competitive in the ultra-competitive world of recruiting.

I think he'll be at NU for quite a while as he'll leave a legacy that could surpass Danny Nee & Joe Cipriano, perhaps a statue of Tim Miles will be needed by the time he retires from the profession!

It's sort of strange but Miles is the only coach since Moe Iba I have not known on a personal level and none of the others ever seemed to feel quite at home in Lincoln. From what I perceive through the media Tim seems to be different. Maybe you have to be raised on the plains to appreciate what we have here.

It's sort of strange but Miles is the only coach since Moe Iba I have not known on a personal level and none of the others ever seemed to feel quite at home in Lincoln. From what I perceive through the media Tim seems to be different. Maybe you have to be raised on the plains to appreciate what we have here.

I think there can be a lot of knowledge & understanding from experiencing the culture of the people on the plains... makes it even more impressive that New Yorker Danny Nee survived here for as long as he did

$$$$$$ pay him.

Yep. Pay him like it's a destination job and you'll be shocked how quickly it becomes one.

$$$$$$ pay him.

Yep. Pay him like it's a destination job and you'll be shocked how quickly it becomes one.

Could the day be coming where Miles makes as much as Bo?

$$$$$$ pay him.

Could the day be coming where Miles makes as much as Bo?

what does each make now?

Since we have another day for random, totally premature, meaningless posts, I thought I would throw this one out there. After reading Miles interview in USAToday by Ms. Auerbach ( I'll let someone smarter make the link if it hasn't already been done) let's make some assumptions. 1. We'll make the Dance 2. Tim will be COY in Big 10. 3. He'll continue to be media darling and draw national attention.

Now, does anyone think lots of "better programs" won't be trying to lure him elsewhere?  (snipped)

Hey, I'm all about random, premature, meaningless posts.

I don't know if this will end up being his destination job but Nebraska has a lot to offer for a guy like Miles.  Proximity to family is a good one.  I have to think it's not just about Miles, though.  He's married.  He has young kids.  And I gotta believe the wife would want their kids to enjoy some stability and grow up in one place.  And you about can't find a better community for a family like theirs than here in Lincoln.

Jobs I think Miles would leave for:

Kansas

Indiana

Michigan State

Ohio State

Duke

UNC

Louisville

Kentucky

Regardless, if any of the above programs actually want our coach, that probably means we're a consistent Top 25 team and making Sweet 16s every year, so in that case I wouldn't be heartbroken.  But most of these programs are currently coached by legends, so their replacements will likely be from the same coaching tree.  Indiana will go after Brad Stevens if/when they get rid of Crean.

Minnesota may have been Miles' dream job at one point, but I think we are a better job right now.  Minnesota has more in-state talent, but most of that talent leaves the state anyway.  We have much better facilities, and if Miles keeps winning he will be making more money and have better fan support than almost any other coach in the country.