So you knew this was going to happen, but look who is poking the hive

Norm Peterson

My cousin is a Creighton Alum, but also follows Nebraska.  I have always followed Nebraska and Cincinnati  so I have always had to come up with ammo to argue with him.  It isn't hard to argue Creighton sucks when you have another half way respectable program, but with Nebraska it gets a bit more challenging.  (Arguing Creighton is not as good as Cincy is easy, especially when one of Creightons top teams of all time barely defeats one of Cincys worst tourney teams in the last 25 years).

The fact I always used until last years Wichita State run was tourney success.  The last MVC team to get to the Elite Eight was Wichita State in 1981, then you can always fall back on it isn't hard to make the tournament as the #2 program in a mid-major conference.

All Creighton fans have is MVC success, a few tourney wins and success over a consistently bad Nebraska team the last 10 years or so.  Compare them to any other program in the nation and they are mediocre at best.  Give Miles a few years and Creighton fans will be talking about the "glory days"

My cousin is a Creighton Alum, but also follows Nebraska.  I have always followed Nebraska and Cincinnati  so I have always had to come up with ammo to argue with him.  It isn't hard to argue Creighton sucks when you have another half way respectable program, but with Nebraska it gets a bit more challenging.  (Arguing Creighton is not as good as Cincy is easy, especially when one of Creightons top teams of all time barely defeats one of Cincys worst tourney teams in the last 25 years).

The fact I always used until last years Wichita State run was tourney success.  The last MVC team to get to the Elite Eight was Wichita State in 1981, then you can always fall back on it isn't hard to make the tournament as the #2 program in a mid-major conference.

All Creighton fans have is MVC success, a few tourney wins and success over a consistently bad Nebraska team the last 10 years or so.  Compare them to any other program in the nation and they are mediocre at best.  Give Miles a few years and Creighton fans will be talking about the "glory days"

THIS....I always have said "What if CU were 50 miles away from KU."  Then who do they compare themselves too?  Look, we as NU fans know the lack of success that NU has had in the hoops the past 15 years.  But I also know that CU isn't exactly dominating the basketball world (especially come March).  Don't get me wrong, they have a damn good team this year...damn good.  But, from the CU fans I do talk to, they know this year they need to make a run or it may not happen for a long time.  They will always bring up "Yeah, NU fans said the same thing with Funk, Tolliver, Korver, etc...."  Well there are 2 reasons that things are different now.  1) Dana Altman isn't your coach anymore 2) You are in the Big East, so you need better players year in and year out.  This years team has been playing together for 4-5 years now and all of the pieces fell perfectly into place.  Throw in that you aren't getting another Doug McDermott anytime soon.  They will bring up Funk, Tolliver, Korver, etc...Last time I checked none of those guys were All-Americans the way Doug is.  IF they would ever happen to find another great player like that, kudos to them.  But Coach Mac hasn't exactly proven he is a great recruiter outside of his son.

25-21 NU all-time vs. CU.  They made a nice run.  The run is over.  We're about to start winning in Omaha and in Lincoln.  That record will spread out in NU's favor again starting next year.  It's probably stupid to rip on a program in its entirety if you can't even beat them head to head more than they beat you.

That said, CU has a great team this year.  

That said, I can't wait to see the piece of garbage they put on the floor in the future.

Your mixed emotions post of the day.

Creighton's next 4 opponents

Seton Hall - Bubble team

Xavier - Bubble team

Georgetown - Bubble team

Providence - Bubble team

If it comes down to the last 4 in and out, Creighton could get us into the dance by not giving other Big East teams wins and raising our RPI number.  They could inadvertently put us in the dance by winning. Ahhhhhhhh 

It makes sense though if you think about it. You would be hurt too if your team was 21-4, ranked #2 by KenPom, ranked in the Top 15 of both major polls, have the POY, and a "team of a lifetime", all the while a bubble team 50 miles down the road who happens to be a rival of yours was getting WAY more local and national attention and positive momentum surrounding their program. It's fear that's being released from their mouths...they know what coming.

It makes sense though if you think about it. You would be hurt too if your team was 21-4, ranked #2 by KenPom, ranked in the Top 15 of both major polls, have the POY, and a "team of a lifetime", all the while a bubble team 50 miles down the road who happens to be a rival of yours was getting WAY more local and national attention and positive momentum surrounding their program. It's fear that's being released from their mouths...they know what coming.

The funny thing is they post the exact opposite on their board. They think we are jealous of the spotlight they are receiving in our best run in a long time. Lol. Not quite. They beat a top 10 team at home for their biggest home win in decades on the same day we won on the road at top 10 Michigan State. Which game was everyone talking about on Monday? I can't remember hearing a single thing about CU-Villanova. Creighton can go do its thing. Win the regular season title, help boost our RPI and bubble. Get a 2 or 3 seed, win a couple games, reach the Sweet 16 maybe finally, and then probably get eliminated. See you next year. Petteway, Pitchford, Shields and Webster eagerly await Brooks, Artino, Dingman and Chapman.

Fans are hypersensitive in Omaha, Lincoln and every other place (look at comment sections or twitter after any minor swipe is made against any pro or college team in America).  Since one of the frequent provocateurs of Jays fans is the same OWH guy who spends his Fall getting hundreds of Nebraska fans upset over perceived offenses, it’s pretty clear to me that both the Jays and the Huskers have a lot of oversensitive fans.  Either that or all of the people upset with Dirk’s football writing are Jayskers.

As for obsession or fear about the other team, there is ample evidence on Huskers boards and the Bluejay Underground to suggest that it’s mutual among the dozens of people who actually post with any frequency on any of those boards.  For instance, I’m not sure why there was a need to start this thread on the main board in the midst of an unbelievably awesome stretch of play.  Ditto for Jays fans who do the same.

Anyway, I think that since message board fans are considerably more obsessive, fanatical, and sensitive to slights than casual fans, it’s foolish to make too many assumptions based on what you read here, or RSS, or Husker Board, or Bluejay Underground, or anywhere else on the internet.  I know there are a lot of obnoxious Creighton fans out there.  I was a Creighton student.  They’re prevalent, although hardly the majority.  I also know, as someone who has spent plenty of time in Nebraska, that there are greater numbers of annoying Nebraska fans, based on the facts that Nebraska is the state school, is a much bigger school, and will always have more fans.  Again though, it’s a vocal minority.

I like this board.  This board is too good for threads like this.  That’s just my opinion.

Anyone who still listens to 1620, I strongly suggest listening to 93.7 FM in the afternoons. It's more Husker basketball talk than you could ever imagine.

I got so sick of Jake Bogus that I gave up on the Ticket. One listener isn't going to hurt them in the least. Honestly the only time I listed to AM/FM anymore is when the Huskers are playing...although I lost the game on the way to Kearnery when the MSU. I switched over to satellite and caught the game on Sirius XM. Those play by play announcers were boring as hell but it was still the game.

I was really hoping to come to this site and see no attention given to Miles' comment from the Husker side to only further reinforce who really has their Ralph Lauren, designer boxer briefs in a wad.

I was at a bar in Omaha for the Mich State game and there was a table of sCUm fans waiting for the Nova game to start; while passionately cheering against Nebraska.  Pretty ironic how a fan base which routinely makes the sweeping generalization that, "Husker fans are uneducated when it comes to basketball," would not recognize that a Nebraska win would help their situation.  

With regard to Creighton's remaining schedule against bubble teams, I feel filthy knowing that I'm going to have to cheer for the guys in the penny loafers for the next few weeks.  

...would not recognize that a Nebraska win would help their situation.  

Not to give Creighton too much credit, but a loss to us this year would have done more for us than harm for them when it comes to the tournament. It's petty that they'd root against us, however. Maybe I'm generalizing, but most Nebrasketball fans just flat out don't care how Creighton is doing (not rooting against them). My guess is that the only thing Creighton can hold onto is that Nebraska hasn't won a game in the Big Dance which is why those fans were rooting for us to lose.

I went to school in Nebraska, graduated from Nebraska - I could care less about Creighton.  Outside of the once a year game we play against Creighton I could care less what they are up to.  As a Nebraska fan I don't mind seeing them win out and help us in the process, my dislike for Creighton doesn't even come close to that much disdain.  You could also take Miles comment another direction.  If University of Nebraska allowed beer to be served in the PBA, there's no doubt there would be Lincoln folks in the halls as well. 

I went to school in Nebraska, graduated from Nebraska - I could care less about Creighton.  Outside of the once a year game we play against Creighton I could care less what they are up to.  As a Nebraska fan I don't mind seeing them win out and help us in the process, my dislike for Creighton doesn't even come close to that much disdain.  You could also take Miles comment another direction.  If University of Nebraska allowed beer to be served in the PBA, there's no doubt there would be Lincoln folks in the halls as well. 

You're exactly right.  But Creighton fans want to have it both ways.  They want to dog on Nebraska for home attendance compared to their own, but then also discount the impact that alcohol and "being seen" has on their home crowds.  

I wish CU well the rest of the year.  It is my sincere hope that the nearly 2 decades of Sweet 16 hype will materialize for them this season.

Wouldn't it be great for perennial underachiever for a decade, now under a renewed, enthusiastic regime to make the Sweet Sixteen before the blue boys' "team of a lifetime" does in their new & not-really-improved big-east... maybe it's more dreamin' than reality this season, but it's fun to imagine it being so! If CU happens to do well in the big dance this season, then, oh well, it's no skin off my back. The casual fans are still here in the big O, they're just tired of being let down by their Huskers in hoops (and on the gridiron, for that matter). I believe NU will return Omaha to being a more red-clad city year-round soon enough. It's only a matter of time...

While we continue to get little to no love from national media, the jays are getting lots of love from computers. Predictionmachine.com has them as the most likely team to win the NCAA Tournament.

http://predictionmachine.com/NCAA-Tournament-Bracket-Analysis-02252014

I would tend to disagree (pretty strongly actually) but to each its own. At least their fans are now expecting a Final Four appearance and will be very depressed when it doesn't happen.

I'd be surprised if they don't make a legitimate run at a NC.  DM is a ridiculous player, and they're experienced.  The best players to have in college are the ones that aren't quite good enough to leave early, a la DM.  Shane Battier, Mateen Cleaves, Khalid El Amin, Tyler Hansbrough, etc. come to mind.  Hopefully Petteway is that guy for us in a couple of years.

What CU doesn't have is any decent underclassmen.  Usually, it's the combo of experience and young talent that gets the NC.  

We'll see, but I can't wait for next year (and the years after)... I think DM bought his dad at least a decade of mediocrity before any moves are made, and that's exciting.   

The Jays and NU's success has brought some national attention to the state of Nebraska about ...basketball!!!  I think thats a good thing.  Creighton should be disappointed if they don't make the Sweet 16 at minimum and NU should still be hopeful of an appearance in this year's tournament.  There are still important regular season games to be played for both schools.  I wish them both success, because I believe it's good for any national attention about basketball for the state of Nebraska.

By the way, NU fans should pull for Creighton to beat Xavier this week.  That might knock Xavier closer to the bubble.